Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Hi all,
Subaru 2.5 swap with Subarugears 5 speed. 2WD.

Installed 4 "Three pleat" Rockford boots bought from Chris at T3 along with new 944 joints. Clamped them 3/4 inch closer to the joint due to their short length. Took off on a trip. At the 800 mile mark all 4 were torn at the boot flange (large end).

I wanted to purchase the Rockford 4 pleat boots from Chris at T3 but he has informed me that he is seeing those fail at the small end of the boot.

Does anyone have experience with Rockford 4 pleat CV boots? Part number 339-22 or 339-4. How many miles on them? any tears, failures, issues.
Did a search but found very little info on mileage. i did notice 2 people saying their 3 pleat boots failed but they don't mention mileage.

Thanks for all input,
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

a57oval wrote:
Hi all,
Subaru 2.5 swap with Subarugears 5 speed. 2WD.

Installed 4 "Three pleat" Rockford boots bought from Chris at T3 along with new 944 joints. Clamped them 3/4 inch closer to the joint due to their short length. Took off on a trip. At the 800 mile mark all 4 were torn at the boot flange (large end).

I wanted to purchase the Rockford 4 pleat boots from Chris at T3 but he has informed me that he is seeing those fail at the small end of the boot.

Does anyone have experience with Rockford 4 pleat CV boots? Part number 339-22 or 339-4. How many miles on them? any tears, failures, issues.
Did a search but found very little info on mileage. i did notice 2 people saying their 3 pleat boots failed but they don't mention mileage.

Thanks for all input,
Peter

3 pleat, 4 pleat, I have nothing to say, I pleat the 5th Wink

More pleats would possibly imply more flexibility if all other factors the same. If I was you, but I am not, I be calling Rockford and ask them.

Bug On, in a Van

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

I go through Rockford boots about every 6,000 or less. I have tried to clamp, or no clamp but they still tear. My van sits at 19 1/2 inches from center hub to fender lip so kinda normal theses day's for a Syncro. I will say I have had better luck with the cheeper China made boots, they just seem a little softer and flexible than the beefy Rockford boots.

Just my two cents.
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
ScubaVW : I noticed that when I installed the 3 pleat boots they were very stiff.
The cheap Chinese boots (Beck/Arnely) are far more pliable and lasted a whole 15,000 miles before tearing at the small ends. Rolling Eyes

I have ordered the 4 pleat version that Rockford says is for my application. We shall see.

Has anyone tried, dare i say it, this EMPI boot?

https://www.amazon.com/Empi-86-9303D-CV-Boot-Kit/dp/B000IY86G8

There have been a few people that say it actually works but would like more input.
Getting really tired of doing boot swaps and cleaning joints.
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

a57oval wrote:
Getting really tired of doing boot swaps and cleaning joints.

This 👆🏼👆🏼

My last two changes I went 13,400 miles on the Rockfords then switched to Lobro and got 10,800 miles out of them. Two weekends ago I switched back to the Rockfords.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Clamps required Zip ties will ride up on the joint. These were like 1-3k old

I'd recommend 4 pleat because that is 'enough' boot to grab the ridges on the axle - so you can clamp the boot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Shagginwagon83 ;
That is exactly how my 3 pleat Rockford's failed. Only my failed in 800 miles. They were clamped with the Oetiker clamps in a similar position to yours.
Do you have the 4 pleat version installed? How many miles? No issues I hope. I ordered the 4 pleat version from VanCafe but because of my stellar 100% failure rate with CV boots, I am concerned.
Peter

Last edited by a57oval on Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Bsrad: Which Rockford's did you switch out at 13,400 miles? Why did you switch them? Why did you go back to Rockford's Which ones did you go back to?
I too have used Lobro's. Fail!
Peter
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Call Burley, he can get you the ones that work for me on my 930's.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Here's pic of one Rockford boot 339-4 at about 25,000 mi.
This is at the transaxle end, and "weight-on-wheels", Syncro 19.5" high.
Curious rubbing at the big pleat....
Squeezing the boot, it does not feel inflated or full.

That can't feel so good walking around like that, but it kinda looks like its self-lubricating. Shocked

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Scubavw wrote:
I go through Rockford boots about every 6,000 or less. I have tried to clamp, or no clamp but they still tear. My van sits at 19 1/2 inches from center hub to fender lip so kinda normal theses day's for a Syncro. I will say I have had better luck with the cheeper China made boots, they just seem a little softer and flexible than the beefy Rockford boots.

Just my two cents.

I agree with this, that Rockford boots are too stiff. Here are the front outer boots (not sure if they are rockford) that were on the Lobro axles I installed about 15k ago. Lots of cracking. I ordered Rockford because the European option was not available. But the rockfords seem way to stiff., just from moving them around with my hands pre install. A more flexible boot with more ribs would be much better. The CV boots on my 2005 jetta have many more, smaller ribs on them. Guess we will see how the rockfords hold up, I will post follow up of any quality issues. My van also sits high so extra bend in the boots.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Has anyone tried "treating" their boots with something like 303 regularly?
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

Is that a conditioner?
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:

I recall reading something about that not too long ago somewhere in these forums. I don't recall were the discussion went on it, but I plan to do that with my boots shortly. Judging by the fact most boots die a quick death, there's nothing to lose. Worst case scenario, they still crack in short order. Best case, I'll get some extra miles out of them.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
Is that a conditioner?

Yes. 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's great for vinyl dashes, door panels, leather seats etc. I use it on all of my cars. It's not cheap, but it's a million times better than Armor All.
It's also not common to find, but Bass Pro / Cabella's has it in the boat maintenance section if you have one close by.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

I think one thing to try is a boot for the boot.

I just ordered some motorcycle tire tubes from Amazon. Unfortunately they will not arrive until the end of the month.

I've got two thoughts on this. I can cut the tube into sections and slip them over the CV Boots or I can slip them down onto the axle and wrap them around the axle to have them secured to use as an emergency boot for when the CV Boot fails.
Of course, I could do both options. I think using them as an emergency boot is the greatest value.

Here's the links to the Amazon pages:
for the 108mm CV Joint, the Syncro 16 rear CV's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y7LMFZZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the 98mm Syncro 16 CV's:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQ15NA2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

I just ordered some GKN/Lobro I found onlineto compare to the rockfords. They were only $12 so just ordered them. Going to do side by side comparison of Lobro and Rockford, and probably install one on each side of van to analysis.

Theres a vendor in town that carries a lot of EMPI stuff, sold me a rear syncro axle year ago. Its been the most dependable and durable axle and boots I think I've had. Going to take one of these front outer boots in there and see if they have an EMPI model that would work.

These axle issues are the most annoying unnecessary maintenance items on the vanagon in my opinion. Especially a lifted syncro. I just replaced the OEM boots on my 2005 jetta that has 150k on it. My 2008 subaru need replacement at 120k. We are not even getting close to that from what i have observed.

Also think the cause of a high percentage of CV fails are due to torn boot that causes contamination, not necessarily the joint failing itself. We'll see, just hoping to get more miles out of the round of replacements.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:

When my new axle broke a cv joint I put the old axle back in with 303 on the boots. After rebuilding the new axle and putting it back in, the old axle boots looked nearly new. They looked great. I think doing it every 6 months would really help them.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

In whitewater and sea kayaking (cold water), those who wear a drysuit have heavy gauge rubber gaskets on wrists and neck, these items wear extremely quickly (1 year usually) with regular use. Treating them with 303 keeps the gaskets supple and makes them last A LOT longer; hence my thought process with treating the boots.

Worth a shot it seems. I can't see any negative effect to 303 on the rubber.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rockford 3 pleat vs. Rockford 4 pleat. CV boots. Reply with quote

What about Alika's silicone boots? Is he still making them?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: