Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 sliding door mechanism
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

I see lots of videos with people opening and closing their sliding door. So I am learning about the handle and the inside lock switch. But I have all the mechanism off of the door as I am cleaning them all. I am trying to figure out what it all does. At 1st I thought my from latch was not working but I think everything moves now. Would just like to simulate operation and see what does what.

Is there a video somewhere that explains what each lever and rod does? Even a page out of the owners manual might be enlightening. Is the manual on here anywhere?

Thanks,
Clark
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

Owners manuals: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

Some of that stuff only works when it's installed and it's buddy is telling it what it's up to, it's to prevent one latch locking while the other is open.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Owners manuals:

Some of that stuff only works when it's installed and it's buddy is telling it what it's up to, it's to prevent one latch locking while the other is open.

I am beginning to understand that. But I am able to pull on one lever and push on another to simulate.

I realized a smart design. If the door only partially latches, when you pull UP on the outer handle the upper lever pushes down on the REAR hook and fully closes the door. very smart.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

I've never tried hard enough to find the combination that works on the bench, they don't seem to do everything loose, but work fine once installed with both rods (or rod and cable) adjusted. Why waste time screwing around on the bench, clean it out, lube it up and throw it in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

And then there is the not so smart.... If you lock the door with a key from the outside, you can't unlock the door from the inside and visa versa. That is crazy.

I did see a video today with a separate key hole for the sliding door. I guess that is a 73+ feature and a good fix.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Why waste time screwing around on the bench

because it was obvious that it was not working properly. If I get it working, and learn how it works, that is one less thing I have to replace if it is broken.

Small victories here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 sliding door mechanism Reply with quote

The early system works fine, but you have to be smart enough to use it. The 74+ system caved in to North American dummies and added a single lock and pull to open from the inside feature as well, the downside is you have to slam the sh*t out of it to get it fully latched, no sucking the back in by turning the handle on those.

I rarely use the outer lock in the handle, most of the time I reach over and lock the inner if I have to go to the store.
It is what it is, if it bugs you the later door fits the hole on your bus, you could upgrade, but you'll need the whole door.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: