Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How far to go building a driver
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

Just got a 62 bug I’m working on. This car will be a driver, not a show car. My main concern is paint, I have removed the fenders, hood, decklid, removed all seals from doors, wires etc. The plan is to paint the interior/exterior, as well as the trunk. I haven’t started sanding or prepping yet. I am not trying to impress anyone with the car, but I want it to look decent and not ghetto. I’m not sure where the line is between going full blown show car, or half assed prep and paint job. Any suggestions helping me find a happy balance ?
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

I would not paint it with a brush.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

A roller, however, is fair game.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

Most of the expense in a paint job is the prep and assembly. You are doing that and saving big. I'd shop for a local paint shop to spray primer and color. Keep in mind since they didn't do the prep they may not offer much of a guarantee.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

The trunk area for example, after the paint, I am going to use the trunk liners and cover most of it up anyways. I am wondering how someone building their car to drive vs building for show, would differ in their paint procedure ( trunk)
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
iowegian wrote:

A roller, however, is fair game.

I did the fuel tank with the roller, came out really nice.
SoCal66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

A friend of mine works in a very large dealership body shop here in SoCal. When it came time to paint his S-10 Blazer he prepped it and took it to a One-Day type shop to have it painted. It turned out great. His reasoning was that all that guy does all day is spray cars. Most of the work is in the prep.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

There are just so many variables here. Does it need rust repair? Certainly, as has already been suggested, doing disassembly, prep work and reassembly can save major dollars. Are you going to pull all the glass and reinstall with new seals? Masking the car is another important step.

Even then it will still cost you. You will have to decide if you want the underside of the trunk and deck lid painted and the door jams. Everything adds up. Ultimately it’s your call (and your wallets).Tough to pinpoint a cost. Good luck and post some pics.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
There are just so many variables here. Does it need rust repair? Certainly, as has already been suggested, doing disassembly, prep work and reassembly can save major dollars. Are you going to pull all the glass and reinstall with new seals? Masking the car is another important step.

Even then it will still cost you. You will have to decide if you want the underside of the trunk and deck lid painted and the door jams. Everything adds up. Ultimately it’s your call (and your wallets).Tough to pinpoint a cost. Good luck and post some pics.

Ill post some pics tomorrow. The brake fluid reservoir area has some rust. Other than that, its pretty good. I am going to pull all the glass, but try to reuse the seals, they are in decent shape still. Underside of trunk and decklid will be painted. I am going to paint the car, now is the time to learn. Door jams too, I gutted the doors today, weather stripping on the door, window stripping, windows removed etc. It needs a new headliner, so that's coming out. Door panels are decent, so will reuse those. I am trying to reuse anything that's still functional.
Danny604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

As said above the majority of the cost and the final outcome are in the prep assembly. With that being said, I painted a couple of motorcycle tanks a few years ago using rattle can off the shelf from home depot, then a 2 part spray can clear. I spent the time to get the prep work done and make it really smooth. Then a couple coats of primer, let it dry, wet sand it out to remove all orange peel and dust (I painted it in my backyard, outdoor). Then 2-3 coats of color (I did black), wet sand again. 2-3 more coats, wet sand again. Then the final 2 part clear, wet sanded again. Then I had to polish it, I did it by hand, but you would need a polisher. I had lots of time in my project for the multiple days of drying time between each stage, but with a spray gun and proper 2 part paint you wont have to worry about that. My thought was that with enough paint on the tank I could sand out the defects. It turned out excellent.

Depending on your ability. You could build a basic spray booth in a garage, buy or rent a spray gun, get the proper air supply parts, then just buy the materials. My brother bought all the materials to paint a bay window bus and I think he said it was about $1800 Canadian all said and done. I think you could probably get the car painted for less than $2k Canadian including the booth costs.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

I don’t think anyone is going to advise you to do a shabby or rushed job. If you’re pulling the windows and seals you are getting serious about doing a decent job.

Likely, if you took your time and did the finest job you are capable of, you would still wind up with some blemishes and imperfections that would prevent you from using the car as a ‘show car’. Guys who get very good results have built on experience and know how over years.

Have you ever painted a car before or done metal work on an old car?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

A $10,000 paint job & a $500 paint job are both destroyed by a door ding or stone chip. A daily driven car will see a lot more of the wear & tear, how pissed do you want to be when it happens?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

Rollers? Just buy some beer and take over to one of the hack shops like Earl Sheib or Maaco. You won’t pay much and you won’t get much. Win win. Very Happy
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
I don’t think anyone is going to advise you to do a shabby or rushed job. If you’re pulling the windows and seals you are getting serious about doing a decent job.

Likely, if you took your time and did the finest job you are capable of, you would still wind up with some blemishes and imperfections that would prevent you from using the car as a ‘show car’. Guys who get very good results have built on experience and know how over years.

Have you ever painted a car before or done metal work on an old car?

Good point, my best effort would never be near a show finish. Never painted a car before, but I have done metal work.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

Here where I’m at so far

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

Think your going about the right way, check forum paint and body to get good advise.
I have taking a few cars to Macco, if you prep it right, they do a good job..after all they paint 200 cars a week. the painters sometimes bring their own equipment, and seem to be conscientious about their work, get to know em a bit. If you mask that helps as well. I hope you pick an og vw color.
Good luck

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

Looks like you have a pretty good car to start with. I’ve always liked the anthracite colour.
To do a headliner you need to pull the side and rear windows. When I painted my ‘60, I replaced all the window seals including the chrome trim. A year later I decided to replace the vinyl headliner that the PO had installed with a correct mohair liner. It was easy to remove and reuse the one year old seals. Older seals might present more of a challenge especially with the trim insert.
Keep posting pics and keep us informed of your progress.
KingAir42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
A $10,000 paint job & a $500 paint job are both destroyed by a door ding or stone chip. A daily driven car will see a lot more of the wear & tear, how pissed do you want to be when it happens?

I am frustrated at the moment. I can paint it myself a non vw grey color, and disappointment most of you. Or I can prep it myself and pay to have it sprayed with the original ruby red ( which I don’t like ). The anthracite grey, I do like. I will worry a lot more about the paint if I have it sprayed by a painter vs doing it myself with the non vw grey color.
Acab77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

You should be able to order paint using the code and have it be a VW color, if that's the route you want to go.
'64.5 Ford Mustang
'67 Datsun Roadster
'72 Chevy LUV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How far to go building a driver Reply with quote

I can say in 99% confidence, that that car was never ruby red.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: