Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Drag Racing Trivia
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

What famous VW drag car did these come from?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tucson vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

I believe it's Audrey Campbell's Stutt Bee
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

Nailed it. Cool

Tails came off the Stutt Bee, campaigned by Audley Campbell who owned Stuttgart, a VW repair shop in Chatsworth.

The car was first painted gold metalflake with the black fogging. Later the top was chopped and top half painted black, fenders trimmed for better aero, steel hood removed for fiberglass and these tails tossed to the side.

I grabbed them while a machinist I knew was sadly parting out the car. Removed from the car before being replaced with something much lighter. Many racers simply mounted the ‘62 -‘67 lens by itself directly on the fender.

It was pretty rough, the thick layer of bondo on the chopped roof looking like a dry lake bed. Lots of hacking to lighten up the car, I ended up with the original steel hood as well.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

I would say Inch Pincher Bronx NY Richard Guarino was my teach back in 1969 He took me from MGA Roadsters to My 1969 .

Rarely mentioned Inch Pincher on the East Coast IMPI .

https://s451.photobucket.com/user/nextgenusa/media/MAP00111_zps0b7b8e60.jpg.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249334
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

Steel hood from the Stutt Bee.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

Stuttgart Germany ,
'House of Three Colors" Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

I also have what I’m pretty sure is the original long gently-tapered stinger from the earliest version of the Stutt Bee. Acquired at the same time as the hood and taillights. Even picked up a couple of sets of original EMPI 48IDA intake manifolds with broken mounting ears that I sold many years ago, all of these parts were leftovers from the car as it transitioned into later updated versions.

Clean light grey deposits from running race fuel with a little bit of rust from sitting unused for decades.

BushwhackDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

Hi b-man -Do you still have those rear fenders on the Stutt Bee? They are Intac Inc's fenders sold at the "Bug House" in Studio City-my dad's shop. Those are the same fenders on the original "ThunderBug" -his VW showcar. Just wishing I could find some of his stuff-Thanks, Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

I don’t have anything other than what’s pictured here. Good luck in your search for those fenders.
NatedoggAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

Reviving a post from last year...

My dad bought a house in the mountains of California quite a few years back from Autley Campbell...

With the house came a 1967 chopped bug chassis turned into a dune buggy.

Also included was an engine.. built by Autley and his team...

I don't think Autley is alive any longer... he moved to Palm Springs years ago to retire... Hope to get these up and running soon to continue the legacy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NatedoggAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Drag Racing Trivia Reply with quote

Along with some manuals and VW books.. I was also able to salvage this magazine from 1973.. with the Stutt-Bee on the cover....

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: