Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
The pig cruises at 70 now
With your 155/60 front tires, the indicated 70 mph on your speedometer is much less actual/measured speed. Your 155's have 21.4" diameter. 165/80 x 15 which are stock Type 3 size are about 25.4", with the speedometer accuracy based on that tire size. 155's are 84% of the diameter of the 165's. 84% of 70 mph is 59 mph Confused . Going the other way, 70 mph actual would show as 83 mph on your speedometer.

Im way ahead of ya buddy.
I already knew the speedo was off, with the 135s I had before I knew my speedo was reading 10 mph over my actual speed, calculated by the local speed trap. . . . You know those things the city post up periodically that tell you how fast you are going and flash red when over the speed limit. . . . LOL
Anyway I figured these new front shoes would add another 2 mph at least to the reading on my dash until I can confirm at the next speed trap.

But it was a nice try . . LOL

In all honesty if I was only goinh 60 down the freeway in So Cal I'd probably get ran off the road . . . HAHAHA.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

dude i was just down there on the 14 freeway in my Ranger.... i was doing 85 and still getting passed like im standing still . in a truck that is limited to 90mph. I cant imagine how bad its going to be when i go down there in october to the t3 rally in Carson, CA

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Keep in mind that driving an old VW people will fly by you anyway, and it's different than driving your Ranger. I only say that as I've driven out to far western Missouri in my Notch (running along at 75-80), and out to Colorado Springs in my T-34 at 75-80 and in a pack of 4 old VWs going out, and by myself coming back.I've passed my own share of cars coming and going, and people do get surprised to be passed by an old VW. Whether by yourself, or in a small group, you just have to expect to get passed by someone. Even in my wife's Accord, I'll set the cruise to 80, and still get passed on the highway. When in the VW, I'm on VW time, meaning I'll get there when I get there.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
dude i was just down there on the 14 freeway in my Ranger.... i was doing 85 and still getting passed like im standing still . in a truck that is limited to 90mph. I cant imagine how bad its going to be when i go down there in october to the t3 rally in Carson, CA

Yea the 14 freeway is brutal some times, I do it twice a week from North Hollywood to Santa Clarita.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Keep in mind that driving an old VW people will fly by you anyway, and it's different than driving your Ranger. I only say that as I've driven out to far western Missouri in my Notch (running along at 75-80), and out to Colorado Springs in my T-34 at 75-80 and in a pack of 4 old VWs going out, and by myself coming back.I've passed my own share of cars coming and going, and people do get surprised to be passed by an old VW. Whether by yourself, or in a small group, you just have to expect to get passed by someone. Even in my wife's Accord, I'll set the cruise to 80, and still get passed on the highway. When in the VW, I'm on VW time, meaning I'll get there when I get there.

I feel ya Bob.
I took the SB on her first real freeway cruise on Sunday up the 14 to Santa Clarita.
Even with the webers and a good exhaust system the little 1600cc was having a little difficulty make the long grade from the SFV.
Its pretty much all uphill for a good 20 miles.
But she did keep on trucking with a little pedal finesse on my part . . LOL
Kept her in 4th gear the whole way.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I feel ya Bob.
I took the SB on her first real freeway cruise on Sunday up the 14 to Santa Clarita.
Even with the webers and a good exhaust system the little 1600cc was having a little difficulty make the long grade from the SFV.

back when i lived in Palmdale i would go San Fansisquito, much more fun and worth the extra time it took especially in the Fasty. I miss all the good roads down there.... up here near Tahoe, while there are some fun roads... there too many cops to "enjoy" them . sorry I'll stop hijacking lol

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

[quote="VWporscheGT3"]
QRP wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Keep in mind that driving an old VW people will fly by you anyway, and it's different than driving your Ranger. I

I feel ya Bob.

back when i lived in Palmdale i would go San Fansisquito, much more fun and worth the extra time it took especially in the Fasty. I miss all the good roads down there.... up here near Tahoe, while there are some fun roads... there too many cops to "enjoy" them . sorry I'll stop hijacking lol

Hahahaha . . . No problem

My favorite cruise spot I call the Jay Leno track.
If you ever watched Jay Leno's garage on YouTube he always takes the same route. Great little test and tune track and never any traffic.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Well its time for our one year anniversary.
Thought I would do a side by side comparison from then and now.
Went to her first VW get together this weekend in Ventura along with my bro Eggshell62 with his 62 rag.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Im a happy guy, she did great on the drive up!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
If you ever watched Jay Leno's garage on YouTube he always takes the same route. Great little test and tune track and never any traffic.

When I watch it reminds me of the drives around Lake Hughes but I can't tell the specifics. Got some specific routes?
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
QRP wrote:

When I watch it reminds me of the drives around Lake Hughes but I can't tell the specifics. Got some specific routes?

Without giving up my super secret cruise spot, its up in this area. LOL

QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Been a while since the last update, have been putting a lotta miles on and just enjoying her lately. BUT!!!
The trany has been questionable from the beginning with loud whining and occasionally popping out of 4th and since I have plans to keep her in the lineup for a while I finally decided on a new trans with all the bells and whistles!
Dude said it'll be about 3 weeks before its ready so I'll have some time to address a few minor issues.

Getting started is the hardest part.
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

The sun was cooperating this morning and gave me a window to get this thing out before it gets to hot, been blazing all week.
Note to self - next time wash motor before removing, these type 3s get dusty as hell hanging out in the open like that . . LOL

I can see a few minor issues already, I'll make a list and report back later.

Might stay cool long enough to get the trans out too.

Don't wanna forget to strap this thing up first!

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Well, that looks like a good 1/2 hour to 45 minutes worth of work. Getting the trans out will take longer than that. Between the CV joint bolts, and the shift rod coupler, that'll eat up some time. At least that part of your car looks kind of clean versus some of us that have had major years of grease and dirt filling in the CV bolt heads.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Well, that looks like a good 1/2 hour to 45 minutes worth of work. Getting the trans out will take longer than that. Between the CV joint bolts, and the shift rod coupler, that'll eat up some time. At least that part of your car looks kind of clean versus some of us that have had major years of grease and dirt filling in the CV bolt heads.

LOL . . yeah I'm not looking forward to undoing all those bolts.

I know one thing for sure is that I'm not a big fan of the way late model engines are mounted.
I like the old frame horn style mounts, this strapping up the trans is a bummer. Crying or Very sad
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

I know one thing for sure is that I'm not a big fan of the way late model engines are mounted.
I like the old frame horn style mounts, this strapping up the trans is a bummer. Crying or Very sad

OK Bob you had me wondering about those bolts.
Went back under to make sure I can get them loose, only one needed the vise grips . . LOL

This thing shouldn't be tough.

I do have a few questions .

#1 what is this connector for?

#2 can I remove this FI plug? I can only see a main red wire coming from it to the starter.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
QRP wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

OK Bob you had me wondering about those bolts.
Went back under to make sure I can get them loose, only one needed the vise grips . . LOL

This thing shouldn't be tough.

I do have a few questions .

#1 what is this connector for?

#2 can I remove this FI plug? I can only see a main red wire coming from it to the starter.

That wire and switch might be for that big plug you want to remove since you have a 73.The plug is for the "computer diagnostic system" the dealer would use when these cars were new. That switch probably was to let the system know you were in high gear(4th).

A lot of use a small screw driver or a pick to get the crap out of those CV bolt heads before trying to get them loose.

As for removing the big plug, yes you can, but you'll want to back track ALL of the wires from it too, mainly because of where they all go (some go into the passenger compartment to the battery and some go to the trans, and most go to the engine. You'd have to look in the owners manual to see what they are monitoring, or ask Tram what they monitor.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, the plug isn't in the way but it sure is ugly . . . LOL

Had some time this afternoon to fix a few things, one is move the idle adjustment screws to the other side of the carbs so I can get to them.
Also got rid of the janky linkage I hobbled together, it worked fine but oh boy did it look wack!

Before

After

Linkage rod fix.

I know one thing for sure, getting a lathe for the garage was the smartest investment I've done lately, silly stuff like this linkage rod are now a quick fix . . Chop, drill, tap and done!!!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Thanks Bob, the plug isn't in the way but it sure is ugly . . . LOL

Had some time this afternoon to fix a few things, one is move the idle adjustment screws to the other side of the carbs so I can get to them.
Also got rid of the janky linkage I hobbled together, it worked fine but oh boy did it look wack!

Before

After

Linkage rod fix.

I know one thing for sure, getting a lathe for the garage was the smartest investment I've done lately, silly stuff like this linkage rod are now a quick fix . . Chop, drill, tap and done!!!

Looks cleaner for sure. At least the cobbled link worked and gave you some dimensions to work out how to build what you needed. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

OMG Bob!. . I was just gonna post up revision A of the linkage.
Found the center twist parts at the bug in on sunday for 5 bucks, not sure if it was from a type 3 or 4 but it was already cut up a bit and was just what I needed to get it perfect.

QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first type 3 - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Another issue was this annoying exhaust leak that I just couldn't find, I knew I heard it . . tick, tick, tick, tick.
Removed the exhaust and finally found where it was coming from, right out from in back of the collector.
It left a strip of black on the fan intake.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: