Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, small updates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pastellgreen
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Germany
pastellgreen is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I'm pretty much in agreement with all of this. A couple of small things. You can bolt on a set of 83mm cylinders and pistons to bring it up to 1380cc IIRC (maybe 1385?). Probably about the same cost as a stock set. Also, if the rocker arms you have are the originals then they have a 1:1 ratio. You could replace them with a set from a later 1500/1600cc motor. Those are 1.1:1 ratio. It will give the motor a bit more grunt off the line. Not much, but I did it on my 63 and I could feel it in the Butt-dyno. Smile


Does a 28 PICT need another jetting for this setup?
_________________
1950 de luxe sedan, pastel green, very original
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714001

1960 de luxe sedan, pearl white original paint
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729339
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member


Joined: October 24, 2012
Posts: 3067
Location: SOUTH DAKOTA
SBD is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

rah253 wrote:

Hey thanks for your reply! maybe im not catching something. My block is a 1600cc already. I would love more grunt either way, but being my first aircooled project i am trying to be careful! Laughing
Sorry, it was late. I was looking at the single port heads and thinking you still had a 1200. Embarassed
_________________
"Just $99 down and $64 a month for 36 months buys you a brand new Volkswagen Beetle!"


mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member


Joined: October 24, 2012
Posts: 3067
Location: SOUTH DAKOTA
SBD is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:

Does a 28 PICT need another jetting for this setup?
When I did it way back in about 1985, I also had a header. I asked a friend of mine who had worked at a VW dealership as a mechanic about jetting for the bigger cylinders. He said, "Most folks just bolt 'em on." so that's what I did. Very Happy Never had a problem with it up until the car was totaled (but still drivable) a few years later. Got really good highway mileage too.
_________________
"Just $99 down and $64 a month for 36 months buys you a brand new Volkswagen Beetle!"


mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member


Joined: January 06, 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Germany
pastellgreen is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:

Does a 28 PICT need another jetting for this setup?
When I did it way back in about 1985, I also had a header. I asked a friend of mine who had worked at a VW dealership as a mechanic about jetting for the bigger cylinders. He said, "Most folks just bolt 'em on." so that's what I did. Very Happy Never had a problem with it up until the car was totaled (but still drivable) a few years later. Got really good highway mileage too.


Thank you!
_________________
1950 de luxe sedan, pastel green, very original
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714001

1960 de luxe sedan, pearl white original paint
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729339
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rah253
Samba Member


Joined: June 07, 2018
Posts: 63
Location: wa
rah253 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, update. Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
rah253 wrote:

Hey thanks for your reply! maybe im not catching something. My block is a 1600cc already. I would love more grunt either way, but being my first aircooled project i am trying to be careful! Laughing
Sorry, it was late. I was looking at the single port heads and thinking you still had a 1200. Embarassed


No worries, i wanted to make sure i didn't miss something!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rah253
Samba Member


Joined: June 07, 2018
Posts: 63
Location: wa
rah253 is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, more updates! Reply with quote

Well, after a week at home due to what is going around and i already had 2 days off planned, i was able to make head way in the project.

I picked up a 1776cc block to start building an engine. My 1600cc that i got with the car (not in the car) was going to require a full rebuilt and due to my time frame on the project, i decided to pick up another block for it. The price was attractive and also the fact to go to a 1776 set up with dual port was hard to pass.

This being my first ever aircooled build, it is taking me a little more time then previewed of course but i am learning a lot. My 2 boys are full on with the project as well and it is nice to spend some time in the shop with those 2!

So far, we have installed new seals on all the windows, i redid the whole brake system on the car, including master cylinder, lines, fitting etc... We have also built the motor to be ready to get in the car soon after we solve the fitting issue for the carb (different post), halfway through figuring out the electrical system and wiring, and acquired all the parts to finish the build which that was a chore to say the least! Next week i will be working on it for 2 days and hoping to progress much more. Here are some pictures, including my son's 66!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member


Joined: June 02, 2004
Posts: 6581
Location: Pearl River, NY
Rome is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, small updates Reply with quote

Going for the 1776 engine is probably a wise move given your time frame to get the Beetle driveable. Do you have details from the seller as to the internals, and what parts are new? Will you keep the single stock carb to get it running?

Where did those Weber DCN or DCNF carbs and manifolds come from? Cool Or is that a single center-mount carburetor since you are also showing stock DP end castings?

As to the heads on your original engine, I also think you can save them with a good cleaning. Good practice on how to save parts that seem too far gone at first glance and build up the original engine when you have time. I have saved at least 3 pairs of used heads that had similar amounts of corrosion/debris in them.
-I first wash the heads in solvent (5 gallon HW store plastic bucket with 1/2 gallon of either kerosene or mineral spirits) with a regular fiber-bristle cleaning brush, to get the oil and grease off.
-Next use a hand-held BRASS bristle brush. I have 2 sizes; one like a large toothbrush, and the other is larger with the bristle row length about 3". Both of those will get a lot of the crap off the combustion chambers; and the small one for the intake port edges.
-Dry off the heads, and use a round brass bristle brush wheel in a variable speed drill (wear safety goggles) to get into the combustion chamber contours and corners. Should do the trick.
-Once the valves are out, I use the same tools to get to the valve seats. Don't use steel bristle brushes, because those can dig into the aluminum.

In this shot, the right front fender's rear lower contour of the wheel opening is sticking out too far. You can gently push the fender inwards toward the center of the car with your hands, so that the contour is "vertical" instead of tilting outward towards the bottom. Usually just one hand at the lower corner bend (transition to the horizontal lower edge) and the other hand just above it will be enough. Then check the driver's front fender if similar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member


Joined: November 23, 2005
Posts: 1285
Location: North Carolina
fl59bug is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, small updates Reply with quote

I know its a little off topic, but I LOVE the blacked out cal-look window rubber with black sunroof cover. I personally want a tan/beige '63 rag one of these days and I'll give it the same black on black treatment.

Also I love the wheels on the other car. Are those Empi-style 5 spokes or 8 spokes, or torque-thrust style?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rah253
Samba Member


Joined: June 07, 2018
Posts: 63
Location: wa
rah253 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, small updates Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Going for the 1776 engine is probably a wise move given your time frame to get the Beetle driveable. Do you have details from the seller as to the internals, and what parts are new? Will you keep the single stock carb to get it running?

Where did those Weber DCN or DCNF carbs and manifolds come from? Cool Or is that a single center-mount carburetor since you are also showing stock DP end castings?

As to the heads on your original engine, I also think you can save them with a good cleaning. Good practice on how to save parts that seem too far gone at first glance and build up the original engine when you have time. I have saved at least 3 pairs of used heads that had similar amounts of corrosion/debris in them.
-I first wash the heads in solvent (5 gallon HW store plastic bucket with 1/2 gallon of either kerosene or mineral spirits) with a regular fiber-bristle cleaning brush, to get the oil and grease off.
-Next use a hand-held BRASS bristle brush. I have 2 sizes; one like a large toothbrush, and the other is larger with the bristle row length about 3". Both of those will get a lot of the crap off the combustion chambers; and the small one for the intake port edges.
-Dry off the heads, and use a round brass bristle brush wheel in a variable speed drill (wear safety goggles) to get into the combustion chamber contours and corners. Should do the trick.
-Once the valves are out, I use the same tools to get to the valve seats. Don't use steel bristle brushes, because those can dig into the aluminum.

In this shot, the right front fender's rear lower contour of the wheel opening is sticking out too far. You can gently push the fender inwards toward the center of the car with your hands, so that the contour is "vertical" instead of tilting outward towards the bottom. Usually just one hand at the lower corner bend (transition to the horizontal lower edge) and the other hand just above it will be enough. Then check the driver's front fender if similar.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Hey thanks for the reply. I also think that going for the 1776 was the better choice for sure, and a little more HP is nice as well. actually traded plus a little cash the old bare block and heads for the carburators and the intake you see pictured. Yes it's for center mounted.

I posted another post with the carbs details and the issues i'm running into. I got a 32 36 progressive Weber with the intake and was given the 44 DCNF carb in case the other one wasn't working. Well, the 32 36 needs a rebuilt and the 44 don't fit on the intake of course... I'm trying to see if i can find an intake that would mount that 44. I got family that gave me another 32 36 progressive that is good but needs a few brackets, got to figure which route to take at this point. I researched a little bit and a lot of people like the 44 with the 1776. I guess i will do with what is available first and go from there.

Thanks for the hints on cleaning the old block but like i said i traded it so no go on this for now. Once the car is running and functions properly, i was actually thinking of picking up an old motor to rebuilt, not necessarily to run it in our car but just to learn really!

Thanks for the hint on the fender, i did not even got to that yet or noticed it. I will definitely follow your input and address it prior to installing the running boards back on her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rah253
Samba Member


Joined: June 07, 2018
Posts: 63
Location: wa
rah253 is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So it starts now, the rebuild of our 63 rag, small updates Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
I know its a little off topic, but I LOVE the blacked out cal-look window rubber with black sunroof cover. I personally want a tan/beige '63 rag one of these days and I'll give it the same black on black treatment.

Also I love the wheels on the other car. Are those Empi-style 5 spokes or 8 spokes, or torque-thrust style?


Hey thank you for that! I felt the same way, a little hesitant at the start but decided to go for the Cal look since the rag is black and the car will retain it's patina anyways, with a little chrome, thought it would be great. The other reason is also for the fact that the chrome trim is a pain to install when doing window install from what i heard so double bonus there.

The wheels on my son's 66 are in fact Empi 5! He is waiting on a 5 inch narrow beam so he can lower it. the car has disc break all the way around, so it needs a narrow beam to come down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB