Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9L Cooling System Drain Screws – Water Jacket Drain Screws
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uptime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: 1.9L Cooling System Drain Screws – Water Jacket Drain Screws Reply with quote

I have read through the Vanagon FAQ and the multiple posts on the Shop-Vac, tip it on end, flush till it’s clean, just add chemical additive, and the disassemble it methods of draining or maintaining the engine coolant.

What I am curious about is the shop manual method... using the coolant drainage screws in the water jackets.

I have only found a few comments by ftp2leta and one more person I can’t find ATM regarding the drain screws. This seems ... unpopular.

A mechanic at my local Vanagon service shop says using the drainage screws on the water jackets may have worked when the motor was new but not for the number of times a Vanagon owner will need them (every 2nd year). With a comment to the effect of, ‘even if any aluminum is left, the threads can only be chased with a tap so many times and its a losing battle.’

I assume galvanic corrosion is likely the biggest concern and its effect on the life of the threads on the aluminum block/ jacket. That and if some 30 years later that there is any true metal left in the hole at all.

What I hope to learn from The Samba community:

1. Why are the drainage screws not used by many?

2. What is the likelihood of the threads in the holes being usable after 30 years?

3. What are the pit falls of removing / extracting these screws and the shielding (stripped threads, no exhaust manifold studs available etc)?

4. What can I do to reduce the amount of damage or eliminate damage during the first extraction of the screws?

I expect the shield exhaust bolts will need heat and penetrating oil and will need to be replaced.

Assuming I get the screws out and there are threads left on the aluminum block, I hope there will be enough to chase a tap through them and clean them up.

I propose a solution for future use (my untested idea that is open for comments):

a. Aluminum screws to replace the steel ones, I see this reducing the electrical potential of the metals. The screw would likely be T6061 and the other metal the aluminum water jacket. So, the alloys will likely differ in composition and galvanic potential but hopefully very slightly and the anti-seize and antifreeze will stop any ion exchange.

b. Use a marine friendly anti-seize compound such as Permatex Aluminum based anti-seize. I am hoping salt water with its large number of ions is more of an issue than phosphate free antifreeze for the anti-seize. Then again, the antifreeze metal protecting compounds may be too similar to the anti-seize and a whole new chemistry experiment may be underway. I have read some anti-seize really does poorly in coolant/ antifreeze. Any thoughts?

Are their any other methods people are using to keep these drainage holes in good health and in use?

Thank you!
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Cooling System Drain Screws – Water Jacket Drain Screws Reply with quote

But why? You're just asking for trouble with no benefit to show for it.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Cooling System Drain Screws – Water Jacket Drain Screws Reply with quote

I agree, just wait for the regular water pump change out due to slow leak or impending failure and you’ll get a coolant fluid exchange… Wink Wink
Seriously though, all kidding aside, it’s so less risky to drain coolant from somewhere else in the engine or coolant system than to risk posting about How do I fix snapped drain plugs on my engine?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Cooling System Drain Screws – Water Jacket Drain Screws Reply with quote

I probably haven't pulled one of those plugs in 15-20 years. No use in punishing myself just to spill a bit more antifreeze on the ground. I actually tried to remove them when I installed a used 2.1L in my 83 1/2, but the applied torque reached levels I was not happy with without the plugs budging. Better to leave well enough alone.
Uptime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Cooling System Drain Screws – Water Jacket Drain Screws Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time.

If I clean out these holes out one day. I will follow up to this post then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: