Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA Industries Cylinder Heads
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put a pair of these heads on my 1600 s/p engine rebuild 1500 miles ago. I noticed symptoms of a pulled or broken cylinder stud so I got busy and had a look this morning. Maybe you can spot the problem. This looks like a slam dunk warranty issue to me, I’ll let y’all know what they say.

I don’t post this for advice or recommendations. I bought these heads on purpose. I know what some are thinking. The thing is I have a backyard shop, built for personal and family use. Inevitably some ACVW work finds me. I don’t advertise, not interested in booking much work. I decided to take a chance on these as a way to road test and live with them myself before I put them on a client’s VW. Even if AA warrantees the head I highly doubt they’ll send extra funds to cover my time for labor. Worse, I’d be mortified to have to charge a client twice for a job because of a poorly made part. Hey, at least this one is mine, right?

We’re all going to walk down this road sooner or later. I’ve given up on VW making new heads.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

that's a shame Jeff. But, somewhere in it there is a purpose that only the Lord knows what it is.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Don't post that in the performance forum or you'll be tarred and feathered for over-torquing your heads… Laughing

Last set of no-name single port heads I saw had a pinhole leak in one of the intake spigots. Unreal what's coming out of mass production these days…

It looks like you replaced the valve springs, keepers, and retainers, no?

Glad you didn't have to do double work on a client's car.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Junk....junk..junk... nothing new here..U get what you pay for.
Or sometimes u pay to get screwed...bad karma?? overcomers!!
Good luck...at least u get to fix it yourself...it stinks though when you get a defective part .. many are the trials of the righteous but the Lord delivers us from them all..

These busses are all so old now...we tend to forget how old and drive them like modern cars...Did you really ever go far in a 36hp bus...top speed was ,48mph..a53hp maybe 65.. when new.
.ain't any of us getting any younger.

Good luck and remember if u wanna go fast..hey a modern car.. Or take the plane..Bill... Puerto Rico and VT

Junk
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

I'm stacking some aluminum washers on that & driving it for six years.
But I also have driven on a piston I re-contoured after an intake valve seat
dropped. (It was all my fault & my bus so...........)
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Good man keep em rolling however u can.... Bill
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Don't post that in the performance forum or you'll be tarred and feathered for over-torquing your heads… Laughing

why? that head wasn't even close to being made right. holy shit Shocked

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

In the trade you have to either jack your labor rate to 180 or have that heart to heart with your customer that parts suck, and if you need to repeat work, you need to get paid for it at the standard rate.

The customers choice is to have the work done or do it yourself.

If your customer won’t agree, they get fired.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Im glad I held out, and was eventually tipped off on getting the Mahles I was looking for after seeing this. Was close to buying the AA’s, but was waiting for more feedback. I like you, have a backroads, home garage, and am helping several friends with their engine and bus work. I would be devastated if this happened to one of the motors I put together for someone else.

Would put questions in my friends heads whether I was a competent mechanic or not, although no fault of my own.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

why? that head wasn't even close to being made right. holy shit Shocked

Yeah, it looks like that didn't take a good look at a stock VW head. But hey, its shiny.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

I’m thinking that AA will say I over torqued the head, we’ll see.

The thing is like many of you, I have torqued cylinder heads for decades, never had a whole corner break off like this one. If you have experience engine building you’d know the nut at the broken part of the head is # 7 of 8 in the first torque sequence, then on the final pass it’s #8 of 8. I have always torqued big stud nuts to 20 ft. lbs. final torque after starting with 10, then 15.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Yeah, it looks like that didn't take a good look at a stock VW head. But hey, its shiny.

it looks like they drilled the holes for the studs thru each fin. each stud hole has it's own boss on a OE head. no fucking way that would have ever worked

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Yup, that sounds great... something I'd do..but I've learned the hard way.. sometimes I spend a quarter to save a nickel...My kids all adults now remind me how cheap,fugal,consertive I am...New Englanders are that way but it's refreshing to know we're not alone..If U ever get east shoot me a email @ we'll get a coffee or a beer...Bill... PR and VT...We have some nice VW shows n camp out here. Thanks
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Quote:
it looks like they drilled the holes for the studs thru each fin. each stud hole has it's own boss on a OE head. no fucking way that would have ever worked

I think skills nailed it. How is the first fin supposed to take the tension of a head bolt torqued to spec?

Jeff - can you a take a picture sideways looking at the fins edge on with a head bolt in place?

Also, a close up of the cracked surface would reveal a defect in casting.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Looking from my phone here... but is the opposite side of the head beginning to show a crack in a similar location?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Looking from my phone here... but is the opposite side of the head beginning to show a crack in a similar location?

Robbie

regardless, I can't believe that the fin is supposed to take the torque load. I would think that whole area the nut goes should be a solid piece.It looks like the gap between fins even undercuts that area in the head where it broke. A side profile shot would give a better view of how it was constructed. Otherwise the growth from heat and contraction would change the load on that fin every time the engine heated and cooled.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

regardless, I can't believe that the fin is supposed to take the torque load. I would think that whole area the nut goes should be a solid piece..

exactly. there is a boss cast into the whole deal on good heads

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

Chinese head 1st
VW head 2nd

This engine is Chinese from the pistons out. I’m testing all this stuff...
Oil cooler
Fuel pump
Oil pump
Carburetor
Distributor
Alternator
Clutch disc/pressure plate/t-o bearing

As well, AA pistons/cylinders

I’m not going to stray more than a few hundred miles from home till I can click off about 10k without failures as a result of using basic repair parts most are having to use out there.

Last edited by Jeff Geisen on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

hard to tell Jeff, but it looks like on the VW head the vertical reinforcement runs continually from the bottom to the top, but on the AA head it stops at the fin below the one that broke.

Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: AA Industries Cylinder Heads Reply with quote

You’re right, not enough meat cast in that area.

I found some VW heads locally. Now, they’ll cost twice what the AA units did.

Let me be the example here, learn from my mistake.

As well, the t/o bearing lasted about 300 miles, so I replaced all clutch components with Sachs.
I could not live with the dizzy either.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: