Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Convertible: Two different headliners?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

The person doing the convertible top replacement for my 1967 has taken apart the top, and noted that, while my headliner is off-white perforated vinyl, the C pillars (inner facing wood) are wrapped with what looks like off-white crush vinyl (which I thought wasn't used until the 70s). Does anyone know if this would have been correct?

And, as a side question - does anyone have some spare off-white crush vinyl they would like to get rid of?

Thanks!
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

Harry is this the same crush vinyl that was used on the rear tacks?

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

Yes, although originally, it appears as though those buttons/tacks are some sort of faux vinyl (that looks like vinyl crush) - but same look, yes!

I forgot to ask someone who has an all original! Is your pillar wrapped in the same material?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

The sides of the headliner were crush vinyl with the amount of perforation printed on it, not perforated nor clean crush. Only the center was perforated.

Always aircooled

VeeDee
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

VeeDee wrote:
The sides of the headliner were crush vinyl with the amount of perforation printed on it, not perforated nor clean crush. Only the center was perforated.

I don't see perforation marks on the vinyl crush material around the rear pillar. Do you believe it wore off, or is is the below not the material you expected?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

That same solid type what you call "crush" vinyl material was used for quite a few years to wrap the side facing wood..

Karmann.. is well known to use the scrap up .. just as much as frugal VW

Most likely correct....don't over think it.. Laughing

I know I've found both perforated and not perforated solid on 65 through 67..

IMO go with what you think looks best.. no set rules on some Karmann built Vw items.. .. no two are alike.
Not exactly cookie cutters. Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:

I don't see perforation marks on the vinyl crush material around the rear pillar. Do you believe it wore off, or is is the below not the material you expected?

This is the same material used on the B pillars of '67 sedans. It is different from the headliner material. It is not the same texture of the headliner vinyl, which is more smooth, whether it's the perforated style or faux perforated style. It would not have faux perforation marks.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

That textured, non-perforated material was also used on Karmann Ghias. Here, it's on the header bow.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Herrbern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
harrymarlin wrote:

This is the same material used on the B pillars of '67 sedans. It is different from the headliner material. It is not the same texture of the headliner vinyl, which is more smooth, whether it's the perforated style or faux perforated style. It would not have faux perforation marks.

Same material as yours on my 67 convertible.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Most likely correct....don't over think it.. Laughing

Ha ha ha... I'm probably well past that state... Wink

I'll order some crush material to wrap around the pillar.

Thanks, VOLKSWAGNUT!
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

Yep! The wooden pillars on my early 1967 (Aug. '66 production) convertible also originally had this so called "crush material" as a wrapping -- factory stapled onto the pillars. They were soiled, tattered and yellowed with age and replaced with perf headliner material when the top was redone back in 1999. I used the original pieces as a template to cut from leftover scrap headliner material, as these pieces were not included in the top kit at that time. The pillars are fairly well covered up by the headliner and are not much noticeable under there.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
NavyGeneral Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

Perhaps of general interest: From very detailed procedures on fitting out and installing a top assembly (Workshop Manual VW 1200 1965 supplemented as necessary through January 1967) much mention is made of following materials. PVC, strips of leatherette, Nettle cloth (interesting history nettle cloth), linen sheet, rubberized hair padding, foam rubber, sealing rubber, and probably more that I missed.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

NavyGeneral wrote:
PVC, strips of leatherette, Nettle cloth (interesting history nettle cloth), linen sheet, rubberized hair padding, foam rubber, sealing rubber, and probably more that I missed.

Interesting, although I'll have to research what each one of those might mean for my 1967. Now you have me interested in what "Nettle cloth" is.

Thanks, NavyGeneral - your detailed, cited, information is always amazing (were you a researcher in a former life? You always are able to cite your information!).
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Yes, although originally, it appears as though those buttons/tacks are some sort of faux vinyl (that looks like vinyl crush) - but same look, yes!

I forgot to ask someone who has an all original! Is your pillar wrapped in the same material?

The original question has already been answered but I can confirm mine is the same as well.

Can't wait to see the assembly pictures Smile

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

I have a complete and genuine 67 Convertible roof in my workshop.
Tomorrow I can clean and take some pics of the headliner.
VeeDee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible: Two different headliners? Reply with quote

Well, as promised...

I took a look on my 66 (sorry, 67 I wrote) headliner, everything was made of crush white vinyl, the middle, the sides , the covers for the woods...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: