Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should be the color of the roof of our car?
Black
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Black
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Black
65%
 65%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 23

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

So, I am a bit torn between three colors for the roof of our car.

I could simply leave it red. No cost option, giving us a canonical red sports car.

It could be black. Giving the illusion of the original cover girl Karmann as seen on American motor magazines when it first arrived.

Or white. Matching the new whitewall tires it is getting and giving the illusion of a Karmann Ghia rarity.

I vacillate; what do you think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Hmmm...I don't like polls on a Technical Forum. You don't want the most popular opinion, you want the correct one.

The correct answer is: Black. Very Happy

You know you can get a Black wrap.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Black sucks. It shows every flaw, it always shows dirt & dust, & it raises the interior temps.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Black sucks. It shows every flaw, it always shows dirt & dust, & it raises the interior temps.

Only if you're lazy. Wink

Black also reflects a Blue sky beautifully...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Paint the roof green.
It will match your Vermont license plates.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Paint the roof green.

Red with a green roof wrapped in Christmas lights! Laughing ?? And your all set for Holiday Parades. Laughing

Seriously, the black roof on a red coupe is very classy and helps to show off the beautiful lines of a Ghia coupe.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
iowegian wrote:
Paint the roof green.

Red with a green roof wrapped in Christmas lights! Laughing ?? And your all set for Holiday Parades. Laughing

Seriously, the black roof on a red coupe is very classy and helps to show off the beautiful lines of a Ghia coupe.

Besides----it makes a lowly coupe look more like a cabriolet.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Paint the roof green.

Hey, stick with the program!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

How about just drive the thing for a season and enjoy it after all the work you have done.......Drive it like ya stole it!!

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

It could be black. Giving the illusion of the original cover girl Karmann as seen on American motor magazines when it first arrived.

This, for exactly that reason Pray But, if I were you, I'd hold on to the plan for a bit. Maybe have it wrapped by a pro (without taking anything out). But leaving a wrap on for too long affects the paint underneath and may pull it upon removal Crying or Very sad A good quality paint means taking the windows out. Then if the headliner has some issues, you may be temped to fix that, "while you're in there", and so on..... On the other hand, if the new interior turns out that good, painting the roof black can only help the vintage look Razz

But to be honest, even if you are excited and all, maybe leave it as it is for now, and finish the mechanicals, and drive the car. What if it's terrible to drive and you don't like it Not talking Razz ? Drive drive drive!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Trylon wrote:

This, for exactly that reason Pray But, if I were you, I'd hold on to the plan for a bit. Maybe have it wrapped by a pro (without taking anything out). But leaving a wrap on for too long affects the paint underneath and may pull it upon removal Crying or Very sad A good quality paint means taking the windows out. Then if the headliner has some issues, you may be temped to fix that, "while you're in there", and so on..... On the other hand, if the new interior turns out that good, painting the roof black can only help the vintage look Razz

But to be honest, even if you are excited and all, maybe leave it as it is for now, and finish the mechanicals, and drive the car. What if it's terrible to drive and you don't like it Not talking Razz ? Drive drive drive!

Yes, getting it on the road is my priority.

Absolutely no worries about restoration creep— I will simply run out of funds.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

I might go white but I’d have to make the wheels match as well

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I might go white but I’d have to make the wheels match as well

Interesting. Did white roofed cars get a different wheel color as well? Somehow I think not. I understand aesthetically it would be nice but does it further the illusion of actually being from 1959?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Perhaps a racing Stripe?

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

These are all practical concerns Chris— so your vote would be “stick with the TTS”?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Perhaps a racing Stripe?

You lose.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

These are all practical concerns Chris— so your vote would be “stick with the TTS”?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I suggested that from the beginning. Having given up ALL modern comforts, I thoroughly enjoy driving my beast, well, anywhere & everywhere.

Maybe black wouldn't be so bad in the summer in Connecticut, but it would be horrible down here.

I had a buddy who had a black late '80s GTI who was so proud when he made some polished aluminum diamond plate interior & floor panels, I laughed my ass of & told him that he just made a mobile, human sized solar oven, he shrugged it off & told me what I could do with myself. Two weeks later, the temps hit 102 & he had to go to the hospital with heat stroke because he got caught in stopped traffic for two hours.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Too many lowlights with that combination, it's like early deluxe busses. I like the all red.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Did white roofed cars get a different wheel color as well? Somehow I think not. I understand aesthetically it would be nice but does it further the illusion of actually being from 1959?

If you are going for the "Retro" look, paint the car pink with a charcoal roof and pretend it's a '55 Chebby.
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Red, White or Black? A Burning Question from Karmann Ghia Fever Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Trylon wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think I suggested that from the beginning. Having given up ALL modern comforts, I thoroughly enjoy driving my beast, well, anywhere & everywhere.

Maybe black wouldn't be so bad in the summer in Connecticut, but it would be horrible down here.

I had a buddy who had a black late '80s GTI who was so proud when he made some polished aluminum diamond plate interior & floor panels, I laughed my ass of & told him that he just made a mobile, human sized solar oven, he shrugged it off & told me what I could do with myself. Two weeks later, the temps hit 102 & he had to go to the hospital with heat stroke because he got caught in stopped traffic for two hours.

Well, we do get our share of hot/humid weather, but when we do we just switch on the air cond... OMG!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: