Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Ummm........ no.
I just checked the abuse/trash file....... there is nothing removed in there from either of you.
Are you sure you hit "submit" ?
I've done this. Just forgot the last step of making a post. I then went crazy looking for it, or I posted it in a different thread than I intended to........ 🤷‍♂️

Dave

That is totally within my M.O.....

But I saw it posted, patted myself on the back for my cleverness, of course.
Commended myself for the levity it afforded our beatdown members,
persevering, struggling under the legacy of such terrible machines.

Maybe some kinda 'reload' happened.

Have you noticed any "weather" balloons hovering nearby?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I pushed my car out of the garage, took the roof off, fired a bottle rocket and shot it down.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
I don't think I can talk myself into hand-washing. I'll try one curtain on the delicate cycle on my front loader LG and report back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then you might consider an oversized "delicate laundry" bag, which can help prevent machine damage to ... you know, delicates.

Don't overstuff it, as seen above, but leave it loose enough for adequate washing.

They're also sometimes referred to as "lingerie wash" bags, but the median demographic here on the Samba hasn't seen lingerie since the Reagan administration ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I'm very sure many wear ladies undies.

I'll take this under advisement when I wash mine.
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I pushed my car out of the garage, took the roof off, fired a bottle rocket and shot it down.

Thank you. That's a relief.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Late to the party…in my van, all I smell is adventure and unfinished projects…

Embarassed Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

All I smell is nose hair

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I have come to beleive that vans smell like what they have endured.
a short list of smells a proper van has sure to acrue :
Beer,wine, seat farts,french fries , pot smoke, sweat, tears, really bad eggs, 3 generations of incense, spilled milkshake, pot seeds, totaly undefinable crud. wd40, motor oil of several weights, numurous other petrol products, old batteries, old glues , new glues ,old boy /girl friend smells (not any farther there)coke, pepsi, seven up, coffee, tea, pop corn, mcdonalds, burger king et, dogs, dogs and other pets,pet poo, old people, really young people, diapers, baby puke , other puke, your puke, burnt eletrical wires, nasty exhaust, camp firesmoke, oh god where did that come from smoke, cedar, cactus, sea brezee, smog funk, morning brezee, gee whiz louweez, Yup smells like vanagon.. did I mention three generations of incense?

]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709680&highlight=vashon[/url]
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Late to the party…in my van, all I smell is adventure and unfinished projects… bold edit.
Dave

Yeah. Add that to my smell too.

Duncan
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
All I smell is nose hair

hey now, that sort of post will get you deleted!!!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I thought there was a hint of mouse pee from the heater box but I'm not sure.
I'm sure a stranger going for a ride would say cigarette butts.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I missed the smell of babies in my van for a long time. It is A LOT of fun to travel with little ones.
I associated the smell mostly with baby wipes.

Then I discovered that baby wipes are about the best way to get rid of the smell of diesel after filling up.

So now we wipe the dust off the dash, the stove, the floor...and my hands with baby wipes and we are happy again...memories Laughing
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

ya know, i try real hard to keep the van clean in the event of being pulled over. i know times have changed, especially where i live, but i've got this thing from all the years of worrying on dead and phish tour, guilty hippy syndrome.

so the van don't smell like much, but the longer i own it, i find things the PO stashed away, like matchbox cars in the corner of a bumper or other places. Last weekend I found a jar of weed that had to be close to 20 years old. Jar was doing a good job making sure the van didn't smell like weed Laughing

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

https://smile.amazon.com/Meguiars-Whole-Refresher-Odor-Eliminator/dp/B00G49DVGG

These can air fresheners work really well. Just like a bug bomb, you set it off and then shut all doors, and get out of there. You don't want to inhale it. There are several brands, I think I used a Griots one before and liked it better. Either way, it certainly gets rid of the post mountain bike sweaty clothes funk that my van will take on. It lasts about a year or so.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I swear that I'm NOT making this up. I am (AFAIK) the only person in Montana that is trained and certified to use this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQqPhgyV9g&t=12s

I'll have to spend some quality time inside my van but I bet I can tell you all with a high level of accuracy what it smells like (using "odor wheel" descriptors) and how intense that smell is.

But right off hand, I'd say it smells like fun about to happen.
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

I smell smoke--my money burning a hole in my pocket.
That and something that drips and burns off on the exhaust.
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

Somewhere some hipster van lifer is going to buy this expensive stuff just to have their van smell cool .
"Smells like wd40 cologne".......

https://www.papermag.com/mschf-wd40-cologne-2659303851.html#rebelltitem5

https://youtu.be/i5VEjs3nj0g

[/img]
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: That Smell - What does YOUR bus smell like? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
… I'd say it smells like fun about to happen.

As it should, man…as it should. Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: