Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

Hello. I am looking for alignment and factory geometry specifications for a 1965 Beetle. Specifications that a frame shop would have to compare against. (ie. Geometry and measurements for the chassis, to make sure that everything is straight).

Background: My beetle needs a Canadian salvage inspection. The inspection should be straightforward to pass as the body is straight, but the mechanic’s database does not include factory specs for a 1965 beetle.

Last edited by jed166 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

Are you looking for just wheel alignment data? Or chassis measurements to evaluate frame damage?
jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Are you looking for just wheel alignment data? Or chassis measurements to evaluate frame damage?

Hello. I am looking for chassis measurements to evaluate frame damage. So far I have checked with Mitchell automotive, and have inquiries ongoing with Chief and ALLData. Mitchell has said they do not have anything for beetles older than 75.
jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

Update: Chief does not carry the '65 Beetle in their database.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

Not sure if this will be helpful or not since it's unclear exactly what measurements you need.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Not sure if this will be helpful or not since it's unclear exactly what measurements you need.

Mukluk

Thanks so much. I'm going to try taking this to the frame shop to see if this is satisfactory.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/davidsigouin/alignment/Untitled8.jpg
jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h58/davidsigouin/alignment/Untitled8.jpg

Thanks 74 Thing.
jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

All,

A Samba user PM'd me a really helpful excerpt from what appears to be a VW Service manual.

Please let me know if you are reading this and need it, as I cannot post it here.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

jed166 wrote:
All,

A Samba user PM'd me a really helpful excerpt from what appears to be a VW Service manual.

Please let me know if you are reading this and need it, as I cannot post it here.

hey, id really appreciate it if you'd PM it to me. im gonna need it when i un-damage my front clip... Very Happy

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

Trying to figure out my pans now and came across this post.
I have WW pans and the drivers side pan is 65 7/8” while my passenger side is 66 1/16”. That’s a huge difference! What’s the dimensions from the two front holes to the first hole in the floor pan?

Nevermind: I did it the old school way and drug the chassis out of the garage and bolted back up to the body. Even with this method there was a lot of tweaking to be done to get all the holes lined up properly.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jed166
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
Trying to figure out my pans now and came across this post.
I have WW pans and the drivers side pan is 65 7/8” while my passenger side is 66 1/16”. That’s a huge difference! What’s the dimensions from the two front holes to the first hole in the floor pan?

Nevermind: I did it the old school way and drug the chassis out of the garage and bolted back up to the body. Even with this method there was a lot of tweaking to be done to get all the holes lined up properly.

Sorry can’t help you there but have you looked through the body repair forum? I’ve found some helpful stuff there before.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking Factory Alignment and Geometry Specs Reply with quote

74 Thing has great data specs. But why are there no specs for the rear of the Beetle?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: