Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

Hi all.

For an '88 transaxle 3/4 slider hub.

If the 3/4 slider hub is cracking or broken, with shift linkage disconnected from selector at tranny, when working selector, would I feel a difference shifting into 1 vs 3 ? i.e. more effort required to shift into 3 ? or same for 1 vs 4 ?

Tranny shifts ok in colder weather, gets better when warmed up, has had no shift issues. Clutch is near new, linkage looks ok. 2nd gear "catchs" slightly sometimes. ("normal").

Symptoms:

- Lately, it takes a little more effort to shift into 3 from 2 and between 3 and 4. That "effort" has almost a vague or not so positive feel. Especially for 3. Hard to describe. I also feel a random bit of gear catch shifting into 3. Those symptoms didn't suddenly appear but were noticeable of late so could be "sudden" changes.

- heard squeak in linkage shifting into 3. Lubing linkage made overall shifting much easier, might've slightly improved the above symptoms but they seem to remain

Do these symptoms sound like a failing 3/4 hub?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

Generally the 3/4 shift is the easiest to select by hand at the transaxle. The other gears require you to move shift assembly in to then select 1/2 or reverse. The same is true when shifting from the seat.

Forgetting the shift from second to third. How smooth is the shift between 3 and 4? Or 4/3? If you check my photos, there is a picture from my Syncro with a broken 3/4 hub. All the parts were retained in place and no indication the hub was broken. I found it doing something unrelated in the transaxle.

Once it starts flinging the working parts, I would expect it harder to move between 3 and 4 and if the catches have fallen out, grinding on shift would be expected. Nothing to retain and operate the synchronizer rings.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

Interesting discussion for slider hub diagnostics.

Shifting from 2nd to 3rd involves moving the 3rd gear slider from Neutral to rearward, so it does involve the 3-4 slider moving rearward.

It seems higher ground speeds can throw broken hub parts outward, making it harder to slide?

Does ground speed make a difference in shifting effort?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Generally the 3/4 shift is the easiest to select by hand at the transaxle. The other gears require you to move shift assembly in to then select 1/2 or reverse.

... How smooth is the shift between 3 and 4? Or 4/3? If you check my photos, there is a picture from my Syncro with a broken 3/4 hub. All the parts were retained in place and no indication the hub was broken.

Once it starts flinging the working parts, I would expect it harder to move between 3 and 4 ....

Great point: the medium effort required to push and "hold" selector shaft in toward driver side while shifting 1/2 would make it tough to compare that feel to 3/4.

I don't know exactly how the hub et al work. Studying your pics and Bentley, might help me better understand how to interpret what I might be feeling at shifter in cab.

So your pics suggest that the hub can fracture in a way that isn't obvious? It fell apart when assembly was taken apart? This:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638819&highlight=slider+hub

suggests that the 3 hub might be inspected to some degree with selector shaft removed but failure mode can happen in an insidious manner it seems so assessment would be tough via that means, no diss to the suggestion.

I will test further but I checked 3/4 shifting while driving and could feel the extra effort required and the sort of vagueness VS 1/2. I'll check same at idle and with engine off clutch in and out.

On a used tranny I had, it eventually would start sticking in 3rd. I assumed the hub was going or gone. Never did ask rebuilder what he found.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Does ground speed make a difference in shifting effort?

I only tested that a few times but no. Slower or normal ground (vehicle) speed, level ground, it still takes about the same added effort to shift into 3 from 2 or between 3/4.

I will test further and confirm.

Really appreciate the help folks. Was going to take a long trip in that van but may avoid for now.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

I don’t have a photo uploaded, but another problem is the mainshaft bearing. It can come loose in the case. The input shaft can move so much 3rd gear idler will grind into the shift shaft.

So you could pull the shift shaft fairly easily, inspect it and look at the slider assembly, but as mentioned in the thread you linked, you won’t see much.

Neil, your a DIY guy. Rather than ship my transmission back and forth across the country, I bought the 3 main tools and did it myself.

You can go to Weddles website and get most of what you need. You can also see a picture of the assembled shift sleeve assemblies. The new 3/4 outer ring is still not available. I used the 1/2 outer ring on a hub I purchased from Gears.

The 091/1 is fairly straightforward to disassemble and reassemble. I made all the other tools I needed. We have a good supply of different OD tubing which helps. You’ll need a press. I used a piece of wood to drive the pinion shaft out. I used the shop bbq to heat the case to install the pinion.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I don’t have a photo uploaded, but another problem is the mainshaft bearing. It can come loose in the case. The input shaft can move so much 3rd gear idler will grind into the shift shaft.

So you could pull the shift shaft fairly easily, inspect it and look at the slider assembly, but as mentioned in the thread you linked, you won’t see much.

Neil, your a DIY guy. Rather than ship my transmission back and forth across the country, I bought the 3 main tools and did it myself.

You can go to Weddles website and get most of what you need. You can also see a picture of the assembled shift sleeve assemblies. The new 3/4 outer ring is still not available. I used the 1/2 outer ring on a hub I purchased from Gears.

The 091/1 is fairly straightforward to disassemble and reassemble. I made all the other tools I needed. We have a good supply of different OD tubing which helps. You’ll need a press. I used a piece of wood to drive the pinion shaft out. I used the shop bbq to heat the case to install the pinion.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark. All I've done on a transaxle is swap input shafts and rebuild a clutch housing on an air cooled tranny and "rehab", build up, case threads and area nearby, on a WBX transaxle. And finding a used tranny is really difficult these days. (my WBX tranny case is pretty eroded. Not certain its worth rebuilding)

I'd totally be into trying to rebuild a transaxle but my fear is that if I got something wrong, say gear lash, would it show up in the form of a locked set of gears?

That happening on the freeway not be cool. LOL.

Somewhere, I have the Long Enterprises CD:

http://www.longenterprises.com/Rebuilders_course_photo_gallery/index.htm

For now, I could dedicate space to do a rebuild and I have a Myford metal lathe albeit still in pieces. But use of that tool is beyond the scope of what I'd do if I ever decided to try my hand at a tranny rebuild. A proper press would be handy to have.

Ironically, the shifting seems a little better but not consistently. And, the quiet squeak I still hear *might* be coming from the shift box. e.g. shifter ears against (Teflon?) guide in box. That would make more sense than the rod bushings at subframe.

Neil.

eroded case example

"rehab"

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
...How smooth is the shift between 3 and 4? Or 4/3? If you check my photos, there is a picture from my Syncro with a broken 3/4 hub...
Once it starts flinging the working parts, I would expect it harder to move between 3 and 4 and if the catches have fallen out, grinding on shift would be expected. Nothing to retain and operate the synchronizer rings.

Sounds very much like mine which I sent to AZ Transaxle for a rebuild. Was planning to post photos of what they found.

Sadly, UPS lost the package in Phoenix just a few miles from the shop. Now I have to start with someone else's core (more $$$) and will never know for sure what failed in mine.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
I will test further ....

The shift box guides, shifter ears, were already well lubed and look ok but I added sticky lube to them and to shift rods at bushings.

Shifting into 3rd is better, 4th seems ok but they don't shift as easy as 1 to 2. 1 to 2 shifting is nearly effortless. And, I still hear a sort of scrape noise near front of van when shifting into 3rd. Especially if I push the shifter towards passenger side when doing so.

Maybe something is rubbing on the front shift rod. Or, stuff at shift lever base is failing. I'll search up on that. Shift rod bushings look ok so I doubt the rod is rubbing on frame metal.

I haven't ruled out the 3/4 hub as cause.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

You should not have to push the shift lever to the side to select 3/4 on a 4 speed. In neutral at rest, pushing the shift rod straight forward selects 3rd. Pulling straight back selects 4th. If it requires side movement, something is out of adjustment or the internal shift mech is sticking.

I’d rather build transmissions than engines. You can do quite a bit of maintenance on a vanagon transaxle if you are not swapping out the ring and pinion with regular tools.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

Miles on transaxle and power plant?

175K was about the mean milage for when the factory "square notched" 3-4 slider would give out, YMMV. And this is not rigorous MTTF analysis, just some numbers I recall reading here on thesamba.

I have only personally opened up three boxes to look at the 3-4 slider, all three were either cracked or completely separated.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

i share your fear of opening the box. i recently confronted it to fix a poorly sealed cover - the only negative thing on my gta rebuild (which leaked since i got it). i was convinced it was going to burst into pieces with springs/etc going everywhere.

i hope your gears are ok.

with a cheap usb borescope, you might be able to take a peek without opening it up.

my 3/4 gave up just after my engine rebuild. i wanted to go camping so i didn't explore the DIY rebuild. when it failed it was making a lot of noise and then it simply refused to move when in 3/4 gears. i limped home (2 km) in second. but to be honest - i never confirmed the failure.

i am just about to put my engine back in the van after a clutch job and i'm not looking forward to getting the shifter linkage together perfectly. so many places to go wrong. i replaced the boot on the shift selector/ball socket thing, and so i unbolted the arm with the ball from the transaxle - now wondering if it is back on the right groove, or if i've screwed it up.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

I’ve posted this before. I never worry about the spline position. Once you understand how it works, the adjustment is so straightforward and easy, it takes no time to reset it.

With an assistant sitting in the van, have them select the gears while you watch the shift box from below. What you are adjusting is the gap between 3/4 and the reverse lock out plate that locates the 1/2 shift. The manual lists a specific measurement and in the end it’s not that critical.

Once you figure it out, you’ll be thinking it’s so simple
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Once you figure it out, you’ll be thinking it’s so simple

haha. always! and, as always, thanks for the help mark.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

vanagon nut wrote:
.... I still hear a sort of scrape noise near front of van when shifting into 3rd. Especially if I push the shifter towards passenger side when doing so.

MarkWard wrote:
You should not have to push the shift lever to the side to select 3/4 on a 4 speed. ...

I’d rather build transmissions than engines. You can do quite a bit of maintenance on a vanagon transaxle if you are not swapping out the ring and pinion with regular tools.

Thanks Mark. I understand. This quote I put in my reply may've been unclear or misleading:

vanagon nut wrote:
I will test further....

"Test" was shifting gears inside van while driving, idling at a stop etc. When stopped, engine idling or off, when I shift into 3rd I hear a squeak scrape type noise at, near, front of van. If I push the shifter towards passenger side (right) when shifting into 3rd, the noise happens consistently. If I push shifter to the left, noise doesn't happen. I figure something is worn, wearing, or rubbing in/on shift linkage.

My first time engine rebuild (ABA) is still running for some reason, LOL, so there may be hope in the Tranny Rebuild Dept. here.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:
Miles on transaxle and power plant?

175K was about the mean milage for when the factory "square notched" 3-4 slider would give out, YMMV. And this is not rigorous MTTF analysis, just some numbers I recall reading here on the samba.

Van was sold to me as having less than 60K miles. It came with very few receipts for work done on it but c/w a photostat of a VW dealership work order for speedometer replacement at low miles (KM's actually). Speedo looks like it was replaced, spare tire was original, body is pretty rust free, muffler *might've* been original and was quite rusted out so there is some veracity to sellers KM claim. But, the owner had died, van was sold by executrix, so who knows? Engine has been changed to inline 4 I rebuilt.

The tranny case is pretty eroded but van may've sat in long grass a while or been driven in really salty road conditions. It was in Alberta and interior of BC for a while.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: transmission 3 4 hub: check feel at tranny shifter? Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
i share your fear of opening the box. ....
i hope your gears are ok.

with a cheap usb borescope, you might be able to take a peek without opening it up.

my 3/4 gave up just after my engine rebuild. i wanted to go camping so i didn't explore the DIY rebuild. when it failed it was making a lot of noise and then it simply refused to move when in 3/4 gears.

i am just about to put my engine back in the van after a clutch job and i'm not looking forward to getting the shifter linkage together perfectly. so many places to go wrong. i replaced the boot on the shift selector/ball socket thing, and so i unbolted the arm with the ball from the transaxle - now wondering if it is back on the right groove, or if i've screwed it up.

Thanks atom atom.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you removed the shift rod from transaxle by removing the bracket, bushings at transaxle? If you did not disconnect the splined join at front to rear shift rods, everything should line up again. Be sure to have bushing bracket orientation correct. It is possible to install it on the wrong face of the mount ear at tranny.

Along with Marks comments, on my other van (not the one in question), to align the shifter splines at shift rods, I cut a piece of sheet metal the same width as spec'd in Bentley, clamped that to the shift box, put a bungee cord at shifter in cab to hold it to one side then set spline adjustment.

On that van, even though I'd shortened the shift linkage for use with a modified "flipped" tranny front mount and tranny likely had high miles (it was a bit noisy), it shifted like butter until it showed the same symptom you describe; sticking in 3rd. I got it rebuilt.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: