Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Decal or Letters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

I am putting new paint on my Vanagon top should I put Westfalia letters on or a decal?

Last edited by Maine on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

What was it from the factory?

In the muscle car world, the factory did vinyl decals, but i've seen many resto mods where the stripes are painted and they look upscale.

Decals can be easily removed, but paint is more permanent.

In the end, it's whatever you prefer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

If it were mine to choose, I'd go with a decal. I'd also go with the authentic looking one with the curved "L" and not the reproduction one that is completely WRONG that has a corner in the lower left of the angle on the "L".

Here is the wrong one:
https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/2404/westfalia-pop-top-decal

Here is the right one, at least visually:
https://www.busdepot.com/255070732
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Good eye, Bobby!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
If it were mine to choose, I'd go with a decal. I'd also go with the authentic looking one with the curved "L" and not the reproduction one that is completely WRONG that has a corner in the lower left of the angle on the "L".

Here is the wrong one:

That's why I asked!! Thanks Bobby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Never noticed that on the GW repro, wow.. that looks bad compared to the original style "L".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
wow.. that looks bad

Not only that, but GW has been told multiple times by multiple people over multiple years that theirs is wrong. And, still, they sell them. Just another reason I've been holding off buying from them on as many occasions as I can. Im only a stickler on the little things. And the other things too.

-bobby
brainscience
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Here is the wrong one:

As far as I can tell, both the sharp L and curved L were used from the factory. I have seen the sharp L on two vans (90 and 91). Both had the original Westfalia decals from the factory. Best to look at the fading of the pop top to determine which was original to the van, the surface under the original decals will be noticeably brighter.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Hmm, now I have to look at original 90-91 brochures to see this for myself, new info to me, and I have to KNOW its true to repeat it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

90 brochure, nope, curved;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1990_00_vanagon/Seite08.jpg
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

I recall looking to buy 1990 Westflalia a few years back and the pop-top had both curved and sharp corner "L" - Front and back decals were different.
The seller was the original owner, or so he claimed. He said the decals were original but never noticed they had different Ls...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Not sure if it changed over the years but the current logo on their official website has a curved "L".

Upper right on their website.
https://www.westfalia-mobil.com/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

My '90 still sports its factory lettering and both front and rear L's are rounded. If any vans have a square L, that decal was most likely replaced.

As for the OP's question, I'm probably the only one confused because the letters themselves are decals.🤔

Glenn wrote:
Not sure if it changed over the years but the current logo on their official website has a curved "L".

It hasn't changed. It's always been a round L.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
My '90 still sports its factory lettering and both front and rear L's are rounded. If any vans have a square L, that decal was most likely replaced.

As for the OP's question, I'm probably the only one confused because the letters themselves are decals.🤔

Glenn wrote:

My intent on the question was should I do individual letters or a decal (which I assumed was all the letters together). The decal would avoid trying to get each letter straight with the others.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

I expect you can get cutout vinyl letters on a strip so they do not have to be individually applied. Bike industry stickers have been like this for twenty years.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Either one, as long as it is pronounced DECK-al and not DEE-cal.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Low milage unmolested European Westy Joker. Inner edge sharp, outer round

You can look at my gallery for a closer look. Page 10

Replacement letters

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Speaking of decals, what's the difference between a Joker and a Club Joker?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

Glenn wrote:

My intent on the question was should I do individual letters or a decal (which I assumed was all the letters together). The decal would avoid trying to get each letter straight with the others.

Unless you are anal and meticulous, I would go for the single decal over individual letters. This way you have the correct spacing between letters.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Decal or Letters Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
Never noticed that on the GW repro, wow.. that looks bad compared to the original style "L".

Ugh, now I have something else to obsess about on my Westy. I have the wrong L decals. Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: