Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there should be a hose on the air cleaner system (red arrow) of a 1970 Porsche 2.2S MFI.
The engine runs fine without hose but I have seen several photos and some 2.2S MFI have that hose and others do not.

Thanks and regards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

preheat from the heat exchanger for faster warmup, should be a chamber with a fitting on the heat exchanger to connect a hose to that closes when the car is warmed up and then cuts the hot air from going into the snorkel
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
preheat from the heat exchanger for faster warmup, should be a chamber with a fitting on the heat exchanger to connect a hose to that closes when the car is warmed up and then cuts the hot air from going into the snorkel

Thanks.

This is the only connection I can find, it comes out and stays in the body and has the same diameter as the one on the snorkel.
That connection is located next to the bottom left of the oil filter, barely visible and not connected to the heat exchanger.
There is also no fitting for that hose on the right side heat exchanger MFI.
Is this what you mean?

Better photo.

Here is another photo (not my car) of a 2.2S MFI

Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
preheat from the heat exchanger for faster warmup

Found it.
Indeed, a hose must be connected to the snorkel for faster warmup.

Here is an interior view of the chassis/body along the right side of the engine.
The tube with the connection behind the oil filter that I mentioned in my previous post, can be seen here.
All Porsches 911 '65 -'71 (carburetor and MFI) have this tube.

The heat exchanger on the right has no fitting but is connected to the heating control box which is connected to the chassis / body where that tube is also located.
Another clever solution from the Porsche designers!

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

The correct hose (preheat) and 2 clamps arrived today.
I drove the car and the engine warms up faster.
Now I can also push the hand throttle lever down faster without the engine tending to stall after a cold start.

Regards.

Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Sorry for the hijack but while we are in the subject of hoses, in my 911 flat6 equipped 1968 912 Targa, the original air filters are gone as it now has a pair of Webers and Weber type air filters. Consequently, I have a breather tube alongside the oil filler neck with nothing on it and just blowing oil fumes into the engine bay. My question is; should I plug it or better yet, install a hose from this breather tube on the filler neck and route it into the 'pipe' as shown on 'Ovally's' photos with the red arrow? Would this be safe and not harm the engine? Thanks very much!
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Speedsterboy wrote:
Sorry for the hijack but while we are in the subject of hoses, in my 911 flat6 equipped 1968 912 Targa, the original air filters are gone as it now has a pair of Webers and Weber type air filters. Consequently, I have a breather tube alongside the oil filler neck with nothing on it and just blowing oil fumes into the engine bay. My question is; should I plug it or better yet, install a hose from this breather tube on the filler neck and route it into the 'pipe' as shown on 'Ovally's' photos with the red arrow? Would this be safe and not harm the engine? Thanks very much!

Do not install a hose from the breather tube alongside the oil filler neck into the "pipe" sticking out of the chassis.
If you do that you get fumes in the cabin !!!!
That "pipe" is intended to connect a hose (preheating) that goes to the snorkel of the air filter housing.
Also don't plug it.

You have Webers and Weber type air filters.
I've seen solutions, from simple to more complicated, at the http://forums.pelicanparts.com/
Like this one for example with a modified old washer fluid bottle attached to the firewall.

I suppose there should also be a drain at the bottom of the bottle : a hose to this pipe with valve, attached to the engine tin / flywheel side.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Mate but I can't seem to find specifically on Pelican where or what to do with the other end of the hose as an alternative to the washer bottle. Thank you very much again! Cheers!
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Speedsterboy wrote:
Thanks for the response Mate but I can't seem to find specifically on Pelican where or what to do with the other end of the hose as an alternative to the washer bottle. Thank you very much again! Cheers!

Here you see another solution for the hose : 1969 Porsche 912 to 911 engine conversion.
In my opinion a nicer solution.

Post a photo of your engine bay / compartment.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot Mate, now I understand. I actually have those holes on my air filters as well for those 'L' type plastic fitting/tubes or the whole kit? Thanks so much again!

Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Speedsterboy wrote:
Wow, thanks a lot Mate, now I understand. I actually have those holes on my air filters as well for those 'L' type plastic fitting/tubes or the whole kit? Thanks so much again!

Looks like you need something like this vapor kit.

https://www.partsklassik.com/p-3031-vapor-kit-for-pmo-air-filters.aspx

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

I was sent this photo by someone else who had the same issue, it seems like the 'prettiest' and simplest way of dealing with the issue. A 'breathing' filter directly on the breather pipe outlet. Any thoughts? Good or bad? Thanks!

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=520199&d=1585820451
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Speedsterboy wrote:
I was sent this photo by someone else who had the same issue, it seems like the 'prettiest' and simplest way of dealing with the issue. A 'breathing' filter directly on the breather pipe outlet. Any thoughts? Good or bad? Thanks!

https://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=520199&d=1585820451

It does look neat indeed, don't know it will have much effect but you can try it.
You may still have some greasy fumes and smell the oil vapors in the engine compartment.
Some recommend that it is better to use an oil catch can with a filter at the top.
A catch can seperates oil and vapors better than only a filter on the oil filler neck and can be drained regularly if necessary.
In either case, I think it will always smell and be a bit greasy.

For the environment I suggest to direct the catch can vapors into the air intake filters.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks again Ovally. That's a really nice looking oil catch can. Do you know where I can buy it from? I looked online and can't find that exact one on your photo.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Speedsterboy wrote:
Thanks again Ovally. That's a really nice looking oil catch can. Do you know where I can buy it from? I looked online and can't find that exact one on your photo.

Don't know the brand.
This one looks close : Moroso 85400.

You may need to replace the inlet fitting to match the inner diameter of the breather hose.
You can ask Himni-racing, they have fittings and adapters.
http://www.himni-racing.com/accessories/oil-catch-...ring-inlet

Some other oil breather tanks.
https://www.himni-racing.com/accessories/universal-oil-catch-bypass-tanks

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Question air cleaner system Porsche 2.2S MFI 1970 Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all your assistance Mate. I've sent this guys an e-mail. Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: