Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who does this?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Who does this? Reply with quote

Just saw a commercial for a Aston Martin Vantage lease... $1699/month.

Then i read the fine print.

"quote based on 2020 Aston Martin Vantage with MSRP $171,250; 36 monthly payments x $1,699.00 = $61,164 in total payments. 15,000 miles at lease end."

Who the hell drives only 15,000 miles in 3 years? I do that in a single year.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

My dad doesn’t drive much anymore, 2013 Hyundai has only 32k miles.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

My best guess?

It would be a secondary / toy / weekend fun car

I heard recently that there are a lot of Corvette's and similar cars like that.
Old dudes that only use it on the weekend for pleasure cruising
... almost like a lot of vintage VW owners.

I was expecting you to say who drops $61K on a lease because DAMN
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randayn
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

I must be old/old school. I never financed a car in my life. Never had a new car in my life, but I have owned some very cool cars.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

You aren't commuting with a car like that.

I am amazed at the low mileage cars out there. I just bought a 2013 ML350 with 12k miles on it. And when I did I was deciding between that one and one (the same year) with 6k miles on it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

You are likely so busy earning the money to pay for toys like that that you have little time to actually go drive it. And/or as EB says, a second weekend toy?

Of course if those are as reliable as many other supercars you may spend most of that lease time driving the dealers loaner car anyways Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thanks for reading between the lines... you win.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Of course if those are as reliable as many other supercars you may spend most of that lease time driving the dealers loaner car anyways Razz

There's a local guy that drive his Porsche 911 Turbo daily into Manhattan. He's got over 100,000 miles on it in 7 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

If you’re leasing an Aston Martin, maybe you’re house of cards is built on shaky ground. Better go with the Buick
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

It’s not much worse than all of those that took on that much or more debt for a degree. Especially those that did not get one.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

My mother-in-law's 20-year-old Honda has only 35,000 miles ... but she is 93 and no longer drives. The car still gets used for runs to the grocery and doctor appointments once or twice a week. Been thinking about getting a new car for her. And I think there is an Aston Martin dealer nearby. I guess I should stop in. Rolling Eyes

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

randayn wrote:
I must be old/old school. I never financed a car in my life. Never had a new car in my life, but I have owned some very cool cars.

I know an older guy who owned and ran a Porsche shop in Venice, CA then here in Colorado Springs. We had a similar conversation once about new cars. He mentioned how all of his friends back in CA would buy new cars regularly.

'Mike, I always drove old cars...' Looks up at me, 'but they were always Porsche's.'

I have a lot of respect for that guy.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Looking at simply- it's no different than the average Joe's interest in driving a new car every couple of years. Around Idaho trucks are the big thing with leases (50-60k compensatory rigs). This A-M is just on a grander, higher tax bracket scale. Quite practical when you think of it. The leasor gets to enjoy an A-M temporarily, not as a rental and they're not on the hook for the whole loan value. The residual value takes a hit for sure (about the same as % as any high-end lease) so they next owner is the one rewarded- just like in the world of pickups.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

But who can afford $1700/month for a hobby car?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Glenn wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Looking at simply- it's no different than the average Joe's interest in driving a new car every couple of years. Around Idaho trucks are the big thing with leases (50-60k compensatory rigs). This A-M is just on a grander, higher tax bracket scale. Quite practical when you think of it. The leasor gets to enjoy an A-M temporarily, not as a rental and they're not on the hook for the whole loan value. The residual value takes a hit for sure (about the same as % as any high-end lease) so they next owner is the one rewarded- just like in the world of pickups.

This was generally my thought too.

When you make a lot of money, let's say $100K/month, "wasting" $60K over 3 years probably isn't a big deal.

It's weird to me that there was TV ad for this though - are they targeting people who can't afford it too or is the purpose to get you to look at other cheaper Aston Martin products?

I did a Google search on Aston Martin and an ad came up right away for:
https://www.astonmartinamericas.com/2020-vantage-lease/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

this reminds me of the porsche guy I was talking to one day. he had moved to fl from wash state. the porsche was still up there in storage... he said he couldent see paying almost $1800 to have the car brought down hear. I told him I could do it for half that. he was intrigued..then asked how? I tell him flying...he said who is gonna fly it for that?? I tell him just give me the keys and the address and I fly the I drive it back. I thought he was going to faint. then I told him." THE FUCKING CAR WAS MADE TO DRIVE!! NOT STORE!!!" why do you think porsche made his cars so fun to drive?? you just cant fix stupid. Shocked
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Really? A person that makes several hundred thousand dollars a year. They buy all kinds of stupid shit. Especially if they are trust fund babies.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
You aren't commuting with a car like that.

I am amazed at the low mileage cars out there. I just bought a 2013 ML350 with 12k miles on it. And when I did I was deciding between that one and one (the same year) with 6k miles on it.

You must live in Florida...

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

I have a friend who works at the same company as I do. He makes about $150k a year from his real job. His "side job" is owning a couple of car washes with his brother.

They do short term leases on high end cars and run them as expenses for his car wash. He has had high end Porsches, Lambos and other exotics. He now has a bright green McLaren 570
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Who does this? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Really? A person that makes several hundred thousand dollars a year. They buy all kinds of stupid shit. Especially if they are trust fund babies.

Michael Bloomberg
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: