Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need paint ideas!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Hi. In the soon future i’m going to paint my 1973 superbug (1303), but not sure yet on the colour. I really like deep dark colours but thes doesn’t always look good with the chrome (yes i’m keeping it). Anyone have some ideas? The car must look sporty and it is going to run Porsche cup 1 wheels. No i’m not goint to paint it the original colour because it is almost tweety yellow, and this paint has been done pretty crappy in the past and doesn’t shine at all.
Thanks in advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Dark blue metallic.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

I knew a great mechanic sadly passed away who sprayed his bug that Subaru blue paint that Colin mcRae rally driver made famous in the mid nineties.
Any good auto paint store will know exactly the paint code for that.
If not run away and go somewhere else.
That colour is rare on bugs and it really works with the wheels you have got.. sweet.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Early Audi TT Nimbus Grey. Elegant and understated. Will look superb when you have matching Fuchs alloys for the rear wheels.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

With those wheels, any shade of Porsche brown would look awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Try here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213366
Mine is zingrau with cup 3 wheels.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Look at a number of other bugs and pick out the best color for you.

Our opinions are worthless. Only yours matters.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Here's my two colors
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

I am partial to Gun Metal Grey but I am running a Factory Black Super. When you do paint do the whole car is a fashion that it appears to be all stock. What I mean is that my Factory Black Super has Black Door Jams plus is Black inside as well... So it is pretty cool, one of the reasons why I picked this one up..

Also, you will noticed the Stock Chrome.. RB

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Look at a number of other bugs and pick out the best color for you.

Our opinions are worthless. Only yours matters.

Tim

^^^^this^^^^

Ones persons favorite color is another’s most hated. I will say you need to find your color on another vehicle that you can view in daylight, preferably sunlight. Then find the manufacturer’s code/name to mix a sample. Looking at paint chips in an auto body supply store under flourescent/led tube lights is a horrible way to pick a color. Also keep in mind some modern colors are what’s called a tri-coat which is multiple stages of multiple colors/pearlescents. Tri-coats are some of the deepest modern paints, but they are also the most difficult to apply, and most expensive with multiple color ingredients. Also, don’t ever scratch your car if you decide on something exotic since it will be difficult to match for a future repair. Talk with the supplier about how you are going to paint the car. Some paints work best in an auto body environment where a paint booth is used that can heat cure the paint, while others work better in a home garage spray that will simply be air drying.
Chadabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: I need paint ideas!! Reply with quote

I found an original color from a late 50's model VW, and did my paint that way. Mignionette green. SHould be on the road in 3-4 weeks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: