Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure system design musings
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTGPhoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

Let's have a chat about oil pressure...

I have a freshly rebuilt engine (2.3 DJ, if you're wondering - If anyone has a Digijet idle stabilizer from a DJ to sell, I'm buying...). The engine had what I considered to be marginal oil pressure (not quite 29psi at 2k rpm and 176F, less than 40 psi at 4k at same temp running 10w-60 synthetic) despite a Mansi oil pump and a nice tight build (says the builder), so we wondered if the pressure relief was just letting too much oil out. After changing the spring to a new, slightly longer one and a longer plunger (total stack is probably nearly 5mm longer than stock), we see a nice 20psi at idle, 30-35 at 2k and the pressure release holds the top end at 47-50, which it hits by 3k.

My question is, why did VW make the relief valve so easy to trigger? What was there to gain from bleeding off oil starting at low RPMs, rather than having a more positive pressure limit? It seems to me you could be pushing nearly as much load at 2500 rpm as you could be at 4000, so why not have the pressure up through nearly the whole range?

Opine away!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

Enough oil pressure is enough, volume to the bearings and other parts of the system is what you want. For the last 20+/- years I have run 5w40 or even 0w40 and have had no problem, prior to that I ran 10w30 in the winter and straight 30wt in the summer.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

Those oil pressures seem absolutely fine for the VW WBX engine.

Maybe you're used to running Chevy V/8's or something?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WTGPhoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I agree. I'm very happy with the results of putting in the longer spring+plunger. The question was why the stock part was designed (I assume) to relieve pressure so early?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

WTGPhoben wrote:
After changing the spring to a new, slightly longer one and a longer plunger (total stack is probably nearly 5mm longer than stock), we see a nice 20psi at idle, 30-35 at 2k and the pressure release holds the top end at 47-50, which it hits by 3k.

this might be the crux of your situation... these springs get old and it is common to replace them in a rebuild. you can achieve the same effect with some washers on the cap end to 'lengthen' the spring. the system works, you just had an out of spec spring that needed attention during the rebuild.

the plunger length makes no difference. it is the nose of the plunger that seats against a tapered section of the block and as soon as it lifts off the casting, there is a large channel in the bore wall for bypass oil to flow thru until the return port is reached about midway in the bore.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

The 60 oil is excessively thick per the VW recommendation.. It is of interest to also know the oil temperature when discussing the pressure, what temperature have you?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

WTGPhoben wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I agree. I'm very happy with the results of putting in the longer spring+plunger. The question was why the stock part was designed (I assume) to relieve pressure so early?

As I said, all you need is enough pressure to get a sufficient volume of oil to the bearings and other parts of the engine. Trying to force the oil pressure up above where the engineers wanted it to be may cause problems like shortening the life of the oil pressure relief spring and of the oil pump. Most any engine out there will run quite well on a straight 30wt oil if it is built to book specs.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

What are you oil temps like before/after the relief spring change and before/after the Mansi pump?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

WTGPhoben wrote:
Let's have a chat about oil pressure...
Opine away!

Yes let's!

Now, we should ask questions like: how did you arrive at those numbers? What mechanism was used? Was it a physical oil pressure unit? Was it an electrical type with a sender and gauge? How hot did you let the oil get for these tests?

My take on why you don't want to run with oil that is too thick is climate. I live in a climate which sees low 100F's in Summer, and as low as -40F in Winter. Yes, I run my rig in the Winter. (Well, at least one of them anyway) So, I change between grades for seasonal changes. It's more to keep from blowing the oil cooler seal than any other reason.

And last, does your choice of oil filter change your results? Acme brand vs Mann ever tested?

Oil, oil, oil. Seems to be a totally loved topic. (and much maligned, too) Way too easy to get distracted by one specific target pool, instead of big picture stuff.

New spring and plunger. Yup, when first built by the original plant, I am quite certain the spring was indeed a bit longer. I've got several supposedly "stronger" and longer ones on hand. They do indeed taunt me. I keep waiting for the oil buzzer to go bonkers when my electric sender/gauge say i'm near zero pressure after a few hours of hard freeway driving and pulling off to a stop at the offramp intersection... but nope, Mann filter fixed all that years ago, and I've put more than 70K on this engine, which now has 345,000+ miles on the odo.

-bobby
WTGPhoben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
What are you oil temps like before/after the relief spring change and before/after the Mansi pump?

All is constant. I have a physical temp and pressure gauge, so the only variable that changed was the spring stack (mansi pump was installed with the build).

again, the question isn't "how do I fix my oil pressure?" because I'm confident that I've gotten it nicely in the sweet spot, but instead "why did VW design the pressure relief to start engaging so early and gradually flow more rather than being being more positive like I achieved with a longer and somewhat differently shaped plunger"?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

WTGPhoben wrote:
"why did VW design the pressure relief to start engaging so early and gradually flow more rather than being being more positive like I achieved with a longer and somewhat differently shaped plunger"?

Good question. This wbx is an ancient design and the system was designed to operate between acceptable low and high pressures. Damage can occur with too high oil pressure (blown seal, loss of oil, loss of oil pressure). My guess is that VW built the system to operate w/in acceptable ranges while mitigating risks of failure and decided the designed spring was their chosen balance given limitations of working with an old design.

A somewhat related anecdote: In 1988 BMW added a new oil cooler arrangement to their air cooled motorcycle motors. In cold weather with the correct oil these motors were building up too much pressure and puking oil out the oil filter seal, in some cases leading to loss of OP. This was corrected by drilling out a hole in the oil cooler passage to a larger size.

Lesson #1: Too much of a good thing can be too much
Lesson #2: German engineers don't always get it right. Maybe Hans und Franz debated long and hard on the best length of the wbx spring, Hans won the argument but regrets it to this day.

Maybe tencentlife will chime in with his extensive knowledge of this system.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

Likely the spring that was replaced was fatigued/sacked (shorter because of load over time). Also a big problem with this piston type relief valve is the clearance between the piston and the bore in the case. Just a little bit of wear can leak a lot of oil. Maybe check the old piston for wear. Used to replace those frequently back in the day when I did many air cooled overhauls. They were either excessiively worn or stuck. Which usuually let to a swelled oil cooler.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

Can you link the longer spring & plunger you installed (with part #'s)?

Thanks
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

How long will the oil pump drive last at the higher pressure? If it is driven by thew cam, I have seen near failure in beetles from excessive wear on the drive tang.

Balance is good, not too little or too much.

Roland
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

xflyer wrote:
Also a big problem with this piston type relief valve is the clearance between the piston and the bore in the case..

But doesn't the relief piston seal on its face and not the bore.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
But doesn't the relief piston seal on its face and not the bore.

that is my understanding looking at a clean bore with a flashlight. there is a tapered seat in the bore and the piston has a matching seat. as soon as the piston lifts off the seat a fraction of an inch, the large rectangular channel in the bore bypasses oil up to the return port, about 1/2 way up. from memory, it seems like maybe 1/8" of piston lift would open up nearly full flow to the port, the channel is that close.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

" doesn't the relief piston seal on its face and not the bore."

Yup, my point was that any wear will increase oil bypassing the piston. Just like a intake or exhaust valve in the cylinder head.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

The Type 1 and Type 4 pistons had scored faces to keep them from sealing to the end of the bore, otherwise you would get little to no relief flow until the piston cracked loose from the end of the bore at which point the pressure would drop markedly until the piston closed all the way again.
xflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

"The Type 1 and Type 4 pistons had scored faces to keep them from sealing to the end of the bore, otherwise you would get little to no relief flow until the piston cracked loose from the end of the bore at which point the pressure would drop markedly until the piston closed all the way again."

Hmmm, that's like saying a window is either all the way open or completely closed. Usually there's positions in between.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure system design musings Reply with quote

Maybe, but he’s normally right so I’d listen.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: