Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

dr. no wrote:
Once you leave Texas, rust actually starts receding... Congrats on the move to the Land of Entrapment! Once here, you can never leave permanently.
Or, perhaps that is just the paint fading as you watch.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm looking forward to moving there. I need to get my Syncro out of storage in Socal and get it ready.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Thought I had everything fixed by midsummer, only to find the sink pump had crapped out again, so we camped for five days on the Stanislaus NF with a 3 gallon Cooler, that lasts about a day for 4 people, so a lot of refilling. And the fridge appears to have quit working ac and dc, narrowing it’s usefulness to (checks notes) a cabinet.

Ordered a new pump upon return, works great, for now, so loaded up and had a great overnite near French Meadows with just one kid.
dplumtree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

As a theatre technician i was off work for 6 months but have some maintenance time at a local theatre for a month or so. I don't see us going back at it for a while. while i was out of work i :
replaced the belts
replaced some worn out gaskets in the exhaust
replaced the bearings in the sliding door
installed a big shot shifter
installed a propex
went camping
bought BFG AT KO2's waiting to install
bought big brake kit waiting to install
bought new seatbelts waiting to install
bought truck mirrors waiting to install

and finally the van is going in for paint tomorrow.

Wifey has been working the whole time and i qualified for EI so not bad for our situation.
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Once you leave Texas, rust actually starts receding... Congrats on the move to the Land of Entrapment! Once here, you can never leave permanently.
Or, perhaps that is just the paint fading as you watch.

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Bought a Tornado Red. Installing Subaru 3.3 H6. Still need to rebuild the trans. Been there, done that.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
djkeev wrote:
...The March 2020 reality is that your kids have no school to attend for weeks ahead, you might be laid off or able to take some time off from work...What are your plans?

Dave

Well, my job just ended at a major airline. No more free flights Crying or Very sad

Luckily, I was able to find employment out west (I start in a few weeks). So If you see a rusty red tall syncro near the AZ/NM border at some Area 51 looking place, that's me. Wave.

Does anyone want to buy a 120 year old craftsman style hardwood farmhouse on 1/4 acre with a view in CT? It's in a "Gilmore Girls" filming location. I just put in a new Beckett triple pass oil burning furnace. Property value in the area is going up due to city folk bailing out of NYC. I was gonna put a metal roof on it. The copper ones are really cool.

Sounds like "Fort Wegotcha" area Laughing Definitely a no rust zone!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
sanchius wrote:
tjet wrote:

Well, my job just ended at a major airline. No more free flights Crying or Very sad

Luckily, I was able to find employment out west (I start in a few weeks).

Sorry to hear, that's a great benefit.

One upside is that you are now out in the land of non-rusty vans.

We need all the glass half full thinking we can get! Wink

Yeah I'm still working on that...

Last edited by tjet on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
tjet wrote:

We need all the glass half full thinking we can get! Wink
Some people call him Maurice...
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...The March 2020 reality is that your kids have no school to attend for weeks ahead, you might be laid off or able to take some time off from work...What are your plans?

Dave

Luckily, I was able to find employment out west (I start in a few weeks). So If you see a rusty red tall syncro near the AZ/NM border at some Area 51 looking place, that's me. Wave.

Does anyone want to buy a 120 year old craftsman style hardwood farmhouse on 1/4 acre with a view in CT? It's in a "Gilmore Girls" filming location. I just put in a new Beckett triple pass oil burning furnace. Property value in the area is going up due to city folk bailing out of NYC. I was gonna put a metal roof on it. The copper ones are really cool.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Have just finished cancelling my 21 nights through WA, ORE and CA + 5 nights at Orcas Island due to the extended border closure and I am happy to report that Reserve America, Reserve California and WA state parks offered full refunds. I was also able to book 10 nights in Tofino area and have another 14 nights through the Whistler corridor and Sunshine Coast, so while not my first choice for destinations, I am pleased that I have some solid replacement plans. Again, in the big scheme of the things, I/we consider ourselves fortunate. We had contemplated heading north through BC to the Yukon and Alaska, but will save that trip for another year. Trusting/hoping everyone is keeping safe and making the best of the down time.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Ok here we go. Quarantine gives me time to be thorough.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Parts list:
# 6 High Side Inline Discharge Port R-134a 16mm
# 10 (1/2") Inline Splicer w/ R-134a 13mm Suction Port
Universal Receiver Drier #6 Male O-ring Fittings
Universal Drier Bracket
I hope this helps!
kourt

Thanks for the photo!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Two and a half Months off, still have projects to do.
The wife wanted a Yard of Topsoil:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

^^^ Good news to hear! Onward.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Just got a 10-12 day self quarantine due to two coworkers testing positive.

Looks like I’ll be getting work done on the euro bus project when I am not working from home. Cool

And the 14 days since last possible exposure are over. No symptoms for me or my family. Back to ‘normal’ life.

Making good progress on the euro bus since I haven’t been traveling since the Baja trip. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Kicking it on the snake last weekend

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

Ok here we go. Quarantine gives me time to be thorough.

Parts list:
# 6 High Side Inline Discharge Port R-134a 16mm
# 10 (1/2") Inline Splicer w/ R-134a 13mm Suction Port
Universal Receiver Drier #6 Male O-ring Fittings
Universal Drier Bracket

I hope this helps!

kourt
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
joetiger wrote:
campism wrote:
kourt wrote:
Rebuilt the AC hoses today--so now I have the charge ports up front, just inside the passenger side headlight. No more charging in the engine bay.

That's a smart move.

I'm thinking through my in-dash AC project currently (still amassing parts, haven't actually done anything yet.)
Is this a smart move due to convenience? Can you elaborate?
Thanks!

My experience charging the AC in Vanagons has shown that it's annoying to work with the engine lid and tailgate open, which puts hot air in the cabin, and therefore doesn't represent a realistic scenario of cooling. That is especially the case if your AC is in the rear headbanger cabinet like most Westys.
Working near the heat of the engine and the exhaust are really annoying.
With my engine conversion (Bostig) the AC ports I originally built were near the exhaust header/cat. The heat cycling was hard on the charge port valve guts, and I burned my hand a few times installing/removing the AC charge gauge set/hoses.
Lastly, the fewer joints on the #8 high pressure hose (from discharge port on compressor to upper fitting on condenser) the better. I found a high pressure port for the #6 hose (lower condenser fitting to receiver/drier) that works well. My R/D is bolted up front, right next to the condenser. Then I spliced in a low side port on the #10 hose coming from the Small Car evaporator.
The results:
-an enclosed van cabin, with no hot air infiltration from the engine bay or tailgate
-I get to work at the front of the van, not near the engine or exhaust
-I get to work at the front of the van, where I have a box fan blowing on the condenser, which also keeps me cool and comfy.
-I get to work at the front of the van, where the AC controls and throttle (for high idle) are easy to access.
-quick fills of refrigerant are simple--remove the headlight grille to gain access to the low side port.
kourt

Pictures please?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
campism wrote:
kourt wrote:
Rebuilt the AC hoses today--so now I have the charge ports up front, just inside the passenger side headlight. No more charging in the engine bay.

That's a smart move.

I'm thinking through my in-dash AC project currently (still amassing parts, haven't actually done anything yet.)

Is this a smart move due to convenience? Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

My experience charging the AC in Vanagons has shown that it's annoying to work with the engine lid and tailgate open, which puts hot air in the cabin, and therefore doesn't represent a realistic scenario of cooling. That is especially the case if your AC is in the rear headbanger cabinet like most Westys.

Working near the heat of the engine and the exhaust are really annoying.

With my engine conversion (Bostig) the AC ports I originally built were near the exhaust header/cat. The heat cycling was hard on the charge port valve guts, and I burned my hand a few times installing/removing the AC charge gauge set/hoses.

Lastly, the fewer joints on the #8 high pressure hose (from discharge port on compressor to upper fitting on condenser) the better. I found a high pressure port for the #6 hose (lower condenser fitting to receiver/drier) that works well. My R/D is bolted up front, right next to the condenser. Then I spliced in a low side port on the #10 hose coming from the Small Car evaporator.

The results:

-an enclosed van cabin, with no hot air infiltration from the engine bay or tailgate
-I get to work at the front of the van, not near the engine or exhaust
-I get to work at the front of the van, where I have a box fan blowing on the condenser, which also keeps me cool and comfy.
-I get to work at the front of the van, where the AC controls and throttle (for high idle) are easy to access.
-quick fills of refrigerant are simple--remove the headlight grille to gain access to the low side port.

kourt
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Covid-19 Unexpected Time Off / You / A Vanagon Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
b_r_u_t_o_n wrote:
I tour manage bands out on the road and work local venues running sound when I’m home. Well at least that’s what I did until this hit. Looks like the career is on hold for a long while to come, perhaps 2021.

I think I’ll go camp for as long as possible, keep working on my van, and figure out the next steps.

I know it’s going to be a while until I can support live music again but I still can’t wait. Wilco and Sleater- Kinney are scheduled to play at a venue less than 2 miles from my house in August I still daydream that it might happen but I know they’re really, pipe dreams. Best wishes hope it works out for you.
Yeah, we were booked to play a festival on the Island August 1st - but its been cancelled. They did ask to play there in 2021 but this year's pretty tough, musically.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: