Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tail light vent idea
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

Thought of this idea the other night and mocked it up in CAD. Has anybody seen something like this? Was thinking if could work well to use one side as a cold air intake. I had one of the original lenses sitting in a precarious spot. Of course i bumped it and it broke. Lemme know what you think.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

WHY?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

That's on the SubaThing right?

Why not use the existing side intake?
I ask because, as I understand it, the Thing suffers from low pressure in the back. Could look cool tho.
72 Baja
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

I have no idea if it would work well or not in practice, however I really like the "what if I tried this" mentality. That attitude is serving you well in this project so far. What the heck give it a try, I like it.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

If you were putting in the European rear lights it might be a way to cover the old holes...
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
WHY?

Just an idea.

I understand that vehicles in general have a negative pressure at the back of the car. My worry about doing this would be the dust that would likely be sucked into through the vents.

Also not sure how much of a restriction this would be if I used one side as a cold air intake. My thought though is that the benefit of colder air would outweigh the negative pressure issue.

I think I may try to find a way to do it without modifying the outside of the car. Maybe an upward vented scoop. Similar to the picture but with the opening at the top. It would need a baffle inside to deflect the FOD away from the air filter.

jakokombi wrote:
That's on the SubaThing right?

Why not use the existing side intake?
I ask because, as I understand it, the Thing suffers from low pressure in the back. Could look cool tho.

Thingaru. Yes.

Joe 20 wrote:
If you were putting in the European rear lights it might be a way to cover the old holes...

Been thinking about those too. There are some decent similarly shaped LED tail lights advertised for trailers too.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

How about the opening being to the side, so it appears adjacent to the existing vents? It does seem like it it would be easy to make a box that would simply bolt through the existing tail light holes, especially for someone with superior welding skills (I don't mean me Laughing ).
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
How about the opening being to the side, so it appears adjacent to the existing vents? It does seem like it it would be easy to make a box that would simply bolt through the existing tail light holes, especially for someone with superior welding skills (I don't mean me Laughing ).

Like this? Did some more CAD. Think they would wrap around the side a little more, maybe end at the aft edge of the louvers but slanted fwd like the louvers.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

Cool! I like the wrap around idea. The scoop would visually give a little hint to the sleeper aspect of the car.
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

I ended up going a different route now that I've had a chance to drive it a bit. It's experimental still but a huge improvement over no scoops.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tail light vent idea Reply with quote

There was an aftermarket air scoop like that back in the 80's.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: