Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54semaphore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've got dad's old engine here and could use some help figuring out what I've got since it's been under the trainboard at the parent's for about 50 years and now I've dusted it off. Here's what I have pieced together from memory or family members:

In about 1963 he bought "the Denzel" from his friend Dave and installed it in the '54 oval he was driving that mom had gotten in one of VW's programs where you pick up your new car at the factory. Since he had bought mom a new '61 we were then a 2 Bug family until we wouldn't fit anymore and in '66 he bought a bigger car, pulled the Denzel and sold the '54. Crying or Very sad Anyway, he loved that engine and it served a few more years duty in the '61 until it developed a gland nut oil leak and was removed from service in 1969 or '70.

I suspect his friend Jim Eichorn originally built dad's Denzel. Jim was a local Denver machinist who raced a Denzel powered, Devin body car at regional road race tracks like CDR and dad would sometimes pit for him. Jim shared shop space with Harvey Stuska who built Stuska Dynomometers. I remember being taken to their shop as a very small child and all I remember is that I liked the smell! (Portent of Automotive Doom!) Shocked

Here's what I found after cleaning it up a little:
- Case stamped 1684592, 36hp, right? Year?
- Bore: 77mm
- Stroke: about 69.5mm, so about 1295cc displacement
Dad always said it had a Porsche crank, I think I've got the right photos to
tell...
- Combustion chambers show approx. normal combustion
- Mallory distributor # YL-541-HP

What can you guys tell me? Whether I keep it or not, the more I know the better. Thanks in advance! Here come the photos.

Here it is mocked up with heads, intake, carbs, fuel and throttle

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rest of the photos:

That is an extra pair of carbs and bell crank. Also a pair of intake ram tubes that would definitely not fit a Type1. Would the ram tubes have been a Denzel product?

Last edited by 54semaphore on Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

My dream engine right there ..can I have it please 😢
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

That's is one insane vintage speed engine, Thanks for the picts of this rare masterpiece!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Nice! This is awesome that it has been kept around this long.
You probably know this but Denzels are worth $$$$$

Sorry I can't answer any of the questions except for:
Quote:
- Case stamped 1684592, 36hp, right? Year?

Yes.

January, 1957
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

WOW. Shocked

Thanks for sharing. I don't have much to offer, other than I'd love to own it.

My father-in-law was into trains and had a train board; when we moved it after his passing the only thing under it was more train stuff. Dammit.
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Nice piece of engine Very Happy
I dont think its a Porsche crank, dont think they made 69,5 mm stroke. I think it could be an Okrasa crank. Rods sems to be regular 36 hp.
Good luck with the engine Very Happy
54semaphore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Ok, so far we have:

- Denzel heads and manifolds
- 1957 36hp
- Okrasa crank (Bengt H, another member PMed me agreeing with your crank ID)
- VW rods

Thanks everyone!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Interesting Heads like a cross between 25-36 horse and Porsche 356 heads. Looks like it uses Porsche 356 manifolds and Solex PBIC-32 which were on the 1600 Porsche engine through 56!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Cool motor!
Did you get any exhaust with it?

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
54semaphore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Thanks!
Sadly, there was no exhaust and I don’t remember any floating around the garage either.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Looks like standard Porsche 356 912 Exhaust system head to exhaust flanges.
54semaphore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Thanks, that is a helpful suggestion!
Maybe someone else can confirm that Porsche/Denzel exhaust flange equivalence.
OMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Hello 54semaphore,
Porsche 356 exhaust flanges will not work.
Flanges are available from Speedwell USA.
Best Regards,
Al
Big_E_Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

This engine is junk, when can I come pick it up? Very Happy

First off, I would keep it because it was your Dads. Especially if you're in to VW's. Second, because it's not likely you find another. And finally, they are super expensive and you'll be the only guy on your block with a Denzel.

Seems like your Dad knew then how special they are.....Sells car, not engine. Enjoy it!

1958 VW Beetle - "Max": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
1959 VW Bus - "Hans" - Double Door Panel (sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746927
2014 Porsche 991.1 Carrera S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Very Cool piece of history......but I wanna see the train board Laughing Marklin by any chance?

brad
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Pretty sure Okrasa cranks were stamped as such.
I tore apart a vintage speed engine and found a 69.5. Crank that turned out to have an EMPI stamp.
The exhaust ports are too fat for Porsche, they are too square.
Super cool engine!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

any chance the denzel heads are for sale? I am willing to possible buy them.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

I believe Mr Okrasa here on the Samba may be a good source for information on Denzel. Unfortunately most of the Vintage Speed engines and parts have been lost to history. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with this amazing Vintage Speed engine!
'63 OG 117
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Awesome vintage performance find!

I know a little about Denzel heads, not as much as OMT Al, but some. They are a weird animal, very different by design than the 36hp vw head they replaced, used a bunch of proprietary 'denzel only' parts which drove up the price, which probably explains why they didn't sell many, compared to Okrasa 36hp heads.

I've had the good fortune to examine several vintage performance heads side by side, stock 36hp, Okrasa, Denzel, then a performance 1600 style head.

I've also looked over Hemi chamber 356 heads, which have a few things that look like Denzel, but none of the Porsche parts interchange. Denzel incorporated a wedge chamber, 356 is hemispherical, completely different design philosophies.

When you look at the Denzel head design, you can see they really started from a clean sheet of paper, understanding the several design limitation of the 36hp vw, and made a slick performance dual port kit that took advantage of the overhead valves and the best understanding of modern engine design.

Looking at a Denzel head, it's as though the designers were far ahead of their time. They closely resemble a more modern performance T1 head. An Okrasa head by contrast, has dual ports going for it, but not much other improvement over the heads they replaced. It seems Okrasa designed around the existing vw stuff, to keep the retail cost down, but added dual ports and dual carbs, definitely an improvement, but left a lot on the table. Denzel took a much different approach.

The 36hp vw head has valves in line with the bore, straight. So does Okrasa. Denzel valves are angled, about 5degrees from memory, maybe more, for improved intake and exhaust port flow, helping to better flow air into the bore, away from the cylinder wall restrictions. This angle means Denzel heads require their own proprietary rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters, intake manifolds and exhaust flange and stub-pipes too, so it all works in a 36hp case. An Okrasa conversion on the otherhand, re-uses all the vw parts except the intake manifolds.

The intake runners are also improved. Stock 36hp is split, and makes all these abrupt turns. Okrasa isn't much better, other than dual ports, moving the split further up the runner, inside the head the ports still take an abrupt 90 turn. Denzel intake ports make a nice lazy turn, thanks to a better valve 'pocket', angled valves and a cast manifold that continues the lazy curve. All things that we know today, make a better flowing intake tract.

The combustion chamber design is another prime example of Denzel evolution in design. Stock 36hp vw and Okrasa both have this antique open chamber design. Never considered 'performance' and is only slightly better than an ole flathead. On the other hand Denzel, later stock vw T1, and every T1 performance/race heads all capitalize on 1960's and 70's state of the art wedge combustion chamber design, that incorporate 'quench pads', proven to increase combustion efficiency. 36hp vw and Okrasa chambers are more 'state of the Ark' as in Noah's Ark, but that's what they had, and they reportedly ran good enough on awful fuel, so there's that.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Dad's Denzel engine, what have I got here? Porsche crank? Reply with quote

Nice write up on the Denzel v Okrasa differences.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: