Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Berty- a 1984 Westfalia
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Hello Samba, been missing you since 2015. When I was a young fool back then, I sold my 67 Bug, my first car. My wife told me she’d leave me if I sold it, I did but she stuck around. As did my dreams of Volkswagens. We decided a vanagon would be the first one we bought together as we just got married over the summer. Just picked her up- an 84 Westy. Paid the previous owner and immediately we took it on a 300 mile drive across Washington State. Needs love, but it goes and stops. I will document here.

My wife (then girlfriend) in 2012. Miss this thing should’ve never sold it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Us now as of today

Taking it East over Snoqualmie had to stop

Nearly to Pullman

Nearly lost the top on I-90 cuz i didn’t latch it down well enough. Slammed on breaks before it fully opened up at 70mph

This is gonna be fun

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Sweet van 🏆

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

You've done it now.

Happy Trails & Best o" Luck!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

In many ways my 83 1/2 (pretty much the same as a 1984) has been my favorite Vanagon. Even with its high mileage it certainly has been more dependable than my 91 which was bought new.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
Hello Samba, been missing you since 2015. When I was a young fool back then, I sold my 67 Bug, my first car. My wife told me she’d leave me if I sold it, I did but she stuck around. As did my dreams of Volkswagens. We decided a vanagon would be the first one we bought together as we just got married over the summer. Just picked her up- an 84 Westy. Paid the previous owner and immediately we took it on a 300 mile drive across Washington State. Needs love, but it goes and stops. I will document here.

My wife (then girlfriend) in 2012. Miss this thing should’ve never sold it

Us now as of today

Taking it East over Snoqualmie had to stop

Nearly to Pullman

Nearly lost the top on I-90 cuz i didn’t latch it down well enough. Slammed on breaks before it fully opened up at 70mph

This is gonna be fun

Laws have changed and you can no longer sell your wife. I lost mine in a Poker game in NH once, but won her back at the slots.
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Had like 30 mins of daylight after work but spent 3 hours starting to peel back the inane amount of stickers on the interior. Looks like there was a buttery pack of stickers, a planet set, a flower set, and a fishing gear set. I don’t think whoever put them on missed a single one from any of the sets, these stickers are everywhere. I’m gonna get there tho.

I’m gonna replace those door slider panel because it’s a bit bent up and even if it wasn’t there is so many stickers

Most of these came off nicely

When I said they were everywhere I meant it

Here is a little before picture:

Here is a little after picture:

Just learning all the weird little things these vans have is fun. I didn’t know they were swivel seats but it’s sick that they are! Lots of cool stuff. Got it registered today as well!

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Wow! That's a completely unnecessary number of stickers... Hang in there. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Well, starting to clean up the ol gal, removing more and more of the stickers.

This one was covering a nice battle scar:

Had to pressure wash all the moss off the roof and the road grime from the trip across the state:

Starting to bring back some of the paint:

Starting to look a little more perky:

I want to deal with the rust on the drivers side seam and do a lower panel paint scheme like this:

Eventually do the S.A. Grill and quad lamps, unsure if I will keep the wheels that are on it currently as they are very 2007 but I like the look of steel wheels with knobby tires, or maybe some of the later vanagon wheels. Maybe I will paint the current wheels black and see how it looks then when I paint the lower panels with bedliner.

Cleaned up some engine bits, throttle body and intake body(?), to make life easier to play in the engine bay:

Replaced the crankcase breather hose while I was down there-- was hoping this would fix the weak Idle on coldstarts but I have a feeling I am going to be chasing gremlins until I give the entire engine a lot of love.

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Check the hose to the Aux Air Valve( little 90 degree guy, and the hoses tee’ing into it above the valve. You may need to clean the valve , gently, as well.
The 2 bolts holding the valve to the engine like to seize up, so if you have to shoot carb or brake cleaner into the valve because you can’t budge them for actually removing the valve, that’s okay too. A mirror and light to shine down an open port on the valve will shed light on its condition.
The usual freezer test is ideal if you can remove the valve, you want the disc inside to go open from being cold.( bi-metal spring)
With electrical power applied to heat up the bi-metal spring, the disc should close with maybe a tiny amount of light showing through the ports
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Check the hose to the Aux Air Valve( little 90 degree guy, and the hoses tee’ing into it above the valve. You may need to clean the valve , gently, as well.
The 2 bolts holding the valve to the engine like to seize up, so if you have to shoot carb or brake cleaner into the valve because you can’t budge them for actually removing the valve, that’s okay too. A mirror and light to shine down an open port on the valve will shed light on its condition.
The usual freezer test is ideal if you can remove the valve, you want the disc inside to go open from being cold.( bi-metal spring)
With electrical power applied to heat up the bi-metal spring, the disc should close with maybe a tiny amount of light showing through the ports

So this one looks good then? There was a shit ton of oil residue around this thing so the bolts came undone without even using a wrench, just undid with 10mm and extension haha. Let me know your thoughts

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

So this one looks good then? There was a shit ton of oil residue around this thing so the bolts came undone without even using a wrench, just undid with 10mm and extension haha. Let me know your thoughts

Room temperature or out of the freezer?
That would fine if warm. Chill it and see if it opens easily
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
webberjames95 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

That was just room temp, will play with it a little more and see if it opens more when cold. Also noticed the 90° elbow has a decent crack from being heat cycled a lot, I assume this would also cause cold start issues?

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Your sig line quote is messing with my OCD. Was this intentional, or is your grammar really so bad?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Your wheels make it look so 2007? That puts it right up to date in my book on to the next problem. John
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Found some broken vacuum lines that were as crispy as a Dorito chip. Plus they weren’t even connected to where they should’ve been, gonna go buy a bunch of vacuum line and just start replacing everything

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

My little 90° rubber elbow is cracked, along with a whole bunch of vacuum lines which I have replaced or have parts coming, I can’t find anyone who sells that 90° elbow, any idea what to do one that part?

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

webberjames95 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
webberjames95 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

That was just room temp, will play with it a little more and see if it opens more when cold. Also noticed the 90° elbow has a decent crack from being heat cycled a lot, I assume this would also cause cold start issues?

So this is what it looked like after 15 mins in the freezer:

Also replaced most of the vacuum lines, minus the 90° elbow which I cannot find a replacement for, also the check valve step up rubber is torn but I have one coming in from cip1

Does the aux air valve look like it’s opening enough?

All the old lines:

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

I thought either Van Cafe or GoWesty sold the 90 degree hose.
Clean the valve and see how it responded to that. At least it responds to temp changes. Those cracked hoses are not going to worry you anymore.... Cool Cool
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
I thought either Van Cafe or GoWesty sold the 90 degree hose.
Clean the valve and see how it responded to that. At least it responds to temp changes. Those cracked hoses are not going to worry you anymore.... Cool Cool

go westy didnt have it, wasnt aware of van cafe but will check. Appreciate the help my man! Cool Cool

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Berty- a 1984 Westfalia Reply with quote

Go to the PET STORE! In the fish section, find some aquarium tubing. It's all the same sizes, and made from the same material, at half the price!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: