Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My milling machine is bigger than yours
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Not a mill, but I added a little 13” swing South Bend Lathe…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That’s a real shorty, what is the bed length?

I think this is the shortest SB13 ever made, only a 48” bed, 16” between centers.

Last edited by RickS on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Southbends are the Chevys of lathes. I have never owned a SB - but they are nice lathes.

My first was a Clausing Colchester 13" x 36"- she was nice w/ hardened ways. Had Cushmans for chucks. Pratt Burnerd collets -expensive! Sold her and kept all the tools. Went to a pair of Hendeys huge suckers.

Then I finally sold them both Hendeys. Had enough money on two Monarchs and my smaller one - 10EE.

My dream precision lathe is a Hardinge HLVH - the holy grail of precision lathes. I don't think I will save enough money to ever own one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I've seen a Monarch 10EE go for as much or more as an HLVH. It was a real nice one at a large oil and gas company here. Looks like it was treated well.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

The Monarch 10EE is no slouch. It is a nice lathe - and I love it. For such a small lathe, it is freaking heavy! Very Happy

I was lucky to find mine - brand new power supply/servo and nobody bothered to fire it up after it was all changed out. I won it for song and dance back in the day. It is my priced possession.

But a Hardinge HLVH is hard to beat. Just gorgeous -and precise. The only people who can afford them are Uncle Sam. They have many of them in service in the US. Mint Dept/ Treasury.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

RickS wrote:
Vanapplebomb wrote:
Not a mill, but I added a little 13” swing South Bend Lathe…

That’s a real shorty, what is the bed length?

I think this is the shortest SB13 ever made, only a 48” bed, 16” between centers.

I think it is the angle making it look a little bit shorter than it is, but it is a 5’ bed, so still a cute little guy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

But a Hardinge HLVH is hard to beat. Just gorgeous -and precise. The only people who can afford them are Uncle Sam. They have many of them in service in the US. Mint Dept/ Treasury.

I had a good experience getting my Bridgeport and Hardinge chucker. The ways on the Bridgeport were in excellent condition. The chucker had just been rebuilt before being put into storage for CNC machines. Bought them both from a medical device manufacturing company.

Find a pair of HLVH and I will take one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
My dream precision lathe is a Hardinge HLVH - the holy grail of precision lathes. I don't think I will save enough money to ever own one.

Here is our Hardinge HLV with the turret carriage. It’s made a metric shit ton of parts. Still an amazing lathe, though it doesn’t get used as much anymore. We got a Citizen 12L and a HAAS CL-1 that work all day.

Brian
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

Here is our Hardinge HLV with the turret carriage. It’s made a metric shit ton of parts. Still an amazing lathe, though it doesn’t get used as much anymore. We got a Citizen 12L and a HAAS CL-1 that work all day.

That's what I have with the threading attachment on the back. Wonderful little machine.

What all have you made with it?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Question for you machinists: How do you deal with temp variances when dealing with tolerances of a tenth of less?

Most good quality measuring tools are calibrated at 68F

10 to 15 degrees of temp changes alot of dimensions
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

chrisflstf - In a "prior life", I was a Manufacturing Engineer at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft. When we had super close tolerance dimensions to hold, we would add temperature compensation charts to the operation sheets. The operator would check the temperature of the part and the gauge and use the difference shown on the chart. We would know what type of material they were cutting to know the temperature change of the part. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Brian_e wrote:

That's what I have with the threading attachment on the back. Wonderful little machine.

What all have you made with it?

Thousands and thousands of various gun parts for old obsolete guns. Firing pins, plungers, pins, etc. We make over 4500 different parts.

www.jackfirstgunparts.com

Brian
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

If I am lineboring a case in dead of winter, I will torch it a little and have it lukewarm. The Harbor fReight driveway ice melter comes very handy. Laughing I don't need the case hot...just lukewarm.

I let it rest a minute and start my setup. My linebore bushings have to be warm too or it will be snug on the bar. You know when it is good coz the bar will free itself.

My garage is not heated - but I have a space heater next to me if I am doing something important in the garage late at night in dead of winter.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I'm late to the party, but I doubt your milling machine is bigger than mine. April, 2022 Doosan (DN Solutions) NHP 4000 horizontal with a 12 pallet linear system. 15,000 40 taper spindle and holds 275 cutting tools in a tool matrix 12 foot high. It holds 400 gallons of coolant and has 1000psi thru spindle coolant. It runs 20 hours a day, 6 days a week. It was $790,000 plus tombstones and tooling. We are into it $1.3 million so far.

https://youtu.be/_tiejEXeumE
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Brian
I have a 2020 Haas CL-1 at work that replaced a 2004 Omniturn GT-75 that is now in my shop. The Omni, even with gang tools is a better, faster machine. The CL has been down for almost 3 weeks now.

7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
I have a 2020 Haas CL-1 at work that replaced a 2004 Omniturn GT-75 that is now in my shop. The Omni, even with gang tools is a better, faster machine. The CL has been down for almost 3 weeks now.

Ours has been great so far, but we don’t push it real hard. Light cuts and no huge runs. The guy running it is a Cnc newbie, so it’s easy for him to handle for now.

Brian
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I got a Sunnen 1800 Rod Hone coming home shortly -

Been meaning to do exotic rod conversions for the high-perf VW for awhile. Those early 911 Porsche rods are looking promising to me.

Even some Chevy Carrillos are looking attractive to me lately. Laughing

I will update when I have it cleaned and running production.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

I used sunnen rod machine for around 30 years, ive had one hear at home for about 12 years I reckon, bought some more tooling for it...and have never used it.....but if I ever need to its' there and can be used for oh so much more than just rods. after all sunnen originally called them bushing grinders...I also have special mandrels for honing master cylinders and more. much more. it sucks when life gets in the way of fun.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Geeze, Tucker. All the machines I got- I put my hands all over them. Laughing

Why bring it home if you will not fondle it. Laughing
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

Ok, So y'all have posted your home/shop machines.

For the industrial players. The Doosan NHP 4000, so far is the winner in the contest.
That thing is magical.
It reminds me of some automated CNC machines I saw at Hughes Missiles in Tuscon back in the early 90's. Massive machines that had rotary drum loading for the tooling, used to machine missile parts.

For the home/shop gang. John Bates is the winner so far for big machines.
That GT-75 is fricken cool for sure.

Nick wins with the most shop toys. Unless he has sold most of them for a shop retooling.

The most precision tool I have on hand here is a Yellow Jacket portable boring bar. Never used it. But I own one! Very Happy

Keep posting your machines. Some of us like watching what you have, from afar.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My milling machine is bigger than yours Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Did anyone buy a new addition mill this time around? I am about to bring home the one for me.

And I got lucky in a Sunnen Rod hone 1800 -had to get it too. So hard to get anyone do stock rods anymore - so I figured might as well do them myself.

You get this thing plugged in yet? VERy nice, just what we all want right?
Or thought we did, r8 is much easier to regrind Wink And honing rods too, that's great. once you get setup you know you have to do some work right?
If you BORE the bushings then they can all be matched length and I'm sure you can figure out how to do that. I'm mostly out of cores, 75% of htem are already buchered in some way or another rendering them junk.

I figured out how to do thrust conversion on subarus the old fashioned way with a facing head, reach around to do the inside face. the going price is 300-600 for that job. Very proud of the setup & tooling but not going take a picture, its a secret, tho it's so simple the secret is there isn't one. but you do need a least a 4" riser.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: