Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Well, we just got back from a 3-week vacation yesterday. Yep, started out with a cruise (Legends of Rock) out of Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Cayman - but we're outside the incubation period so made it past that one. On to Key West, then to New Orleans. We're in our mid 60s, but bug-free so far, looking to stay that way!.

I work from home (part time this year) anyway, so I'm unaffected by the pandemic issue as far as getting additional free time goes. Good year to have semi-retired and stop traveling 100-150K miles per year on flying pathogen platforms.

Everybody stay safe!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

covelo wrote:
Planning a quick natural science and history trip to Death Valley next weekend with my 12yr old middle schooler who is out of school for at least two weeks.

Check out the mines, there are many cool one out there. fash light and dust mask recomended. watch the floors beware of open shafts.

bring a rock chipping hammer, and remember safety glasses or better still face shield are needed for this. Many a cool sample can be found in this area. Sample collection is allowed someplaces outside of the park. BLM land other than active claim sites can be collected from generally. even tailing piles can yield some neat samples.

One mine had a huge steam engine deep inside, date cast in it was about 1904 I think, used to run a lift in the mine. it had to be carried in through tiny passages and assembled in there. I imagine the smoke from it was horrible inside the mine.
if you want a nice full day hike, Panamint City, and abandoned town is nice, lots of bushwacking, but very rewarding views and intersting structures to see, it is car accessable to the trailhead. morning till night round trip, so carry flashlights for the trail incase you get late. You can camp at the trailhead,and tbeir is a small old mine operation at the trailhead

back in the day Panamint City was built cause of silver mines in the canyon below. they even built a smelter there. Because of bandits stealing the silver shipments from Panamint City, the miners got together and cast their silver into 400 lbs ingots for the trip out, this reduced the stealing.

Also get a U.V. geologist flashlight, you'll see even the sand glow under U.V. at night, bright bright orange being the most common glow color.

fancy lights have dual wavelength, you can switch it, and each wavelength can give a different glow, bring out glows you wont see in other wave length. but even a single wave length UV lamp will reveal great wonders. the more powerful, the better I got a single wave length led UV flashlight with 100 leds from Amazon. It worked nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6VBBKL/ref=sspa_dk_d...NrPXRydWU=

Have fun.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

We are holed up in the family cabin- figured it was best to get out of the city and our fairly small apartment. Here we can go hiking outside, away from people, and enjoy the sound of rain falling while feeling the warmth of the fire. I would love to be tackling all sorts of projects, but I am pretty certain the majority of my clients are not going to be able to pay me next month. Parts orders, lumber yard visits and all non essential spending is officially halted.
Some people call him Maurice...
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

i'm outside enjoying the sun while i make my 1991 Westy ready for some fun trips in the summer/fall.

i thought about hitting the state forest next weekend in the tintop to just reset my mind.

BiWerks Design, LLC
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
SCM wrote:
Geeze Dave, the only one mentioning anything political here is you. Why not simply ask, “does anyone have any plans involving vans this month”?

Precedence

Ah, I see.

No camping plans for us as it’s still winter. We were excited to fly to Vancouver in May so my wife could run the Vancouver Half Marathon, which would have been her 100th race ever. But it, and what would have been # 98 today, are both cancelled. So I’m not sure what’s going to happen there.

I need to change my van’s coolant and am under intense pressure from my wife to install the SA grill and headlights. That may happen soon but I also want to make built-in shelves in our pantry so...

As of now the virus is only making my work easier. I’m overseeing an asbestos abatement job at the local university. Having classes cancelled will hopefully cause all the tradesmen and engineers to relax now that the schedule isn’t so tight.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I'm staying home from work and wondering if I'm experiencing first symptoms of a cold or flu. Time will tell.

As for the van, its transmission was put on a truck on Wednesday for a trip to Bend, OR (German Transaxle) for a rebuild. The 10K mile oil change revealed a 2mm x 5mm chunk on the magnet. This is after a slightly larger chunk came out at the 500 mile oil change (the magnet was fairly clean at 1,100 and 1,800 miles). A different rebuilder didn't get it quite right last year.

The van is at the shop so I don't get to work on van projects either so for now it's keeping my social distance and digging in the garden. We relocated young maple tree last weekend and have some Nandina, Mahonia, Hellebores and other plants to plant or relocate.

If all goes well, we'll be ready to head off into the apocalypse with a strong transmission. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's hoping this thread brings news of good activities during this change in routine for many.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I'm staying home from work and wondering if I'm experiencing first symptoms of a cold or flu. Time will tell.

As for the van, its transmission was put on a truck on Wednesday for a trip to Bend, OR (German Transaxle) for a rebuild. The 10K mile oil change revealed a 2mm x 5mm chunk on the magnet. This is after a slightly larger chunk came out at the 500 mile oil change (the magnet was fairly clean at 1,100 and 1,800 miles). A different rebuilder didn't get it quite right last year.

The van is at the shop so I don't get to work on van projects either so for now it's keeping my social distance and digging in the garden. We relocated young maple tree last weekend and have some Nandina, Mahonia, Hellebores and other plants to plant or relocate.

If all goes well, we'll be ready to head off into the apocalypse with a strong transmission. Very Happy

Here's hoping this thread brings news of good activities during this change in routine for many.

boy howdy, that oil is black. do not think I have seen tranny oil be that black before.

Sorry to hear the tranny rebuild was not good. Did you get a refund?

Bug On, in a Van!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

boy howdy, that oil is black. do not think I have seen tranny oil be that black before.

Sorry to hear the tranny rebuild was not good. Did you get a refund?

Bug On, in a Van!

I'll be posting the full story soon, but my shop is taking full responsibility for the rebuild and gladly sent it off to GTA for the work. They had the rebuild done at a Seattle rebuilder last year (not AA) and it was questionable from the start.

As for the oil, it's 10 months/8,200 miles old. One of the concerns with the rebuilder is that he didn't clean the cases (another samba member has spent some time in his shop).

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

We embarked on a rather large remodeling job including turning our huge back deck into a room. Carpenters finished their part last week. Now, it is our turn to finish the inside. Then, we will be doing some long over-due drainage work in back (even though we live on a hill) as well as sidewalk work and landscaping.

Also, I'm waiting on a 4.13 Ring & Pinion to arrive at Weddle's around April 1st. Then I'll embark on a complete rebuild of a DK tranny to replace the one in my 84 Van.

Lastly, we're sort of planning another road trip to Nova Scotia and maybe ferry over to Newfoundland (in a VW this time) most likely beginning the week after Labor Day.

Like Mark Ward stated, relating to his status, my wife and I can be counted among the elderly. And, of all things, I am finally over a bad fall that occurred back in early December. I fell out the back of my truck hitting just above my tailbone and some how broke my right little toe. I was unloading a wood box. My fingers slipped off the edge as I was pulling on it.

Jimf909, although I've rebuilt a few VW tranny's, I don't consider myself a professional. However, I make at effort to do everything as clean as possible. So, before I open a transmission, I pressure wash it on the outside until it is clean. Generally, all that's left is the crud sprayed on by the dealer. Once I have "emptied" the case, carrier and shifter end, all those parts, including the bell housing are pressure washed again, inside and out! And, of course, all the inside pieces are cleaned with solvents, etc. Going back clean makes the job so much easier and no doubt the results are going to be much better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I already telecommute for most of my work, and my wife is now compelled to telecommute as well. We are both in our 40s and work for the big local university.

Both of us telecommuting presents a problem if we are always stepping on each other in the house. We all know how a house can seem small when two or more people are confined to it. It's even harder when the weather is forecast to be bad. For us, this week will be mild--highs in the 70s, lows in the 60s, but it will be cloudy and rainy.

Yesterday I suggested that the Vanagon (a full Westy) could be used as office space as well. My wife's face lit up and she realized that might be a useful space to work with little disturbance from me or the cats (or a place for me to go). It's parked in a nice, quiet, private, shady gravel driveway with trees all around, just a short walk from the house, and within wifi range.

Naturally the van is kept fueled, with full water/propane tanks, and batteries charged. We have a few small trips planned for next week.

I think we'll be fine, and the van is making things easier.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

I removed the entire AC system from the Westy, everything but the condenser on the front and the wiring loom to the front. Everything else is out and ready for Rhino Designs to build the new rear storage cabinet. Took about 10hrs between yesterday and today.

What's a spare AC system worth? Compressor, drier, relays and such, blowers, exchanger....
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

covelo wrote:
Planning a quick natural science and history trip to Death Valley next weekend with my 12yr old middle schooler who is out of school for at least two weeks.

Death Valley is always amazing and this time of year is great for so many of its natural wonders. Enjoy!

Ms. Howesight is taking a couple weeks away from work, but I can't. Sad

If something collapses at work, then I might get a week off and if so, it will be oceanside camping for us, probably near Tofino.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
What's a spare AC system worth? Compressor, drier, relays and such, blowers, exchanger....

When I pulled my Westy AC system out, I sold it (including the headbanger cabinet) for $500 on The Samba. Shipping it was a serious pain!

kourt
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

Also, I'm waiting on a 4.13 Ring & Pinion to arrive at Weddle's around April 1st. Then I'll embark on a complete rebuild of a DK tranny to replace the one in my 84 Van.

That's what I am doing with my time now. Oddly enough I was scheduled for about 2 weeks off work right now. Then this all happened. Strange.

AndyBees wrote:

Lastly, we're sort of planning another road trip to Nova Scotia and maybe ferry over to Newfoundland (in a VW this time) most likely beginning the week after Labor Day.

My stomping grounds! Labour day is a good time. Book the ferry in advance. If you don't get a cabin call them and ask to be put on the waiting list. Good possibility you will get a cabin. Tour companies mass book all the cabins months ahead of time and then cancel the ones they don't need. You can only get put on the waiting list by phone. Taking a night crossing with out the cabin is not a good time.

With my time off I am rebuilding my transmission and doing an engine swap. Unfortunately I am waiting on delivery of parts and an engine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

Yesterday I suggested that the Vanagon (a full Westy) could be used as office space as well. My wife's face lit up and she realized that might be a useful space to work with little disturbance from me or the cats (or a place for me to go).

kourt

Our van is part of the living arrangement at our small, two-person house. It's parked in the drive, plugged in (with a small Pelonis disc heater when it's cold) and serves has a guest house and second office. We have visitors who always ask if they can stay in the van. It's private and fun for folks who like to experience a camper. The high-top means that it's especially comfortable in the cold and rain.

Abscate wrote:

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
covelo wrote:

Check out the mines, there are many cool one out there. fash light and dust mask recomended. watch the floors beware of open shafts.

Have fun.

I did a tour of the lava tubes near Mt. Shasta years ago and they issued two lights per person. Not a bad idea to have a spare, just in case you're doing more than just poking your head in for a peek.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

covelo wrote:

Go see the fighter Jets flying through Rainbow Canyon on the west side of Death Valley. I might have missed your time frame as you posted last week.
https://aviationphotodigest.com/a-visit-to-rainbow-canyon/

Link

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I got lucky. I scored a giant garage so I have taken everything out of my van, already painted the interior and am now working on upgrading my interior wiring and floor:

I applaud your exterior color choice.... Wink Wink

As for what I’m doing, it will be determined by how many appointments we still have that are actually showing up this week and next.
My wife is officially working from home, (they banned all employee business travel and meetings earlier last week)so I can stay late at work and get things done that normally I’d schedule as a Saturday job due to time constraints.

1st on the list is figuring out the transmission issue now that our Vanagon has been towed to my work.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

campism wrote:
...I did a tour of the lava tubes near Mt. Shasta years ago and they issued two lights per person. Not a bad idea to have a spare...

The rule of thumb among cavers (at least back in my day) was for each person to carry three sources of light and not all three the same (i.e. a mix of battery and flame).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
campism wrote:
...I did a tour of the lava tubes near Mt. Shasta years ago and they issued two lights per person. Not a bad idea to have a spare...

The rule of thumb among cavers (at least back in my day) was for each person to carry three sources of light and not all three the same (i.e. a mix of battery and flame).

CAVES! Shocked
Nope! No how, no way!

Back when the Liberty Bell was in the stairway of Independence Hall, we were squished shoulder to shoulder looking at it and touching it, All I wanted was to get out if that claustrophobic space!
There is no way I'm crawling into a random crack in the Earths crust!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: