Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Red Bus "Ooooh that smell...Can't you smell that smell? Purple Bus

My bus is not a daily driver, and sometimes I go a few days before pulling open the slider and sitting on the battered bench in the back. My nostrils flare, and I take in that classic, funky VW smell. What does it smell like...?

Like heady horsehair incense, sea salt and old man funk with the unmistakable pungency of gasoline and motor oil.

It's a smell that fills my lungs and gives me euphoria everytime. It says, "Let's go for a cruise!"

What does yours smell like? Pray, do tell! Be poetic!

Last edited by Scottn59c on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

When I bought it, the van smelled like weed and dirty nasty sweaty dude funk. Then I power washed all the interior cloth bits.

Now my gf says it smells like pb blaster. But she can't tell the difference between ps fluid, brake kleen, and pb blaster. It's all pb blaster to her. Lol. To me? It smells like good regular maintenance.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Rotten milk! Twisted Evil Sad Smile It's from a single serving bottle that I lost track of one day. I had no trouble finding it when it's lid blew off after a few hot days last summer...

Hans
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Mine had 30 years of melted crayons, children's candy behind the panels and the like. But I pulled the entire interior, wiped every body cavity with bleach water, steam cleaned the seats and carpet, and redyed the headliner a beautiful clean white. After that a total paint job including inside the doors, hatch and slider, then reassembled with insulation in the body cavities.

So mine smells really fresh, actually. Traces of 'new' remain.

But I do know what you mean about old car smells. Not unpleasant, more like the traces of the vehicle's rich history, and on a quiet summer day sitting in a vehicle like that with nobody around and dead silence, you can just let your mind wander from when the car was someone's brand new pride and joy, all the way to the present.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

At the moment, fresh paint (just painted the interior).
Kiba
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Black Ice little tree's !
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

My first syncro project had an eye watering smell of cigarettes, old weed and concentrated dog piss. The last owner would leave their pitbull in the van while they did errands. I literally had to stick my head out the window to drive it home.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

My van smells like mold and mildew. The local bus smells like sweat, diesel and commercial cleaner.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

the tin top smells of my childhood memories, riding in the back of my father's white, early 70's VW Beetle. it's a hot day, the Beetle has been sitting in the sun with the windows closed. we open the door and the smell of heat, the thick rubbery olfactory of vinyl seats, the pasty combination of grease and oil cut with a dash of gasoline from the engine all come together as my dad pulls the seat forward so i can climb in back. the heat bakes the aroma deeply into your being.

the Westy smells of a faint, dried death. a slightly sharp yet vague odor, that has a more harsh powdery feel then fragrance that gets you in the throat as it eddy's up into your mouth as you inhale. it's the same smell that wafts around AT shelters in late April, as the snakes move in to feast on the mice.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Stages, my Vanagon smells of whatever project I’m working through with it at the time. Rust Encapsulator when it was way warmer outside than it is now.
Butyl Rubber when I was installing Dynamat
Spray Wax in lots of crevices underneath along with Internal Frame Paint got lots of smells going.... Wink Wink

But neutral, at a stand still, with all the dust settled and sanding and brushing is at a halt, it smells old, old German at that..... Razz
Not Mercedes old, but old VW. More Noticeable in hot weather.... Smile
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

There is nothing like the smell of a classic Beetle with the fuel filler in the trunk, absolutely nothing.
To me, That is the smell of being young.

My experience with camper Vans is the smell of spilled rotted food, body odor of previous owners and dead rodents.
A putrid smell it is.

Gut it out and clean it 100%.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Just old, I can't really describe it. Old, combined with minivan full of kids, and coolant from a recently leaking rear heater core. I've only had the van a couple months, and the previous owner was using it as a full time kid hauler. I'm still deep cleaning every nook and cranny, which should hopefully help. Of course now I'm fighting a damp musty smell after shampooing all the seats and carpets, since it's too cold and wet around here this time of year to dry out the interior well, even with setting up a space heater for a few hours. The other day I cleaned what I can only hope was melted crayons and god knows how old strawberry jam out of the ash trays. Rolling Eyes
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Thirty-year-old vinyl, GoWesty rubber floor mats, with a hint of newish Recaro leather, and occasional cleaners. Eau de Vanagon.🤷‍♀️
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I feel so fortunate that my Bus has no adverse odors about it, especially compared to some I've read here. I know in the early VW's, it is the coconut fiber seat padding that gives them their fantastic smell. I decided long ago that if/when I own another early model VW, after I redo the interior, I'll stash old seat padding in it to apply the classic fragrance.

My '86 Westfalia bears the comforting aroma of an aging Bus. Not like the early Buses, but the smells that a Vanagon interior provides. It's aromatherapy to me.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Depends.

Clean Sheets. White Sage. Ranch Style Beans.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Chai lattes and kale sautéed in organic virgin olive oil
porschevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Mine usually smells like bacon and campfire. Laughing
1974 Porsche 914 (sold)
1976 Westfalia (sold)
1981 Westfalia (EJ25 Subrau conversion)
2007 Passat 3.6 (daily driver)
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Depends.

Dan

That's a weird thing to have your van smell like.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Mouse pee!! I haven't had good weather to clean out the new purchase yet. 1983 factory diesel...once the engine is in an running I'm sure to have essence of old school Diesel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

When we bought it in '06 the van still had what I thought was a hint of residual new-car scent. It smelled like my old Dasher did back in the '80s, an inimitable VW smell. It clung for years but has recently been supplanted by Irish Spring (for the mices) and before that Damp Rid (during long-term parking).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: