Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spade type Fuse holder
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Due to the kind of driving I expect to do in my Fastback (once it is finished), I wanted to change the bullet type fuseholder over to a spade type unit. Once I started looking at the original unit, I realise how clever the VW design was. With the fuses on one side (on the lower side as mounted), and all the wiring on the other (upper) side. This design enable the fuses to be accessible from below, while keeping all the wiring out of the way on the top.
All the small spade type fuses boxes that are readily available are designed for mounting on a base, with both the fuses and the wiring on the same side. This won't work on the VW - I tried mounting the new box on the firewall but it is both untidy and in the way. Finally, after about 2 weeks of sleeping on the problem (I do my best thinking while asleep !!), I came up with a design that allows the spade type box to be mounted halfway through a hole in a (self made) base plate, which then makes the fuses accessible from one side, while all the wiring stays on the other side. This can then be mounted in the same position as the original unit, but uses the more modern fuses, and I can use resettable ones if required for ease. See the photos - the box without the lid is a temporary unit - The one with the 3 fuses in is the one I will use.
The other issue was the way VW have multiple wires coming into some blade terminals, and being distributed to several different fuses. Since modern off-the-shelf units don't allow for this, it took a while (a few sleeps !) until I realised I could just split multiple wires onto 2 or 3 separate spades where necessary. Works like a charm.
Quite please with my efforts ! Car is almost ready to go to the paint shop next week, then I just have to put it all back together !!
G
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

That's pretty awesome! I was planning on converting mine to blade style as well as I'm swapping a subaru EJ into mine. What brand of fuse blocks did you use on yours?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Due to the kind of driving I expect to do in my Fastback (once it is finished), I wanted to change the bullet type fuseholder over to a spade type unit. See the photos - the box without the lid is a temporary unit - The one with the 3 fuses in is the one I will use.
The other issue was the way VW have multiple wires coming into some blade terminals, and being distributed to several different fuses. Since modern off-the-shelf units don't allow for this, it took a while (a few sleeps !) until I realised I could just split multiple wires onto 2 or 3 separate spades where necessary. Works like a charm.
Quite please with my efforts ! Car is almost ready to go to the paint shop next week, then I just have to put it all back together !!
G

Keep in mind how VW bridged power in some of those circuits on the fuse box. The 3 bridged together for example, are switched power (key on), while those on the right are for front/rear tail lights. The middle right (in the photo) is for head lights). Things like this are important to keep, as they allow you to still use the Owners manual to keep track of which circuit is which.
That said, I've driven my 65 Notch all over the USA, and never really had an issue with fuses, except blowing the cigar lighter fuse. (I had undersized it by mistake).

We did something like that in my son's car, but moved the entire fuse box into the front trunk. It was something he wanted to do. What he didn't realize was that I had to bring a harness into the car for things like the head light switch, wipers switch, ignition switch, tach, oil pressure gauge, and things like that. I had almost as much wiring under the dash as would normally be under there. Wasn't really worth the effort to me, but it's not my car.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Just a commercial brand from an auto shop, Absoluteyeti. Having said that, notice the two that are different in my photo, especially when you look at the back of them. One has a solid back, whereas the other is open. The open one is the first I found, and I didn't like their "exposed" back in case of water leaking in (in a Type 3 that would never happen, of course !!). The open one is also "floppy" and cheap - the fuse holders are clipped in place but have some movement. Just not happy with them. I then found the "closed" ones, actually in a camping /boating/4WD store, and they are way more robust. Still quite cheap. No make name on them ! But since you are on the other side of the world from me, source and make would probably not help ! But I do recommend ship chandlers for lots of lovely (and quality) stuff - electrics, folding copholders, rust preventatives (boats need this !!) and lots of intriguing stainless brackets and bolts that I am always looking for a way to use just because so they so "nice" !!

Yes, Bobnotch, I am aware of the bridged power system they used - But a point well made, never the less. I was very close to reverting to the original panel - It took me several sleeps before I (non electrical as well as non mechanical) came up with the solution of dividing and joinng (and soldering) wires to enable them to cover multiple individual blades.
In reference to your second point about which bridged fuses go to which item, it answers a major question I had in my mind. I mentioned elsewhere that my April 1970 Australian built (or maybe imported fully from Germany ?) car has certain anomalies - One being that I can't find a wiring loom that agrees with the wiring in my car, so I have to use 2 different diagrams and interpolate as best I can. I have a 12 fuse holder, and in the diagram I have for a 12 fuse unit (the one from the Tech files on here titled "VW Type 3 - From August 1967 (1968 through 1970 Models)) the wire order on the fuse box is totally different from those in my car - Which may possibly explain why when I got the (non running) car, the wiring was in a mess and 4 or 5 of the fuses were blown !! I am rewiring my fuses up as they came (just as a starting poiint), but am slowly working through the internet and my brain to possibly re configure the fuse box to agree with the diagram. Either way, when I finally get to the point of testing it all, I will put NO fuses in my fuse box, will attach a battery, and insert fuses one by one in order to see what happens !!
Right now I am too busy to think about the wiring because I am trying to get the car ready to send to the paint and body work shop this week, before they shut down due to the virus !! All removable doors and panels are off the car, primed on the outside, rust proofed on the inside, while the only unprepared section of the shell is the LH A piller which has a bit of rust that needs to be cut out and rewelded before painting. Otherwise an almost rust free car - If you saw the underneath of the floor you would gasp - I plan to give it a coat of rust inhibitor paint (like POR15), but it almost doesn't need it - It is almost pristine !! It is almost a shame to disturb it !!
I will put some photos up of my car in a minute. (I can't see why I can't hijack my own thread !! Laughing
G
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Here are some pics of Clementine. To get to this stage from a non runner has been 5 months of 7 days a week work on the car. Paint next week ? Roof liner in straight afterwards, put everything back together, then engine and gearbox back in (they are already finished).
This week saw seat drama. 6 months ago had ordered 1970 fastback seat covers through Australian supplier, but sourced from TMI. (Cheaper as local supplier sends parts in in bulk, by sea). This week, with the ship still one month away, found out they were high back seat. I mentioned that my Aussie car seems to be an anomaly in many ways - Its a 1970, but has low back seat as standard ! so this week finally worked out what my seats are by talking to TMI, and have some coming airfreight. Freight is more than the product, and then the Aussie $ is at an all time low Shocked
Also got carb drama this week. My 32-34 PDSIT 2/3 carbs are quite worn, and it seems parts for these particular carbs are like hens teeth ! May have to get some of the required parts hand made Sad
Isn't life fun ? Laughing
G

Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

I don`t know what type of driving you plan on doing, but the stock fuses will work fine for any car.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Looks like you're making great progress. Your Clementine is the RHD version of my wife's 70 Clementine Orange 70 Fastback. Although hers has LHD and high back seats, along with FI. Wink I redid that car back in the early 90's, when there was no internet, and you catalog shopped unless you lived in SoCal. Here's a pic from 2000 of it.

64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:

Last edited by Bobnotch on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
I don`t know what type of driving you plan on doing, but the stock fuses will work fine for any car.

That was my thought as well. But I think he plans to drive the AlCan highway, which is pretty rough (like running the Baja 500).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

That was my thought as well. But I think he plans to drive the AlCan highway, which is pretty rough (like running the Baja 500).

Alcan ???? Pffftttt. That is for pussies motorhomes. Very Happy Beautiful road, and lots of wonderful wildlife, but not difficult or rough. (have driven most of it twice, some 3 times). Have even done the whole of Baja, including Mike's Sky Ranch, all the way to the bottom at Los Cabos (although I preferred sleepy Todos Santos, before heading across to Mexico and then on down through Central and S America to Tierra del Fuego)
I am talking about going up the Dalton Highway, aka The Haul Road / Ice Truckers Hwy, through Coldfoot, over the stunning Atigun Pass, all the way up to Prudhoe. After that (or maybe before, depending on weather at the time) I will swing back down to Dawson, across the Top of the World Highway (thru Chicken), and then up the Dempster Highway. Last time I did the Dempster in 2015, there was only road for us as far as Inukvik, but now you can get all the way up to the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk, so I really want to get up there too.

And before you tell me I'm crazy, I already know that ! I have already done the Dalton and Top of the World twice, (once in a Lotus with no spare wheel !), so I know how bad it can be. But THAT is the challenge. I like to use my cars, and there aren't many places left on this earth which are REAL challenges for us. I live in the wrong century - I envy the early pioneers in Australia who explored this vast land on horseback and on foot. I am so jealous of the early American explorers who struck out west in chuck wagons, not knowing whether they would make it. I have a few roads left in Australia I want to do - The Gun Barrel Highwy across Central Australia for one. In some of these places, if you make a mistake, you can die. Drive in a new 4WD that will make the journey easy ? Why ? I want a challenge. Life is too easy everywhere we look. Last thing I need is to have little bullet shaped fuses dropping out or fusing on 1500 km dirt roads. You can't buy bullet fuses in Coldfoot - But you can buy spade fuses - Everyone has them ! That is my reason for fitting them. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I realise how clever the original VW design was - In 1970 (or maybe earlier ?). I go places where there are no parts shops like O'Reilly's, where there are no breakdown services like AAA, nor any mechanics easily available. I am totally reliant on my car and me, so I have to be confidant in it.
And if you think the fuse box is all I am doing, wrong ! Beefed up engine hanger mounts (only two spot welds on the original mount in mine !!) and suspension points, bigger fuel tank etc are just the beginning of the work. Possibly even a half rollcage if I decide to do the Alaska rally while I am there in 2022. Lots to do, so little time !!
A 1956 Beetle from Vancouver Island did the Peking to Paris across the Gobi Desert with us (in our Austin Healey) last year, and they made it !
G

Last edited by Qldelsie on Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Spade type Fuse holder Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Looks like you're making great progress. Your Clementine is the RHD version of my wife's 70 Clementine Orange 70 Fastback. Although hers has LHD and high back seats, along with FI. Wink I redid that car back in the early 90's, when there was no internet, and you catalog shopped unless you lived in SoCal. Here's a pic from 2000 of it.

Beautiful.! One day soon I hope Clementine will look half as nice Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: