Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No more oil leaks!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

I pulled the engine and replaced the main seal, the oil cooler seals, the flywheel seal and I replaced the old and warped sump plate with a new one. In 35 years of VW ownership this is the first time I have ever had a bug that doesn't leak a single drop of oil! I didn't know this was possible !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
I pulled the engine and replaced the main seal, the oil cooler seals, the flywheel seal and I replaced the old and warped sump plate with a new one. In 35 years of VW ownership this is the first time I have ever had a bug that doesn't leak a single drop of oil! I didn't know this was possible !

Now you've jinxed yourself !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

You sure it didn't run out of oil Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Give it a week or two. It will find a new way to leak oil. They all do and that is part of the charm Very Happy

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Old Vw's don't just leak oil.
They mark their spot! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

I just did the same and no oil leak. But I do have a trans drip.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Good job!

I did the same last fall and was leak free for about a month....until at least one push rod tube seal started to leak Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Wait until you start it up. That should get it flowing.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

I will join in Give It Time.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

D'oh! -
This was too good to be true... a few drops leaking again. I think it may be the oil pump.

1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

deleted.

Last edited by lboos on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
D'oh! -
This was too good to be true... a few drops leaking again. I think it may be the oil pump.

You were warned !!!

Cusser wrote:
Now you've jinxed yourself !

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:
D'oh! -

Might be the oil pump, but I'd lean toward the oil coming from the road draft tube and maybe the crank pulley. How's your blow by?
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

You need the Type 1 oil catch tray, it has an electric pump to return the oil back to the engine.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Wayne S. Johnson wrote:
You need the Type 1 oil catch tray, it has an electric pump to return the oil back to the engine.

No man you need a Toyota they don’t seem to leak much.
AoxoMoxoA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

Note to self...
NEVER proclaim my engine to be leak free!
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: No more oil leaks! Reply with quote

True words... My task with my 67 Beetle has been to MINIMIZE oil leaks and I've done pretty well so far.

Originally, I wanted to get LEAK FREE, but I had to give up that ghost and transition to where I am now. Very Happy

I have an occasional drop or two from the sump plate but I'm happy enough with that knowing I got to that point NOT putting sealant on the mating parts or gaskets. This is a good thing to ease future oil changes. I simply cleaned everything thoroughly with brake clean, made sure my sump plate was flat (not dimpled) at the holes and carefully mated everything up. A drop or two every now and then, but I consider that JOB DONE!

I also used to have an occasional leak at my valve covers. Please don't hate me, but I got a set of SCAT stainless covers with bails that have the little tabs in them to keep the valve cover gasket in place. Again, being real clean (after adjusting my valves), I used good cork gaskets with a little, tiny bit of gasket sealant on the cover side only. Gasket in place, I located the covers to the clean head and locked the bails on. I can accurately say they don't leak a drop!!! Magic!!

I do also have a drop or two show up from the trans-axle, but It's not enough to worry about. That oil has been changed recently and all is well otherwise.

When I rebuilt the top end last winter, I also carefully sealed the cylinders to the case, I installed each pushrod tube with some sealant on the gaskets and I carefully removed, cleaned and reinstalled the oil pump using new gaskets and just a slight coating of sealant on the cover (so's not to jam up the working parts). Those areas were leakers prior to my rebuild and they're still dry today. Oh, and of course I replaced the oil cooler seals, but they weren't leaking before. Still dry there too.

Overall, based on the work I've done, I've been real happy with my minimally leaky VW. I rarely have to add any oil between changes, and if I do, it's really only to satisfy my obsession with keeping it filled, but not over-filled. I'm now comfortable with allowing it to leave a drop or two after a nice run and I am satisfied with it being slightly less than perfect.

Hey, we all leak a little.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: