Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My milling machine is bigger than yours
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

It got bigger, but also uglier.
last year
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now twice as big

Series II with a J head adapted onto it.
total expenditure so far on this unit is under 1000$ if you can believe it, tho of course it has taken a lot of work to rebuild it, and it's not near done, but far enough to do some work.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

clean your fucking station! Jesus man. I think my boss would just shoot my ass instead of firing me if my station looked like that even mid pass.....

Also, I am jealous. That is a larger bench than I even have at work. Also, no electric readout? TBH, idk what I would do without one. Its so damn nice to be able to set a propper zero point and not have to count revolutions anymore. Definitely with the money IMO.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

magnesium always makes a big mess

It might be expensive to get dro for the 34" x travel. I can live without no problem tho. I'm used to ALL manual.

The biggest problems at the moment are that the Y handwheel is too low so I keep straining my back, and the machine isn't leveled.
It's so heavy that placing it there it made the floor flat so.... I don't think I can use adjustable feet like i did on the other one. I have to either get a riser....which I'd have make from a brake drum, or, raise the whole machine up 6" min. Or possibly dig a hole for myself to stand in.

the 4hp 40 taper head was totally wrecked, so I put a J head on it using a tracer machine adapter plate. The ram in particular is ridiculously heavy, 1" thick iron everywhere, super overkill. It is near impossible to crank the knee up and down manually, good thing it is powered! To help deal with that I made what I consider an IMPROVED depth stop for the quill. Need to get a pic of that....show you guys. I think you'll dig it.
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I'am guessing you have never had a mag fire on a mill.

Take it from somebody that's been there not fun...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Ok ok I sweep up
jeez every time the critics, you'd think I had a clear distributor cap on it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

the usual quill stop requires 100 turns to get from top to bottom, and is considered by many to not repeat well. often an educated or split nut is used instead, but isn't good at fine adjustments.
I changed it to a solid chromed rod and a locking collar. The collar can be unlocked and slid up and down quick. The top of it is gently curved so it only makes contact in the center.
A micrometer nut is at the bottom, allowing the set depth to be adjusted up or down in fine increments. .050 a rev list like usual

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Yes it is bigger than mine. Of little consequence on this end though as I have yet to get the tooling and learn how to use it. I had a tool and die maker buddy that was going to get me started but cancer got him before we got it done.

Am I seeing pan pipes? Play them to get in the zone or to wind down after work?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Its not the size, but how you use it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

That's a fact Wink
Is bigger better....not really, but it is bigger Laughing

the pipes are a holder for threaded rods.
Always the right length for the job, in reach

Last edited by modok on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I might have some dro sets from when Bridgeport got auctioned off. I know I had about five boxes. Of scales and read outs and brackets.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Oh Really! perhaps we could arrange some trade?
Tho may be worth a lot more to somebody that needs THAT particular... whatever it is.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Nice upgrade!
What I used to have when I had knee mills, were pieces of 1" tube with a slot milled length wise to clear the screw, we had them in 1". increments, surface ground top and bottom, the way we used them was to run quill nut all the way to bottom and lock, put a tube as needed in and bring knee up while holding quill against tube stop, zero or touch off the tool, drill, mill, ect. then release quill and dial in DOC with knee (more accurate then quill screw) then drill to depth, (tube stop).
I have one of these but never used it, been in my tool box 20 years make you a deal on it!

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

MIGHT be a fine thing to have tho..... it just depends what your doing, no best setup. I could still utilize the tube spacers, that's a good idea too.
The way I did the depth stop mainly was for counterboring operations where you hold it against the stop at the bottom, such as...
if you know what this is.

Normally yes I'd just make fine depth adjustments with the knee, but with this thing it's better to leave the knee alone, so I can make fine adjustments with the quill stop instead.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

You dont have to do anything if it is bigger - enough to just show it. Laughing

Mixing headstocks, Modok? An abominationi! Unless you got the table near free I can see myself bringing one home like that. This year is when I get rid of one Moore - a friend is buying it. I will probably get an INDEX mill again as I love that brand. I am not fan of BRidgeports at all. I have owned 6 in my lifetime and sold them all off. I was not happy w/ its performance in the R8 quill configuration. If Natl 30 or 40 tapers I will def get them.

SEems to me you are finding the joys of machinetools, MOdok. It is always a chore bringing them home. But I am happy once they are on the ground and I didnt drop it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

cubicle enginerds garage. 48" table, vari-speed I bought this in the springs a couple years ago at an auction for a machine shop that was closing the doors. ~1984. The Southbend next it is a wee bit older.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

That must be the elusive muffler bearing seat cutter tool! Did you grind the carbide form insert or WEDM? LOL
Yea, did lots of form tools in the early days before CNC
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I'll just have to be happy with my Super Max 9x42 and dinky Chinese 12x36 Grizzly 4003G. They were bought to build BR rifles but nowadays it's all generic stuff like a cam pulley repair for a Honda outboard. The mill is mostly used as a precision drill press.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I feel uncomfortable looking at a bunch of dudes “Big tools.” Reminds me of being a freshman in the locker room Shocked Pretty cool stuff though and beautiful rifle rayjay. Great, now I’m envious of someone’s “Big guns.” I feel so small Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

yup thats a nice table...but for gods sake clean the rust off it!!!it will shine ,like new!! now you need the 4 or 6" risor spacer for the head....I loove mine, but some times a pain in the ass with my efed up shoulder/arm/nerve damage. the china dro's are cheep. even the longer scales. you can get the dro for under $100 and the scales range from $34-about $85. most over 1000mm would be special order. but you dont need that. ebay or bangood has them, peice by peice.( unit& seprate scales) or in compleate kit you choose the scale length.( scale length is travel + 142mm. I like to put the longest scale possiable on the machine. also dont wast the $ on a quil scale, put a longer unit on the knee and a small cheep stainless scale on the quill. some scales and head units dont match up, but there are cables the rewire them avaliable....WTF? you would think they could all be a uniform wireing...most are but some arnt I have 1 with the special cable.. sent free of coarse instead of them( seller) eathing the scale.. dont forget to cover all your ways!!!!! keep em clean!!! cheep way cover at lowes/homerdepot, shower under tile liner works awesome!!!! ,
heck Ive got dro on my small "table top" old enco mill,and a new glass scale dro for my biger lathe I need to take some time and install...someday. my small lathe has 1 axis dro on it. someday I may add another dro to it.,
my brother just got another mill I think it's get that size bed on it.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I bought my DRO's from DRO Pros for both of my machines and I've been very happy with them, I can't imagine cutting threads in the lathe or decking a receiver in the milling machine without them. I wouldn't buy the cheap ones, you get what you pay for an all of that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: