Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manuals have incorrect torque data
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

Due to my mechanical inneptitude, I'm following both Haynes and Bentley manuals religiously while I rebuild my car.
Momentous occasion (for me) that I eventually got all the rubbers in my trailing arms replaced, torsion bars back in in the correct position and tensioned, (which with no engine in the car to hold it down required an inventive mind !) and was finally putting the torsion bar covers back on, with the 4 bolts each side. Manual says 80 ft lbs. My feeble ageing body struggles, and I only get to 55 ft lbs, and meanwhile I am thinking "Why do these bolts need to be so bloody tight ?". Recheck manuals, BOTH say 80. Keep struggling, and get 7 of the 8 bolts to 60 and decide that will do. Move to the last bolt - and it shears off. ************ Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Totally disappointed as I need to get the brakes and wheels on so I can move the car, I go inside for a cool drink (it is over 30 deg C here at the moment) and check the internet. What do I find posted ?? Only 25 ft lbs required for these bolts !!! Rolling Eyes You have to be KIDDING !
Does anyone know if there are there any OTHER torque settings in the manuals that are wildly incorrect like this ??
G
PS The fact that I subsequently found the supplier had sent incorrect rear rubber brake hoses (M/F fitting on RHS instead of F/F) was enough to drive me out of the garage for the rest of the day !!
A frustrating day with my Fastback !!
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

Are you sure you are reading which bolts require the 80ft lbs? It is 80 for the bolts which holds the axle assembly to the spring plates from memory, not the ones holding the cover plate on the torsion bars.

Yes I know what you are talking about with the flex lines as a supplier did the same to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

If I were home i would look it up in my without guess work manual. That has proven to very handy manual.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

the cooling fan bolt torque value is wrong in some manual as well. I guess it comes from years of wrenching on these things but I have a general sense of what's good n tight enough. should have listened to yourself Smile
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

I do refer to this manual when in question about the Bentley or Haynes or Clymer etc.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/witho...201972.pdf

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

Absolutely certain, DHanna. In Bentley's, page 71 item 7 says "install the original spring plate hub cover bolts and tighten them to 11.0 mkg / 80 ft lbs".

Page 71 item 9 says "Secure spring plate to .....diagonal arm ......Torque the bolts to 11.0 mkg / 80 ft lbs.

Can't be much clearer than that !!!

Haynes has only 72 ft/lbs for the spring plate nuts and bolt, and no setting (that I can find) for the hub cover bolts.

Thanks gt1953, useful, but that makes a 3rd item we have to check. Then we have to decide which is correct !! This one says 80 ft lbs for the spring plate bolts, and just 25 for the hub cover plate - Which is what mine are now set at.

Tx,
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Absolutely certain, DHanna. In Bentley's, page 71 item 7 says "install the original spring plate hub cover bolts and tighten them to 11.0 mkg / 80 ft lbs".

Page 71 item 9 says "Secure spring plate to .....diagonal arm ......Torque the bolts to 11.0 mkg / 80 ft lbs.

Can't be much clearer than that !!!

Haynes has only 72 ft/lbs for the spring plate nuts and bolt, and no setting (that I can find) for the hub cover bolts.

Thanks gt1953, useful, but that makes a 3rd item we have to check. Then we have to decide which is correct !! This one says 80 ft lbs for the spring plate bolts, and just 25 for the hub cover plate - Which is what mine are now set at.

Tx,
G

I think when I did them last, I went with 30 ftlbs. After all, they just hold the cover on. Now the bolts that hold the spring plate to the arm, those I went 80 ftlbs on, as I didn't want them coming off.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Manuals have incorrect torque data Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

I think when I did them last, I went with 30 ftlbs. After all, they just hold the cover on. Now the bolts that hold the spring plate to the arm, those I went 80 ftlbs on, as I didn't want them coming off.

Agreed. Just wish I had known that 3 days ago !!
All good now !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: