Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Santa Barbara 15 Window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

For those of you that have Facebook, the "reveal" of what was under all of that house paint on the famous or infamous Santa Barbara 15 window bus is happening live! Here is a link to the video on the Hot VWs page:

https://www.facebook.com/HotVWs/videos/3278570705504246/

Edit: If you don't have Facebook, here is the Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sckBJdVGDsc&fb...W0XqdRhmJ4

The "before" picture:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The "before" video at the 2020 winter OCTO meet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z958YEO1MUA

Last edited by Shoyrtt on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

they should have left it alone or peeled 1/2 of it down the middle, might as well pick it up and insert in the dumpster now.....
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

In progress screen captures:

Last edited by Shoyrtt on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

yikes, that thing is hosed
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

i think if you used a panel as a donor you could probably convert it into that panel?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

I was watching, insane!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
yikes, that thing is hosed

I checked out a bunch of the video and that is a the understatement of the century, it's wasted!
Big holes everywhere under that stuff
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

I saw that thing a OCTO last month, it is wasted. I also just watched a little of the video and the condition under the paint doesn't surprise me. The paint was so thick it looked like stucco.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
I saw that thing a OCTO last month, it is wasted. I also just watched a little of the video and the condition under the paint doesn't surprise me. The paint was so thick it looked like stucco.

I saw it for the first time maybe 5 years ago in the marina parking lot in Santa Barbara. It was listed for sale here on the Samba at the end of January for less than a day. I want to say the price was 6K. I also saw it at the OCTO meet last month and agree it looked wasted. Shocked

In the Youtube video, the bus was described as being lived in by a lady in Ventura. The rumor I heard was the bus was always parked at the marina. Here are the parking lot stickers for the marina:

Last edited by Shoyrtt on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw pieces falling off as we were parking it that morning at OCTO. It wasn't readily apparent how you actually got in the bus as most of the doors seemed to be spackled over.
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

Here is the best screen capture after the short drive around the block. Cool

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

Dat chit didnt buff out?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

I think that's kind of sad. There was at least some local 'interest value' in the story.

Peeling the 'shell' off it has robbed it of that and exposed just another rust-bucket that'll likely end up a parts donor, or a reconstructed bus built from repro panels.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
I think that's kind of sad. There was at least some local 'interest value' in the story.

Peeling the 'shell' off it has robbed it of that and exposed just another rust-bucket that'll likely end up a parts donor, or a reconstructed bus built from repro panels.

I agree. It was too far gone to be a viable bus restoration candidate, but as a piece of local history and folklore it was pretty cool. They ruined it.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

I watched that video last night quietly eating a late dinner Shocked . I can’t form any opinions but my reaction was, I’m surprised the poor bus could support the weight of itself and not crumple like tin foil. All that tape just held moisture in place for it to do its dirty work. Looked like cake frosting spatulaed all over it. Hopefully some parts to help others live, but even the dry pieces are slathered in mystery paint, there just has to be cleaner “parts’’ to source out there.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I watched that video last night quietly eating a late dinner Shocked . I can’t form any opinions but my reaction was, I’m surprised the poor bus could support the weight of itself and not crumple like tin foil. All that tape just held moisture in place for it to do its dirty work. Looked like cake frosting spatulaed all over it. Hopefully some parts to help others live, but even the dry pieces are slathered in mystery paint, there just has to be cleaner “parts’’ to source out there.

I was thinking the same thing, but the Youtube video showed that the underside was actually in good shape. Again, my theory from the rumors I heard was the bus sat in the salt air of a marina parking lot. All of that house paint and paper mache and junk absorbed the corrosive salt air and roached the top. It sounded like from the comments from the Facebook video they plan on trying to restore it. Shocked
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

The biggest surprise to me, is that this thing has 2019 tags on it Shocked I know California is big on emissions testing, but do they do safety inspections?
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

Not worth restoring.

Will take $125-150k to restore.

Only if it was a 23-window would one consider restoring it.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
The biggest surprise to me, is that this thing has 2019 tags on it Shocked I know California is big on emissions testing, but do they do safety inspections?

Unfortunately no unless for you some reason you get pulled over by the cops and they tag the vehicle as unsafe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Santa Barbara 15 Window Reply with quote

turkis-deluxe wrote:
TheRustySuper wrote:

Unfortunately no unless for you some reason you get pulled over by the cops and they tag the vehicle as unsafe.

Interesting. Same in my neck of the woods though, if it makes it to the BMV under its own power and has a VIN, you can register it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: