Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:

I ran 34psi boost , nitrous on E85 with charge cooler and huge injectors it idled like a dream and didn't miss a beat on the dyno or track.
It had a simple Ford wasted spark coil pack
The heads were semi hemi'd right upto the barrel which means no sqish and about 100thou deck
Guess I dodged the arc welder ignition bullet Laughing

Yeah, but with the WS coil you have already improved the spark capacity with some 30% maybe more over a conventional bB set up. And reducing plug gap will reduce the risk of blowing out the candle.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

The OP has a stock 1600 which work fine with a regular ignition from the 70's.
Arc welder ignitions came into fashion in the late 60's to fire off the huge bore V8 muscle cars with piss poor mixture control and leaded gas- leave them there Very Happy
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I didn’t try a Bosch red coil, so can’t comment there.
The guiding principle observed in the (admittedly short term) testing of many coils with and without cdi is that any coil will do better, and ironically run cooler, with a CDI juicing its primary circuit. Fast phone support said the CDI would literally detonate a stock style coil. A well hedged bet, and funny, but wrong.

Btw the other principle observed was that a bigger coil doesn’t just provide “sufficient” spark to jump the gap. I had to see it myself to believe it, so, theory schmeory - the bigger badder parts had hotter sparks on all plug types but the Brisk show this off the best, which does equate to unshrouded spark kernels. Given that clocking washers are a thing, this seems to be a major design advantage.

The fast wires came with the plug ends already finished, and require the ferrule on the plug. I slipped the bosch air-seal donuts onto them. A massively easier task than the Taylor 409 donuts, for which in hindsight I would do the same thing (they seem melded in place but are removable). I like the Taylors but they’re a few hundred ohms per foot.

For the dizzy ends fast includes both boot types (straight and elbow) but only the stock vw style terminals, at least in the kit I got.

For the coil wire they provide one of each type of terminal.
Even for $20 it’s a deal.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
Arc welder ignitions came into fashion in the late 60's to fire off the huge bore V8 muscle cars with piss poor mixture control and leaded gas- leave them there Very Happy

When someone comes back to a thread to report actual experience after doing the exact swap, and has noticible gains, you look kinda silly telling them it was not worth it and they should not have done it.

Small CC engines with low output factory style ignitions still benifit. If anyone has doubt, dont do it. Im not pushing any one box, just helping people that choose to and show them a way to do it on a budget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

If anyone has not noticed, Boostretard is new to the samba. This guy, keep your eyes on. Hes not a talker just saying anything to anyone and guessing about stuff.

He sent me a mesage with some ideas on some plug and ignition combos, and since hes only a few hours away, took a trip over and brought the brisk and pulstar plugs to try out on the tester. He tried on his own different boxes, plugs, even some different wires.

Within days, he swapped out to a Fast cdi (same output as HI6N and the fast E93 coil, then his wires and plugs. Trying to tell him to go backwards will not be productive. I noticed on 1679cc engine value that made it worth it also. This is why i dont hesitate to advise to give it a try for those that are actually curious, and drive their car to enjoy it. You WILL enjoy it more then a stock ignition.

He chose new, so it was around $400 for box and coil. Hi6 and others are $200 for box and coil used all day. Even a old analog MSD6a and a Blaster SS which can be had for less then $200.

What is too much? Well, The fast CDI is the limit really, if your trying to get more then 20,000 miles out of your cap and rotor. The coil is driven by the CDI, so your "rev limiter" for current output is limited by your box. If you buy boxes with more output, like the 7al2 PLUS, you can start reducing plug life. In my eyes, who the f@ck cares about a $25 cap and rotor when you have a nice gain, and in the light of everything else we buy for our cars. And plugs, buy good plugs.

Never fouling plugs again, no hesitation, instant response, less gas pedal to get the same power, more of it, yes....thats enough to warrant a upgrade on any size engine. But some like their old lower power ignitions, stock has value, and for those that are not wanting more, to each their own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Paul.H wrote:

When someone comes back to a thread to report actual experience after doing the exact swap, and has noticible gains, you look kinda silly telling them it was not worth it and they should not have done it.

Small CC engines with low output factory style ignitions still benifit. If anyone has doubt, dont do it. Im not pushing any one box, just helping people that choose to and show them a way to do it on a budget.

Quote:
You must have some serious fuelling problems to need an arc welder type ignition to improve running

I acknowledged that there could be an improvement in this situation but based on some other issued that have been mentioned such as "loading up" I merely suggested that the problem is with piss poor fuelling.
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Quote:
I acknowledged that there could be an improvement in this situation but based on some other issued that have been mentioned such as "loading up" I merely suggested that the problem is with piss poor fuelling.

Care to define piss poor fueling? Better yet thoughts on cold intakes keeping the fuel wet? Not a challenge, just that talking past the point isn’t helpful.

Generally, dual single barrels on a boxer leaves a lot to be desired (vs EFI).
Given every scenario is different, what good is comparing apples to… lizards?

I’m not out to shill.
Are you aiming to prevent others from harm of some kind?
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

boostretard wrote:
Quote:

Care to define piss poor fueling? Better yet thoughts on cold intakes keeping the fuel wet? Not a challenge, just that talking past the point isn’t helpful.

Generally, dual single barrels on a boxer leaves a lot to be desired (vs EFI).
Given every scenario is different, what good is comparing apples to… lizards?

I’m not out to shill.
Are you aiming to prevent others from harm of some kind?

Just adding some info to the pros and cons of CDi ignition.
VW's were exported to the four corners of the world including v cold places and they operated just fine as we know with very basic ignitions. Even Kduds with aluminium manifolds once warm should provide good enough conditions to vaporise the fuel and run fine with basic ignition.

I have a box full of failed Cdi boxes- 6al's Digital 6's Mallory hyfires etc
They were useful in the day 20 years ago because they had rev limiters and the MSD distributors had a slightly less spark scatter than an 009 at higher RPM - just multi coloured junk Wink Laughing
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Quote:

VW's were exported to the four corners of the world including v cold places and they operated just fine as we know with very basic ignitions. Even Kduds with aluminium manifolds once warm should provide good enough conditions to vaporise the fuel and run fine with basic ignition.

They were useful in the day 20 years ago because they had rev limiters and the MSD distributors had a slightly less spark scatter than an 009 at higher RPM - just multi coloured junk Wink Laughing

Well, on the cold thing, OEM engines had heat risers that were quite effective because the stock exhaust had restriction right there at the port (perforated material IIRC) among other places, helping push heat into the riser, and lowering efficiency such that more fuel needed to be burned for the sake of it making more intake heat lol. To say nothing of the factory flaps and thermostat (I have the flaps stuck open and no t-stat not gonna debate - it is what it is). With dual carbs/manifolds dumping more fuel than a PICT, and them both leeching heat from the heads, which aren’t retaining it because of a quality merged header, then the low compression to boot - there’s very little relevant comparison IMO to your example.

I wouldn’t deny your box full of failed CDI - any Crane products (modern or otherwise) in there? But what % of the total (of all CDI’s in use) is that and who installed them on what setup etc?

I ran an MSD Digital-6 in a blown 89 mustang that (I tuned myself and) trapped 122 (about 530hp) and it was pushing the stock coil. This feels very relevant to me, but I’m not sure it’s statistically relevant.

FWIW, in preventative measures I added 12v cooling fans (like a PC has) to the top of my CDI and another in the heater vent circulating under-seat air. I don’t think it will overheat. Were your dead CDI’s used under VW rear seats?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

What was the outcome with the Pulstar sparkplugs?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

Something interesting that we noticed was on the stock ignition side when using these plugs.

When using a bosch blue/pertronix in standard ignition form with points, the spark is pretty weak, and gets even more depressing with a standard resister plug, as the resister takes some of the punch away. Now, if you want to run resister plugs and resister wires, that already depressing spark dwindles down to really faint levels, now its getting orange.

On the stock side, installing the pulstar plugs, because of its internal capaciter, it concentrates the available energy into a more normal spark. (shorter duration but more intense). If someone really wants to run crap wires, or stock ignition, this is a worthwhile plug. Its nothing like a CDI spark cause your not adding power, your only using what you have available in a points system that is running off your standard 12v power lead feeding the system. (your limited to small amount of power on a points based system).
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

Bottom line they’re not available without a resistor :/
I have not installed the Pulstars in my engine.
The gap shown is out of the box.

In-engine demo for pulstar at 5:18
https://youtu.be/jcVF3xL_fzk

Flamethrower x Pulstar:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CDI (and LX92 coil) x Pulstar:

Here’s an MSD demo of with-and-without resistor but these are the Brisks: https://youtu.be/SnsUAqC3ON0

CDI (and blue coil) arc welding with the Brisk plug:
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

The CDI and Pulstar looked pretty good.

What are your opinions with that plug and the CDI even if it has a resistor built in?
boostretard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The CDI and Pulstar looked pretty good.

What are your opinions with that plug and the CDI even if it has a resistor built in?

This would be my second choice behind the Brisk plugs. The CDI is more than making up for the resistor. I’ll try them eventually.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

If you have an ignition system that requires resistor plugs there can be an idea in using the Pulstar plugs. If you have vintage system like on ACVW´s Porsche etc. stay with the copper non resistor plugs or the Brisk which are silver. sure, irridium or platinum plugs will work, but the heat transfer in those metals are WAY poorer, so in order to stay at around the same plug temp you actually have to go maybe 2 heat ranges "colder" That is counterproductive.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thought I'd update this thread. I got an old but never ran HI-6/PS-91 combo on ebay for a good deal and the ebay MSD setup back in spring. I was running a dieing bosch blue coil and standard coil and it couldn't spark when hot. I had to pop the decklid and let it cool for 15 minutes after every time I turned the motor off. I've since daily driven this setup all summer, including my usual commute to work on a record breaking 118* day. So far it only had one instance where it didn't fire up quickly after it was warmed up. Took some cranking but it did eventually fire up. The cold starts are pretty impressive, and it would idle all the way down to 500rpm but I run it at 800-1000 anyways. IMO it's a great budget setup and well worth the effort. Don't mind the mess too much I took these pics the day I got it installed.

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

PetrolPunk, Nice! Glad you got something that works and fits your budget. I, and others appreciate the feedback.

One thing of interest, There is not many Crane hi-6, digital or not, that have a history of dieing early like the digital msd boxes. Not only that, it has more power then the msd 6 series. So there are many crane choices out there for a bargain. Even though they are used, they can live a really long life. I take note of seemingly trivial things, like is the anodized color faded, banged up, look like its been to helll in back being burnt living next to a set of headers or not.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

boostretard wrote:
Quote:

Well, on the cold thing, OEM engines had heat risers that were quite effective because the stock exhaust had restriction right there at the port (perforated material IIRC) among other places, helping push heat into the riser, and lowering efficiency such that more fuel needed to be burned for the sake of it making more intake heat lol. To say nothing of the factory flaps and thermostat (I have the flaps stuck open and no t-stat not gonna debate - it is what it is). With dual carbs/manifolds dumping more fuel than a PICT, and them both leeching heat from the heads, which aren’t retaining it because of a quality merged header, then the low compression to boot - there’s very little relevant comparison IMO to your example.

I wouldn’t deny your box full of failed CDI - any Crane products (modern or otherwise) in there? But what % of the total (of all CDI’s in use) is that and who installed them on what setup etc?

I ran an MSD Digital-6 in a blown 89 mustang that (I tuned myself and) trapped 122 (about 530hp) and it was pushing the stock coil. This feels very relevant to me, but I’m not sure it’s statistically relevant.

FWIW, in preventative measures I added 12v cooling fans (like a PC has) to the top of my CDI and another in the heater vent circulating under-seat air. I don’t think it will overheat. Were your dead CDI’s used under VW rear seats?

Plenty of motors running dual carbs and merged headers without thermostats etc
What ambient temps and humidity are you having to deal with ??
About the failure rate -not sure but I would say over a fairly short period of time 100 % compared to other electronic ECU's I use that are still going strong after 20 years . It's the high current and voltages that are the problem combined with low tech electronics, mis matched coils,shoddy triggering devices throw some damp cold conditions into the mix and ...
I didn't try Crane products but I think I'd just have some more failed yellow boxes to go with all the red ones
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I guess I must have been lucky. I have had 1 Mallory and 1 MSD go south on me over a period of approx 20 years.
Next. High performance parts dont last as long as stock parts do when they are used as intended.
Think of it this way.
How often do you tear down a stock, stockish or mildly tuned engine for inspection ?
How often do you tear down a race engine for inspection ?

Everything at its time. It is also not for everyone to use programmable ECU´s etc. While WS systems have their place, and I use them myself on milder engines they are not the best. That is still COP. And yes, there you can go source good units from several manufacturers. Typically the units from lean burn engines are really good. But, with both WS, CNP and COP you run into some other issues with spark strength. That said, most of the systems are powerfull enough to handle most anything we will throw at them.

As we have vaguely touched before, but not many pay much attention to, is emissions and burn quality. Once you begin to look in that direction a whole new world opens and you can litterally begin from scratch with understanding ignition. And NO, the old saying that a spark is a spark could almost not be further from the truth
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I don't use or recommend coil on plug or coil near plug on any aircooled VW unneccesary complication and no advantage in the low rpm range of these engines. COP is used by OEM mainly for packaging and cost cutting in fact VW switched back from COP to waste spark on one of their engines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 44

Jump to: