Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

i love your tools! what a great re-purposing of junk. on my rebuild, above the gear oil level the case was black, some sort of magnesium oxide from sitting 13 years. was really resistant to scrubbing, solvents but i never hot tanked the cases. would next time i think.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Old Man, my fabricated tools look almost like yours .... good work.

After an initial pressure wash, I use Dawn Liquid and a brush to soap up everything, inside and out followed by a good pressure rinse. Then, I use compressed air to knock off all the water ..........

Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Long overdue update: Sorry, no pictures.

I went to the UK for work for 10 days. Brickwerks was kind enough to ship my bearing to my hotel.

When I came back I had plans to rebuild it all during my mandatory isolation. Unfortunately the wife had other plans, I had to redo the entire kitchen during my 2 week isolation. Once that was out of the way I could get back to the transmission.

It all went back fairly straight forward. I had to do it about 3 times, first time I forgot the pinion shims, second time I forgot part of the linkage, third time was a charm. It seems to work well enough. 4th gear definitely has a whine now. Changes pitch with both throttle and RPM. It's not too bad, I'm hoping it will quiet down a little once the surfaces wear in.

So in conclusion: I recommend installing a pilot bearing.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Glad it's working again.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Glad it's working again.

As am I. I hope it lasts this time as well. I will post some pictures/updates as I change the oil a few times in the coming days/weeks.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

20km or so later.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What I am thinking, and hoping, is this is all debris that was stuck in my peloquin. I never did clean that thing out, sort of forgot about it.

Still doing a bit of a frothy thing. Probably a combination of cheaper oil and changing it about 2 min after shutdown.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Although the torque biasing diffs have a few different designs, one common thread exists that is common to all - - they all hide shrapnel and fines. They must be fully disassembled and thoroughly cleaned every rebuild. I sense I am preaching to the choir here, though.

I hope the damage to the needle bearings was minimal.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
Although the torque biasing diffs have a few different designs, one common thread exists that is common to all - - they all hide shrapnel and fines. They must be fully disassembled and thoroughly cleaned every rebuild. I sense I am preaching to the choir here, though.

I hope the damage to the needle bearings was minimal.

Not so much preaching to the choir as trying to preach on Monday to an empty church.... I should have thought of the peloquin earlier, before I put everything back together. To be honest I am not sure there is much point at this time, maybe in a few days I will find the motivation to once again take my transmission out.

Any one have a link, thread, or instructions on how to disassemble a peloquin?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

One MUST use a T-bar when loosening each TBD Allen bolt, or stripped hexes are almost guaranteed.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Well, I decided to heed everyone's advice and take the peloquin apart to clean it.

There is about 10km on this.

I timed myself. 29 min. I should not be able to go this fast, I have been doing this too often.

Here are some pictures, mostly in case someone takes one apart in the future it might help. There are no needle bearings in here and there was no debris. I guess it washed out pretty well. Assembly is reverse of disassembly. Just under 3hrs start to finish including some googling to see if I had to remove the dif brearings, I did not. I have not test drove it yet, today was way to nice of a day not to take the targa out to the grocery store.

Be aware of this locating pin.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Seems simple enough...haha.
What year Targa? I've got a 79 needs resurrecting and driven to the store. Long route.
Glad to see you have prevailed.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Seems simple enough...haha.
What year Targa? I've got a 79 needs resurrecting and driven to the store. Long route.
Glad to see you have prevailed.

88. I just resurrected it from winter slumber about a week ago. Just charged the battery for an hour, turned the key, and off I went. The thing is such a well built tank.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding transaxle with Samba help! 091/1 (fun starts pg 4) Reply with quote

Another datum for anyone interested. About 500km on this oil. 4th change including having forgot to clean the peloquin.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Jump to:
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: