Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bank financial assistance due to COVID-19
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Bank financial assistance due to COVID-19 Reply with quote

If anyone is suffering a financial hardship due to this mess and thinking of contacting your bank or lending company for "financial assistance" such as deferring payment for 3 months, be sure to read the fine print- news stories going around of people getting duped into doing this not realizing they are going to be responsible for the entire 3 months worth of payments in one lump sum after the deferral period, so that the banks can add penalties on then when they can't afford to pay.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
If anyone is suffering a financial hardship due to this mess and thinking of contacting your bank or lending company for "financial assistance" such as deferring payment for 3 months, be sure to read the fine print- news stories going around of people getting duped into doing this not realizing they are going to be responsible for the entire 3 months worth of payments in one lump sum after the deferral period, so that the banks can add penalties on then when they can't afford to pay.

I won't post a link because apparently that gets a certain shit poster's panties in a wad.

Banks are a business as well. Their business is to make $$ just like the rest of us.

Lump repayments are not a new thing. It's actually a better route for the borrower to lessen addition interest on the loan/pmt deferral.

Don't blame the bank for offering to front ppl money who have mismanaged their finances to not be able to last 6months to a year without an income stream.
If your credit sucks...They are actually doing you a favor...

If they wanted to "rip" you off they could just let you "reconsolidate all your debt" charge a processing fee up front and extend your debt another 10yr to secretly collect double what they lent you...
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
sb001 wrote:

I won't post a link because apparently that gets a certain shit poster's panties in a wad.

Banks are a business as well. Their business is to make $$ just like the rest of us.

Lump repayments are not a new thing. It's actually a better route for the borrower to lessen addition interest on the loan/pmt deferral.

Don't blame the bank for offering to front ppl money who have mismanaged their finances to not be able to last 6months to a year without an income stream.

If they wanted to "rip" you off they could just let you "reconsolidate all your debt" charge a processing fee up front and extend your debt another 10yr to secretly collect double what they lent you...

Ditto! Sir, where do I send you a drink?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
sb001 wrote:

You most definitely misread my purpose for posting that. I am not being affected by this- I still receive my regular salary pay. My point was the banks are NOT BEING TRANSPARENT about what is going to happen if you accept a financial hardship deferral. Not a single lending institution is bothering to state in their "financial assistance" explanations on their websites or anywhere else that you will owe the complete deferred amount in 3 months. Let me put it another way--just how difficult would it be for them to just straight out say "you will owe these 3 months worth of payments at the end of the 3 month deferral period?" The only reason they don't is to sucker people who need help into falling prey to enormous penalties and credit hits. And how does that help anyone whose work hours were cut anyway? If one no longer has the funds to make the monthly mortgage payment, what makes you think one would have the funds to set aside to pay the 3 months back all at once?
And one followup question- Why does it make you so angry that I pointed out they are not being completely transparent?

1600 SP engine
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Not a single lending institution is bothering to state in their "financial assistance" explanations on their websites or anywhere else that you will owe the complete deferred amount in 3 months.

WOW - you looked at every single bank? come on now...

and yes, when you take out a loan, it is very clear what you owe and when you owe it. Not sure what kind of loan you have taken out that didn't... Hell you can even ask the lender to model different loans and see the actual details on all of them
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
sb001 wrote:

You most definitely misread my purpose for posting that. I am not being affected by this- I still receive my regular salary pay. My point was the banks are NOT BEING TRANSPARENT about what is going to happen if you accept a financial hardship deferral. Not a single lending institution is bothering to state in their "financial assistance" explanations on their websites or anywhere else that you will owe the complete deferred amount in 3 months. Let me put it another way--just how difficult would it be for them to just straight out say "you will owe these 3 months worth of payments at the end of the 3 month deferral period?" The only reason they don't is to sucker people who need help into falling prey to enormous penalties and credit hits. And how does that help anyone whose work hours were cut anyway? If one no longer has the funds to make the monthly mortgage payment, what makes you think one would have the funds to set aside to pay the 3 months back all at once?
And one followup question- Why does it make you so angry that I pointed out they are not being completely transparent?

who's angry?

Do new car sellers tell you your going to loose 10% of resale value when you drive off the lot?
Do mortgage lenders tell you your upfront fees don't add to your "equity" in the house?

I'm sure you've seen the statement provided with every loan that points out exactly how much the loan will cost you.

The "transparency" is in the paperwork SPELLED OUT somewhere. Simply READ IT before you agree to borrow money.

Here's a thought to consider. what's really causing the hardship? the virus or living above one's means?

Honestly. I see this as one of the greatest reality check the world could face.
As well as a display of how fragile humanity is.

Hopefully, regardless of money issues, we all come out of this IN GOOD HEALTH and are able to adjust our future lives accordingly...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
and yes, when you take out a loan, it is very clear what you owe and when you owe it.

OK, then tell me where in the following it is made clear that anyone who takes a 3 month financial assistance deferral will suddenly be required to pay it all back in one lump sum at the end of the deferral period:

"We are granting immediate 3-month payment suspensions and providing an additional 3 months as needed. During the payment suspension period, we are not reporting late fees or reporting past due status for customers who request assistance. We will not be referring any accounts to foreclosure during this period. If your account was already referred to foreclosure, we are suspending residential property foreclosure sales and evictions.

If you need assistance beyond the initial three-month payment suspension, you have the option to extend the payment suspension up to an additional three months for total of six months. The payment suspension may be shortened by you at any time."

To any unfortunately uninformed Joe reading that, what it sounds like is that your loan term just gets pushed back with nothing owed for the next 3 months-- that's the definition of a "suspension"-- and then payments resume as normal, not realizing that you are going to get blindsided with a loan payment due after the deferral that is 3 times your normal payment plus the currently owed payment. And when you obviously can't make that payment (since if you could somehow come up with all that money during the suspension period, you would have just made your monthly payment as normal) THEN they hit you with the "option" to move the 3 months to the end of the loan term all the while racking up penalties THEN, and taking a big credit hit THEN.
So if you're going to wind up with penalties and credit hits anyway, how does that help anyone in need of financial assistance?? All I'm saying is that they need to be far more transparent in what is ACTUALLY going to happen after the 3 month deferral.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Banks are not your friend and live off the value of others who make things and perform services that are real and valuable. We pay way too much for people who do nothing but move money around.

Wells Fargo invented fake accounts to pay bonuses and didn't even get slapped - whereas you and I would go to jail if we did this.

I grind my banks down to 1/3 or less of their fee schedules for things that I know cost them no money, they are free to fire me if they want.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Banks are not your friend and live off the value of others who make things and perform services that are real and valuable. We pay way too much for people who do nothing but move money around.

Exactly, which is why I shake my head over certain posters on here actually justifying their tricks.

Abscate wrote:

Wells Fargo invented fake accounts to pay bonuses and didn't even get slapped - whereas you and I would go to jail if we did this.

I'm sure vwinnovator will justify this too--nothing wrong with that it's all the victims' fault.
Coincidentally enough, that quote I used above is from Wells Fargo, who my mortgage got sold to immediately after the local bank I refinanced through told me it would stay local.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

If the terms are in the fine print only a fool who signs the loan not reading the fine print is duped. Duped by his own foolishness

Folks should be thankful that the banks are offering a grace on the loan payment.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Erik G wrote:
and yes, when you take out a loan, it is very clear what you owe and when you owe it.

OK, then tell me where in the following it is made clear that anyone who takes a 3 month financial assistance deferral will suddenly be required to pay it all back in one lump sum at the end of the deferral period:

"We are granting immediate 3-month payment suspensions and providing an additional 3 months as needed. During the payment suspension period, we are not reporting late fees or reporting past due status for customers who request assistance. We will not be referring any accounts to foreclosure during this period. If your account was already referred to foreclosure, we are suspending residential property foreclosure sales and evictions.

If you need assistance beyond the initial three-month payment suspension, you have the option to extend the payment suspension up to an additional three months for total of six months. The payment suspension may be shortened by you at any time."

To any unfortunately uninformed Joe reading that, what it sounds like is that your loan term just gets pushed back with nothing owed for the next 3 months-- that's the definition of a "suspension"-- and then payments resume as normal, not realizing that you are going to get blindsided with a loan payment due after the deferral that is 3 times your normal payment plus the currently owed payment. And when you obviously can't make that payment (since if you could somehow come up with all that money during the suspension period, you would have just made your monthly payment as normal) THEN they hit you with the "option" to move the 3 months to the end of the loan term all the while racking up penalties THEN, and taking a big credit hit THEN.
So if you're going to wind up with penalties and credit hits anyway, how does that help anyone in need of financial assistance?? All I'm saying is that they need to be far more transparent in what is ACTUALLY going to happen after the 3 month deferral.

it's in the disclosures in your loan agreements. you sign that you read the disclosures. what "uninformed Joe" is getting loans and signing without reading loan disclosures? I think you are barking up some wrong bush, not even a tree
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

False

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1140541
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:

I'm sure you've seen the statement provided with every loan that points out exactly how much the loan will cost you.

Yes I certainly have, as well as the agreed upon amount of time to pay it back.
Which is exactly why when saying "Hey we'll let you suspend your payment for 3 months" they need to immediately follow it up with "by the way this does not change anything about the amount of TIME we are giving you to pay your loan back, which means you'll owe all that 3 months in one fell swoop after the deferment period." But nowhere do they make that clear, and a lot of people are going to get blindsided and will end up having to pay penalties because they have no choice but to move payments to the end of the loan term. How many different ways do you want me to say that?? Somehow you keep mistakenly thinking I'm saying the banks should just let someone off the hook for 3 months of payments, that's not what I'm saying at all.

vwinnovator wrote:
Here's a thought to consider. what's really causing the hardship? the virus or living above one's means?

Wow, so it's the fault of the poor sap who was keeping up payments just fine until he got let go as a result of a freak pandemic that no one could have predicted. OK.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

If the terms are in the fine print only a fool who signs the loan not reading the fine print is duped. Duped by his own foolishness

Folks should be thankful that the banks are offering a grace on the loan payment.

I already gave a perfect example of the terms NOT being in the fine print for what the actual financial assistance leads to.
Yet you keep refuting it.

1600 SP engine
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I grind my banks down to 1/3 or less of their fee schedules for things that I know cost them no money, they are free to fire me if they want.

without banks, there would be no bank loans to buy homes, build or expand businesses, and no banks for folks to place their money for safe keeping, and interest earning.

I suppose it would be better without bank loans, then there would be no home owners and businesses complaining about having to pay back them evil banks. who needs a home or a business anyway, screw the banks, the collective will supply all our needs, just like the Soviets, or East Germans did for their people. No car loans, just a brief 9 year waiting list to get a Soviet car assuming you can get on the list, and a rent free flat in a concrete highrise. Rolling Eyes

here is a link to how the Soviets bought cars and with no evil bank loans...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fAqNhB3qDq0

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Make sure you keep the straw man of 'eliminating banks' outside - its a fire hazard.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Make sure you keep the straw man of 'eliminating banks' outside - its a fire hazard.

banks are my friend, they made me a home loan, and keep my cash safe.

Your comments about banks not being your friend, when you state you talk them down to 1/3 of their fees indicates that they cant be all that bad, or perhaps you think they should work for you feelessly?

vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

I'm sure vwinnovator will justify this too--nothing wrong with that it's all the victims' fault.
Coincidentally enough, that quote I used above is from Wells Fargo, who my mortgage got sold to immediately after the local bank I refinanced through told me it would stay local.

Please don't speak for me or assume any of my thoughts.

The wells fargo thing was fraudulent.

A Borrower is CHOOSING to Borrow on their own.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reset. 2020. COVID-19 thread Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

vwinnovator wrote:

Wow, so it's the fault of the poor sap who was keeping up payments just fine until he got let go as a result of a freak pandemic that no one could have predicted. OK.

makes no difference if it's a freak pandemic or if it were a freak snowstorm closing down everything..

the mismanagement of debt and being over extended is why...

here's another thought for you..

Were banks handing out money and deferred payments during the Enron and the housing financial crisis?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bank financial assistance due to COVID-19 Reply with quote

These posts were moved from the COVID-19 thread as off that topic.

Thread locked due to arguing but leaving this in place as a general warning for anyone who might be investigating loans or deferred payments.

Locked.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: