Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

Hi,

need some help, please.

I have three different seats and don‘t know which is the correct structure for my 411 LE (build in spring 1971). Unfortunally the prospects contain only small pictures.

A = my sparepart maybe for 411 without L ?
V = my actuell frontseat
H = my actuell backseat, I guess these are the original ones for my 1971 411 LE.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks.
Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

Later I will pull,up and post the combinations sheets for that,year from the parts book.

Interesting. There were no 411 or 412 available in the US with cloth seats. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

Thank you Ray,

Really, no cloth seats in the States?
The color combination is not the question, the structure, I hoped that someone has little experiance in that.

Marc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

I'm not sure what, if any, Types/models made it to the US with anything but "leatherette", unless they were gray market or other types on non-VWOA import paths.

I always regretted this, since the cloth breathes better in hot climates like ours, though it wouldn't be as durable.
937carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

Maybe a little late but I have some information for you.

I have looked at my UK brochures (usually the same as the German ones, but with the pictures reversed to make them look like RHD)

I have a '72 model year 411 brochure which has two interiors, black (50) and alabaster (52) which was only available on sumatra green (17) and turquoise metallic (82). There is a good picture on pages 5-6

The closest to your picture is H

I immediately recognised A as being the same cloth pattern as my 412LS. This came in three colours black (03), bamboo (0Cool and mocca (34). Yours looks very faded

My first two type 4's both had black cloth interiors

I can't remember if there is a chassis plate somewhere on the car or in the drivers manual that gives the full trim specification. You could maybe look for that, it's set out as paint bottom half, top half, trim so for my 412LS that would be

W4 W4 34

I have a thread at http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8428 which has some pictures and links. In the years since I have discovered the '74 gold is actually Hellas metallic

I hope that is of help

My conclusion would be that your current front seats have been recovered in non original cloth, the current rear seat is original and your spares are from a later 412. If you find a supplier for recovering the seats I would be interested to know. Over the years I have looked at a number of German suppliers without success, but my German is only fairly basic.
MarcVoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

937carrera wrote:

My conclusion would be that your current front seats have been recovered in non original cloth, the current rear seat is original and your spares are from a later 412. If you find a supplier for recovering the seats I would be interested to know. Over the years I have looked at a number of German suppliers without success, but my German is only fairly basic.

Thank you David,
Yes, somebody else also told me, that the spare parts are from a 1974 412.
Unfortunally, the pictures in the prospects aren‘t whery detailled.
Nearby Munich there is a cloth dealer, I will try to visit him soon, taking all three pattern with me (dry weather and unsalted streets needed). Then I will know, what is available.

My plan is to give the spare seats away for rebuilding. But the seats will be destroyed, because there are plastic parts inside which are needed.
It would be easier to my mind, if I would have one in bad condition. That set, I have, has only one hole in the driver seat, about 1“ diameter.

Marc
937carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

You might find this brochure useful. It is in German, but from 1970 rather than 1971 which is the one I was trying to find online

http://www.vw-411.de/Literatur-ueber-VW-411-412/Prospekt-VW-411-LE/
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

Check the colorcharts in the archive area.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1971_411_colors.php
1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Correct upholstery 411 LE / 1971 Reply with quote

Here is what my book has.

These are in order. Each section has a first page showing which models and chassis number range at the top and a second half page showing the color combos.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: