Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
Hi Everyone,This is for jpaull or someone that knows,i purschased a crane HI6N CDI and a new FAST E92 coil but the coil only has 2 studs for the wires to go on;the FAST E92 dont have the place as the crane LX92 coil has that the wires from the cdi plug directly in to the coil,so as i read on here that the FAST E92 is exactly the SAME coil as the LX92,so how do i wire the Crane HI6N to the FAST E92 coil ? I only purschased the FAST E92 coil because all the( NEW) crane LX92 coils for sale online has a bad rap and got me to thinking since crane is no more why is there new crane LX92 coils cheap online,maybe there not a oem crane coil is what i thought of time of purschase of the FAST E92 coil. Thanks for replying.

This plug is what you need right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-6000-6718-Ignition-C...632-2357-0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Sorry,The real question is which wires goes where from the cdi to FAST E92 coil then to the to the distributor ? i can cut the wires and add the ends it needs as far as that but i dont have any instructions what wires goes where. the cdi is a crane HI6N,the coil a FAST E92,and the distributor is a msd clone from the A-Team. This is a first for me going cdi and im lost without any instructions about the wiring. Thanks
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

For the Hi6N:

Heavy Red = Battery Positive
Heavy Black = Ground

Lite duty Orange = Coil positive
Lite duty Black = Coil negative

In the shielded grey cable inside has the small gauge trigger wires that go to the distributor and is the mag pickup signal wires. These small red and black wires connect to the distributor (Mag pickup only, no points or points replacement) and on some of these its hard to know which wire goes where, as some are both black coming out. connect it one way and it runs like crap and barely starts. Connect it correctly and it runs awesome.

Tach = White wire. These are meant for V8 only, so it will only work with a tach that has 4,6,8 cylinder selection .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Witnin01340 wrote:
Hi Everyone,This is for jpaull or someone that knows,i purschased a crane HI6N CDI and a new FAST E92 coil but the coil only has 2 studs for the wires to go on;the FAST E92 dont have the place as the crane LX92 coil has that the wires from the cdi plug directly in to the coil,so as i read on here that the FAST E92 is exactly the SAME coil as the LX92,so how do i wire the Crane HI6N to the FAST E92 coil ? I only purschased the FAST E92 coil because all the( NEW) crane LX92 coils for sale online has a bad rap and got me to thinking since crane is no more why is there new crane LX92 coils cheap online,maybe there not a oem crane coil is what i thought of time of purschase of the FAST E92 coil. Thanks for replying.

This plug is what you need right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-6000-6718-Ignition-C...632-2357-0

i have personal experience with the exact situation above, and it aint great, but it might help and be relevant..

i bought an old "ish" crane hi6n and lx92 type coil... basically from before they changed to F.A.S.T., the connector had been cut off the loom for the coil!Sad

so i purchased the 6000-6718 from jegs after seeing the exact picture posted above. The pic is exactly what i needed. Its NOT what i got. They send out the new style e92 wire. Basically, they havent updated their pictures.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.06996861e818a8699897b7...aw&r=0

The wire in the pic above, is the wire you will get...

possibly.. in this situation.. if you have the newer style coil, it might actually be exactly what you need!

hope that helps a little!
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Ok,yes the wire connector you show looks like it will plug into the FAST E92 coil but after plugging into coil does them wires go to cdi or distributor or both ? Also the 6 wires that come out of the cdi that has the 6 pin male connector i dont care to cut off or splice that connector, so do you know if they sell a 6 pin female connector to plug into the 6 pin male ? so i can add any connector it needs coming off the female side .

Lastly,if ANY of the wires coming off the cdi is lengthened will it cause any loss of energy ? bcause the crane LX92 coil, the cdi plugs directly into coil . Or do ya think it may be a better option to get a used oem crane LX92 coil so wouldnt have to maybe cut or splice the wires on cdi ? I can wire anything as long as i know which wire goes where lol; so thanks much for explaining that and everything else jpaull.
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
Ok,yes the wire connector you show looks like it will plug into the FAST E92 coil but after plugging into coil does them wires go to cdi or distributor or both ? Also the 6 wires that come out of the cdi that has the 6 pin male connector i dont care to cut off or splice that connector, so do you know if they sell a 6 pin female connector to plug into the 6 pin male ? so i can add any connector it needs coming off the female side .

Lastly,if ANY of the wires coming off the cdi is lengthened will it cause any loss of energy ? bcause the crane LX92 coil, the cdi plugs directly into coil . Or do ya think it may be a better option to get a used oem crane LX92 coil so wouldnt have to maybe cut or splice the wires on cdi ? I can wire anything as long as i know which wire goes where lol; so thanks much for explaining that and everything else jpaull.

Orange and black wires go from hi6n unit to coil... nothing else goes to coil. Neither orange or black go to dissy.

Afaik.. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, one of the benefits of the "nascar" or "n" versions of crane or msd cdi units, is that the connectors are standardised... GM I believe?!... so with a bit of searching yes, they can be bought and rewired...

Type "crane hi6n instructions" or similar into google... summit etc have many o.e. instruction sheets including crane cams ones
you can download and view.
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Ok,Thanks much to all, Btw jpaull this is one of the best post,NICE .
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Dunk, thanks for the great info! That happens alot and very annoying when a seller lists a old picture that does not apply anymore.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
Ok,Thanks much to all, Btw jpaull this is one of the best post,NICE .

Glad you gave it a whirl! Did you get it running yet? Make sure to not crank the engine without having all the wires connected properly.
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Jpaull,no not yet im just getting everything ready to test to make sure everything works before installing and here in PA now its cold with some snow so it be awhile, but il post back when i do switch from a oem points setup to cdi let ya know, Thanks.
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Where can one find spark plug wires to fit this type distributor (msd clone) with the H.E.I.ends,with the low resistance 40-50ohms per ft spiral wound ?

Everywhere i look there out of stock.

Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
Where can one find spark plug wires to fit this type distributor (msd clone) with the H.E.I.ends,with the low resistance 40-50ohms per ft spiral wound ?

Everywhere i look there out of stock.

Thanks.

I purchased a set of MSD wires from O'Reilly's.

They are cut to fit. And come with a nice cheap crimping tool.
I had a choice of the distributor cap ends I needed to install the wires.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Jeff, I just saw some of your videos. I hope you don't have an HOA Shocked
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

I have been reading through this thread and have gathered up some parts. A Crane Hi6N box, Crane LX92 coil, MSD copy dizzy and Taylor Thunder bolt 8.2 wires. I can't seem to find anywhere in this thread about what plugs would work well with this combo?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:
I have been reading through this thread and have gathered up some parts. A Crane Hi6N box, Crane LX92 coil, MSD copy dizzy and Taylor Thunder bolt 8.2 wires. I can't seem to find anywhere in this thread about what plugs would work well with this combo?

Non-resister!

Pick your poison!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Dam you guys. I'm stuck at home with the 'rona virus and going stir crazy so I impulse bought this stuff. Right now I'm at $380 but I need RPM limiter chips for the 6ALN and a distributor cap so I'll be past $400 for the whole setup. I also have MSD wires that came with the Dizzy and CB's wires if I want.

What struck me most was how well the MSD distributor is made and how well the coil is made and what a steaming pile of garbage the 6ALN is in comparison from a fit-and-finish standpoint.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340:
Great question. The Magnaspark wires which are Taylor Thundervolt were my first choice, but now CB only sells the "high resistance" new magnaspark wires that are not gonna help spark.
Pertronix would be a last resort that is better then some. MSD is still the best but not everyone likes screaming red wires.

Kegs:
No HOA thankfully, and i live next to a super busy street that covers alot of my shenanigans. I will test the neighbors patience again this weekend with some more dyno runs.

BW65VW:
For plug wires, copper core non resister. I like the multi-ground strap plugs but they are not always easy to find and usually 14mm only.

Jimmy Hoffa: Thats a nice USA made combination of parts that although used, should work and live for a really long time. Check the gap and strength of that pickup in the distributor. If it feels weak at all, i would spend $35 on a new MSD pickup. That coil is great combo for the 6 series box.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Thanks for replys guys.

I called cb talked with a guy he said taylor thundervolt wires went out of business.

I was thinking the clone msd took H.E.I.ends but they dont or at least mine dont,it takes standard ends.

About the msd clone,just got mine from the A Team for $89.99 it has the floating drive etc and is made VERY WELL !

I never had a real msd but id like to put this clone beside a real msd and see where the $300.00 difference is.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Witnin01340 wrote:
Thanks for replys guys.

I called cb talked with a guy he said taylor thundervolt wires went out of business.

Thatīs really sad to hear. Taylor made good wires IMHO.
But, it probably explains why CB has gone with Magnecor instead. I never understood the reasoning behind the Magnecor philosophy except in a few specific situations. On a second note there are some NGK wires out there which are made along the same lines. They too are not especially good on anything but some very specificset ups.

Granatelli makes good 0 resistance copper wires (also on measure) but be aware, if youre not on top of them they will hang you out to dry, especially if you are overseas like me.
MSD wires -are - good, at least from my point of view. and you - can - get them in more than red Wink I use the grey version a good deal.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese MSD Distributor Tips & Tricks + Budget ignition Demo Reply with quote

Alstrup, are the grey ones a MSD Universal set? If not, it would be super helpful to get a part number for those.

Specifically for the MSD 8485/HEI VW I can only find that MSD makes the red 31939 set:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284464790993?epid=1311821357&hash=item423b6c3dd1:g:WWIAAOSwnothTupt

I see some of the universal sets like below, and a person would just have to add their own air deflectors. But it is nice as it has HEI or standard vw styel distributor terminal ends.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294643684397?epid=1527588684&hash=item449a21d42d:g:e9gAAOSwxDlhvLO5
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 44

Jump to: