Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

I'm the new owner of a '93 Eurovan, 2.5L, Manual Trans. It has 95,000 original miles.

After 20 Minutes of driving, the temperature light comes on, blinking. So far, it only quits when I turn the ignition off. The actual temperature gauge reads cool, needle is in the lower half of the gauge. It has enough coolant.

Has anyone experienced this? I've read a few posts but none with the exact same symptoms.

Please advise.

Jared
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

That blinking light is related to the sensor in the coolant bottle. If you've got enough coolant in the bottle, your sensor needs replacing.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Thank you for that. Do you think it would be safe to drive 125 miles to pick up a sensor?
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Unplug the sensor and stick a paper clip in the harness. If the light doesn’t go out then it’s somewhere else. Mine ended up being the solder convection on the cluster.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Jared Boyd wrote:
Thank you for that. Do you think it would be safe to drive 125 miles to pick up a sensor?

Safe with highly enhanced situational awareness.

The danger is you have a hose failure or the like, lose coolant, overheat, and cook your engine.

One trick is to run the heater and pay attention to any change in output heat - thats a warning that coolant has gone.

I would make that trip , but I am a risk taker and also know the state of all my cooling group components on every car I own.
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll take the truck and sort things out when I return. Per the other fellas suggestion, I did disconnect the sensor and used a paper clip to see if I couldn't get the light to turn off. I placed each end of the clip on the contacts while watching the light, still blinking.

I'll look into the connections further down the line next.

Thanks for the responses, people!
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

I emailed this to you Jared but to benefit others down the road, I've found this link helpful when it isn't the sensor in the coolant bottle.

http://www.1946vw.co.uk/vwbooks/vw_info/t4_gauges.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

So, if the temperature gauge is holding steady after an hour of driving around town (under 35mph) and idling, am I still at risk to try and drive a few hundred miles? I have no interest in cooking my engine and have another vehicle, but naturally, I want to take her out of town. It is what I purchased it for after all.

And If I sound like I want someone to tell me to "go for it," I'm not. I'm just trying to un-rationalize my thinking if I should.

Soon I'll check the solder joints.

?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Jared

Get an OBD tool and see if you can monitor the coolant temperature on a smart phone. If the sensor is good and the display is acting up, the ECU may have the right temperature you can monitor.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

1993 no OBD2
Most likely safe. But if you have another vehicle why
take a slight risk
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Ok. I've got the instrument board out and on my work bench. I can't see cracks in the solder with the magnifying tools I have but Im going to assume they are there and re-solder anyway. BUT! I was instructed to remove the little voltage regulator below these six solder points and it isn't moving! I can see it will break off completely if it wasn't intended to be removed. Does this infact get removed? Can I just solder with it in place or will the heat do damage?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

In my experience, the voltage regulator has always been in a socket. That looks like someone has been there already and modified it.

Possibly they thought the socket was the problem and soldered it directly? I would be concerned that the heat of the solder would kill the regulator. A new socket and regulator may be in order here. Obviously, I don't know from here but that is my guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Yea, I noticed a difference when looking at other pictures too. Hummm.

You feeling better?

Jared
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

With the low wattage iron you have I would just solder it. After it flows hit it with the top of a small screwdriver to sink the heat away quickly
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Here is another view of the Regulator:

Also, I just talked to a VW Mechanic at VW and he said something about a sensor in the head that may be bad???? Thoughts?

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Jared Boyd wrote:
Here is another view of the Regulator:

Also, I just talked to a VW Mechanic at VW and he said something about a sensor in the head that may be bad???? Thoughts?

Sorry about the idiot suggestion on OBD reader FAIL!

Yes, thats a charlie foxtrot solder job

Can you plug the board in and see what the pinout voltages are to see if its clamping the voltage correctly?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

I had an OBD-1 adaptor cable for the '95 that plugged into the OBD-2 code reader.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Ok.

Off the voltage regulator I get:

5v on leads 1 and 3

No response on leads 1 and 2

And 2 or 3v between 2 and 3

Please advise.

Jared
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

I think it’s supposed to a 10V regulator.

One pin should have B+

Middle pin is ground

Other pin is 10 V regulated

Google the itt tca700y part to get the data sheet
Jared Boyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Eurovan Blinking Temperature Light Reply with quote

Ok...again

I put it all back together and went for the longest drive yet, to a 11,000ft pass 7 miles from town. The light never came back on until I returned home or, close to..When the light came back on, the temperature gauge went to zero suddenly. I was 1 mile from parking at that point. I wondered if it were a loose connection and tapped on the dash, instrument pane. The temperature gauge came back to life but the light kept flashing. HUmmm.

Once I returned home and almost turned it off, I let it idle for a minute and it pulsed as if it were getting intermittent gas or passage thought the fuel filter. It kind of pulsed between 500 and 1500 RPM. I turned it off and went inside for e drink. Smile

Coolant level is still Normal.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: