Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

The new 1776 is installed, and about 90% ready to run. 2" stainless T manifold fabricated and installed. I have designed a new intake manifold for the new throttle body. A couple more weeks and I should be able to start tuning it. Been searching the planet for a stainless 1.5" Sidewinder exhaust... These things are extinct. Might have to use the Tri-mil euro exhaust until I can find one. Anyone out there with a new or used one, please let me know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

I have found that the AA brand one is actually good quality. Thick flanges, nice welds, and it fits well.

https://aapistons.com/products/aa-sidewinder-exhau...nYQAvD_BwE
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
I have found that the AA brand one is actually good quality. Thick flanges, nice welds, and it fits well.

https://aapistons.com/products/aa-sidewinder-exhau...nYQAvD_BwE

Thanks Evan! Although, out of stock everywhere.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

Another update. Received the intake manifolds, installed. Now to fabricate a throttle cable stop.

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

Looking good! When's the video coming? Twisted Evil

I swear when I sent that link it said in stock but maybe it was a mistake... that's a shame. I wonder if it's the virus or maybe they stopped making them... hopefully it's just a delay. I feel like one must be floating around somewhere.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

Throttle stop fabricated. Works perfectly from 0-100% on Tuner Studio. Although, the WOT needs adjustment. Got a call from AAPistons, the elusive stainless steel Sidewinder exhaust has been purchased and shipped.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Looking good! When's the video coming? Twisted Evil

Here you go Evan. Very Happy

Link

TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

I know very little about AMR superchargers, how fast can you spin them and have them live?

I ask because I'm looking at that ratio you've got, and at a glance the blower looks to be overdriven by about 260% (2" driven pulley, 5-1/4" driving pulley) puts the blower rotors and bearings at 15,560rpm when the 1776 engine is spinning max of 6k rpm.

A buddy of mine overspeeded his blower borrowed from a 3.8 V6 Buick, trying to make 2-3bar (28-42psi)

Not throwing rocks, just asking
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

The pulley is 6.2:1 ratio. Designed and manufactured by Mick Percy from Joeblow Superchargers. I will never rev the engine to 6K rpm. With this setup, I was measuring 6-8psi. Don't think my AMR500 will be blowing up (no pun) any time soon. Thanks for the concern.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

Last piece of the puzzle has been delivered. Although made in china, this is the #1 best fitting exhaust I have EVER put on an aircooled VW. Its a perfect fit. Stainless, so it will not rust out, and surprisingly polished to a mirror finish on the muffler. Very happy with this Sidewinder exhaust. Glad I held out for it... I just about purchased a raw steel one. Just needs an O2 sensor bung, and the engine will be ready to fire.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Last piece of the puzzle has been delivered. Although made in china, this is the #1 best fitting exhaust I have EVER put on an aircooled VW. Its a perfect fit. Stainless, so it will not rust out, and surprisingly polished to a mirror finish on the muffler. Very happy with this Sidewinder exhaust. Glad I held out for it... I just about purchased a raw steel one. Just needs an O2 sensor bung, and the engine will be ready to fire.

I have the A1 ceramic coated on my truck and it's been great. I also have an AA Sidewinder stainless waiting on a shelf. I'm probably going to make an extension to the shorty tail pipe so it comes out of the Bug pea shooter holes. I might also change the muffler connection to V-band. I went with it so I wouldn't feel bad chopping up a brand new exhaust and welding on it, but I agree it's a pretty nice piece for the money.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need Help Tuning Supercharged Engine Reply with quote

Thought I'd give you guys an update. Sorry, haven't been posting here... Created a build thread over at shoptalkforums because I needed help with fuel injection and Tuner Studio. A lot has happened in the last couple days, finally got here running. Tuning the idle at the moment. Its a bit of a learning curve, everything is ran on the ECU and tweeked with software now. Finally have a smooth idle, and will soon be tuning lower RPM stuff getting it ready for the first drive since the EFI conversion.

Here is a picture of the engine currently...

And here she is idling, still need to dial it in a bit (I know, the belt needs tightening)...

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: