Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

“1964” beetle bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions. I recently bought this “1964” volkswagen with a crank sunroof. The original owner said it was never repanned and never had any accidents. Interesting features include a 1960 serial number on the pan which matches the body tag, peanut turn signals, 62+ tail lights, the crank sunroof, no semaphores, no ignition switch on dash, but on the column (not a steering lock, though), vinyl headliner, 3 “stud” trunk lid, small license plate light “pope nose,” rather than the 1964 type. Original Owner bought it in Germany in 1964. Did they just “update” a left over 1960 car? it’s pretty weird. please explain. ps it needs a battery pan repair.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

peanut indicators would be correct for an early 64 (up to november 1963 or so going from memory), the plate light should be wide in any case though
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

ineverlistentoFM wrote:
The original owner said it was never repanned...

Unfortunately, people don't always tell the truth Confused

Whatever year it is, it looks to be in really nice shape. The roof could be a graft, and parts & tags are easily swapped around.

Any pics of the interior?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

Does the title vin match the pan vin?
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

title vin matches pan vin...original owners are senior citizens who just see it as a car...they didn’t know what I was talking about when I referred to “pan.”
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

It looks like a 63 to me except the steel sunroof is 64 only. It could be an early 64 car, they came that way. One hint would be if that engine cover with the small light has the later style stamping in the raised detail above it. That's another late 63 or early 64 detail.

What is the frame number, less the last 4 digits? How about a shot of the gas tank area? How about an engine shot too? Do you have a fuel gauge? Oh, does 1st gear whine and grind if you try to shift into it while moving forward? These are all things to help identify the year. If it started out in Europe that could cause some odd combos, but there are members here that identify those too.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

body is definitely not a '60. Large windows. Rear license plate housing is called "small" housing, as Pope's nose was 1940s. FYI, early '64s had the '63 style small license plate light housing carry over in early production. What's the VIN under rear seat tunnel plate and VIN from plate behind spare wheel? Post the first 5 digits, at least.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
It looks like a 63 to me except the steel sunroof is 64 only. It could be an early 64 car, they came that way. One hint would be if that engine cover with the small light has the later style stamping in the raised detail above it. That's another late 63 or early 64 detail.

What is the frame number, less the last 4 digits? How about a shot of the gas tank area? How about an engine shot too? Do you have a fuel gauge? Oh, does 1st gear whine and grind if you try to shift into it while moving forward? These are all things to help identify the year. If it started out in Europe that could cause some odd combos, but there are members here that identify those too.

As far as the Lic. plate goes; I have a Sept 26, 1963, 1964 113. It has peanut front turn signal lamps and the new rear wide license plate lamp. I have a friend whose 64 was built a week before mine and has the old style license plate light. Also remember that 1200"A"'s and 1200Customs have the old pre 63 License plate light through 1967.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

^^^I suspect early '64 production. Hopefully, the VIN will get posted to answer these burning questions Wink

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
^^^I suspect early '64 production. Hopefully, the VIN will get posted to answer these burning questions Wink

Give us a shot of the interior if you will. And also a shot of the inside of the front bonnet area, preferably with the cover for the wiring/speedo off.
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

posted the 1960 pan number, below. I suspected early ‘64 production for body, too, but with the pan #, I don’t know what to think. the speedo is 9/63.

Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

Not 1960–I forgot a number when looking up the vin ON THE BUS list...ugh! early 64!

Last edited by Kutie on Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

August 1963 made Beetle, it is an early 1964 model year car. That explains why so much looks like a '63, except for the steel sunroof that started with the 1964 model year.

I actually looked at one such Bug in Seattle. It had a cheesy red respray and the dash cut for an aftermarket stereo, but was a rust free car that may have been an ex race car. The metal plaques on the dash from Stardust Raceway and Riverside Speedway where cool but not enough to justify the price.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

The most indicative element between 63 and 64 is the licence plate light on the engine cover.

A lot of people change the rear lid to have the most appreciate small "nose" plate light housing.

This is the reason why a lot of '64/65 owner does not post photos of the rear of their car Smile
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

ineverlistentoFM wrote:
Not 1960–I forgot a number when looking up the vin ON THE BUS list...ugh! early 64!

I love the early cars that carry over a part or two from the prior year. People want to argue that your car is something else because of those details because they deal in "absolutes." That's not the VW way Smile For example, early '63s still wore a Wolfsburg hood crest and had rear seat kick panels with small oval vent holes, early '67s didn't get the sloping rear towel bars right away, the small license plate light housing carrying over into early '64, and many other examples. Keeps one on their toes Laughing

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: “1964” beetle bug Reply with quote

That's a real beauty. I have the same car in white.

How much did you pay?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: