Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New tires for my 67 bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

Who has good tires? Couldn't find any Michelin.
Took the 67 out for her first drive in months. My bad - I didn't check tire pressure. Lost two tires so I am replacing all four.
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

I'm thinking about these....but, they certainly aren't cheap!
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.j...iameter=17
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

Hankook
Nexen
Kuhmo..

All are comparable.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

Stock 67?

Coker has some nice looking Firestone F560 radials 165/80 R15 for $95 each...
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/brands/firestone-tires/firestone-f560.html

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

I just put on thunderer mach1 tires from amazon $76 each.i really like them . I had nexen and nankang before that. both did not last long. and did not do good in the rain. the thunderer's have a tread pattern similar to the firestones. $20 cheaper. I don't know how to share the link.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

Yep - a stock 67
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

After wearing out 2 sets of the inexpensive Nexens on my ‘67 Beetle Over 35,000 miles, I decided to pony up and buy a set of Michelin XZX tires from Coker. Expensive but hopefully worth the premium price over the Asians.
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

I run continental CT22 tyres, 165/80. They look nice and they’re a quality tyre.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

This summer I put on four NANKANG CX-668 tires with about 4 ounces of beads in each tire.
Very smooth.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

The Hankook, Nexen, Kuhmo, Nankang, and Thunderer are all modern mainstream tires.

Anything from Coker, like the Firestones/Michelins, are made by Coker using the molds purchased from the original manufacturer.

The Cal-Look 145 Nankangs with the most recent CX-668 tread design works great on my Super, and 67. I just got 4 165 Nexens for a customer’s Super, and they are smooth as glass. Just the name Thunderer sounds pretty silly to me, but I have some of their on/off road tires on my 05 Silverado that are great.

Unless you are set on a tread design, or need the logo for a show car, I’ve gotten many mixed reviews on the reproductions Coker has.
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

Thanks All. Getting a better idea of what I need!
Dave
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

I went to Les Schwab and ordered a set of tires in 165/80R-15 that are the same brand and tread design as the ones on the wifes car. They have been a great tire( I think they have close to 65K on them and are due for replacement) and have the added bonus of free tire repair. The bug tires were $94 dollars each $506 out the door with mounting and balance. I had Cokers on a 57 Oval that never saw much mileage, but I dont think they would have been a good tire for a car driven many miles a year.
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

Went with the 165HR-15 VREDESTEIN SPRINT CLASSIC SL. Woof! on price but will be worth it? Thanks rcroane and one of my local experts for the referral.
Dave
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Went with the 165HR-15 VREDESTEIN SPRINT CLASSIC SL. Woof! on price but will be worth it? Thanks rcroane and one of my local experts for the referral.
Dave

Excellent choice! I keep forgetting that Vredestein has a 165 tire. I guess mostly due to the fact that VW enthusiasts RARELY buy the more expensive choices. It’s a nice period appearing radial tire that is as high, or even higher in quality than all others mentioned.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Dave

Where did you purchase them? Tire Rack?
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

yep - $533.00 delivered with 2 yr hazard warranty.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

I should probably go ahead and replace mine....check out the date code on my current tires! They are AT LEAST 22 years old....I have no idea when they were put on. I've owned the car for almost 9 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

OK - mounted and balanced. Woof.
Question - the max pressure on them is 51 PSI!!!! I lowered the pressure to 40 from what they were filled and went for a ride. I'm thinking that is too much pressure - bet great gas mileage but a bit of a rough ride.
Recommendations?
Dave
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Question - the max pressure on them is 51 PSI!!!! I lowered the pressure to 40 from what they were filled and went for a ride. I'm thinking that is too much pressure - bet great gas mileage but a bit of a rough ride.
Recommendations?
Dave

I run mine at 18 psi (front) and 28 psi (rear). I think the owner's manual specifies slightly lower than those levels.
AoxoMoxoA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: New tires for my 67 bug Reply with quote

daven wrote:
Recommendations?

Never fill tires to, or near their max pressure. Newer vehicles have tire pressure recommendations in the driver door jamb, but for the '67 Beetle, I believe it is labeled on the fuel tank.

Anyhow, it should be in the neighborhood of: Fronts / 16psi, Rears / 26psi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: