Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

For me the ideal setup would be using shore power to fully charge a new Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFe)house battery before starting a trip, during the trip the LiFe house battery would primarily be charged through the alternator. A portable solar panel is only used when the house battery gets critically low.

Has anyone done this?

I am looking at Redarc BCDC in vehicle charger :
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/dual-input-25a-in-vehicle-dc-battery-charger

Do I also need to upgrade the battery isolator and the old Magnetek converter?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

One of the guys in our local VW van club has a couple really expensive lithium batteries in his Vanagon that he says can last up to a week without any external charging source. I would suggest that you use solar any time you are discharging your house battery. I don't think a small solar panel is a great way to replenish a deeply discharged battery.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

Start with a realistic budget of your electrical needs. If your are a long weekend camper, it’s very likely you can easily meet your needs without external chargers or solar
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Start with a realistic budget of your electrical needs. If your are a long weekend camper, it’s very likely you can easily meet your needs without external chargers or solar

We usually use our vans on long weekends and 2 weeks long outings, moving every couple days. I think the longest we ever stopped at one place is about 3 days. The only main power draw is the fridge and LED lights in the van. with a 100ah LiFe battery using to it's full capacity I think it can last about 3 days. I can put out a 100 or 200 W solar panel when I know I am staying a while, otherwise I hope the alternator will do the recharge most of the time. I think I can get by with portable solar. But what I really want is to be able to fully charge up the battery before the trip and efficient alternator recharge while on the go.

The trick is figuring out what to get, and how to wire it properly to a LiFe battery like a Battle Born.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

I installed something very similar to the Redarc you linked to, a Ctek D250SA. I think it is one of the best things I ever did for maintaining my house battery. Not only do you get a correct charge off the alternator, but an MPPT solar charger as well. These units also act as an isolator. All of that is a great addition for maintaining your house battery.

What I had before was a solid state battery combiner and PWM solar charge controller. I honestly feel I killed an AGM battery with this combination by never getting a good charge once drained, but I can't prove it. I have a wkndr so I don't have room for a wet lead acid of any decent size. In an EVC, that would be an option to go for longevity and low cost.

I use a 100W solar panel and the MPPT charge controller has improved the output of my panel by 40%. Now I admit my PWM controller was a super cheap imported model. Also during my trials and errors trying to lengthen the life of my battery I ended up connecting my alternator source through the solar charge controller. That worked pretty well and I was able to get a better charge profile. That was AGM #2. I'm on AGM #3. I think LiFePO4 has gotten to a price point so that it will definitely be my replacement for my AGM since it's already showing signs of weakness and it's only 2 years old.

As an aside, a person with lead acid batteries that is conservative will only deplete their battery to 50%. In other words, in this scenario you would expect 50Ah from a 100Ah battery for best longevity. With LiFePO4 you can safely use all of the rated Ah, ie 100Ah = 100Ah. So, you might want to look at the Gowesty LiFePO4 50Ah battery at $290. That seems like a pretty decent deal.

That's a long way to say, I think you are on the right track. Get the Redarc and LiFePO4 and have the solar input available when you need it. You should have a good setup.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
Abscate wrote:

We usually use our vans on long weekends and 2 weeks long outings, moving every couple days. I think the longest we ever stopped at one place is about 3 days. The only main power draw is the fridge and LED lights in the van. with a 100ah LiFe battery using to it's full capacity I think it can last about 3 days. I can put out a 100 or 200 W solar panel when I know I am staying a while, otherwise I hope the alternator will do the recharge most of the time. I think I can get by with portable solar. But what I really want is to be able to fully charge up the battery before the trip and efficient alternator recharge while on the go.

The trick is figuring out what to get, and how to wire it properly to a LiFe battery like a Battle Born.

You could go much cheaper with a two standard sealed flooded lead acid battery,then buy a third, all matched, and on the week long trip, rotate the third in mid trip. Cost $100. Get good quality terminals to make the swap easy. Rotating them will also keep their life long and not a lot of complexity to your wiring

just like the ISS....

US: we have a defense department N2 pressurized pen that feeds ink under zero gravity

USSR: we use pencil.

KISS
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

orbeamike

Did you ever sort out your problem because I'm thinking of the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

US: we have a defense department N2 pressurized pen that feeds ink under zero gravity

USSR: we use pencil.

KISS

Pencils are actually a problem in space. The graphite dust gets into stuff, and it's conductive.
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone installed Lithium battery without solar panels as primary Reply with quote

The average for a 100ah LifePo4 battery is about 2.5~3 days with an electric fridge + lighting. This is after you have stopped and set up camp since while driving, your battery is constantly recharged. So I would say unless you plan on being stationary for more than two full days (off grid), solar isn't really needed. It all depends on your camping style; if you are a van lifer or spend extensive off grid time, solar is a must.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: