Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice on a Ghia purchase
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarmannMarco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

Hey guys! Been a couple of years since I posted. I sadly had to sell my 69 Ghia a couple of years ago but now a deal came up on another and I'd like you guys to weigh in on it.
A little backstory. I bought my 69 in 2010. It had been wrecked on the front and the floor plans were Swiss cheese. In a couple of years I tought myself to weld and do bodywork. I grafted a whole new nose , replaced the pans and tons of other rust repairs. By the time I was done it was rust free and 95% body wise with almost no filler. Also refreshed the engine , dual kads , interior , brakes etc ... Was a work of love.

Now this other 69 comes about. 100% all original and needs a full restoration but it's all there. The headlights top sheetmetal and rockers are shot. Also it does not run but it does turn over. The part that concerns me the most is the title is lost but getting a new title seems possible here in Colorado. The best the guy can do is $700 and I think that is fair considering it's a complete car but maybe I just miss my old Ghia too much and I'm blind. What do you guys think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

It looks complete. That's were the good news stops. But for $700 you could recoup your outlay by simply parting it out. So there's no financial risk. Are you really up to doing all that work?

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

Dude, walk the fuck away. It’ll be the best money you never spent.

It’s complete alright, a complete POS.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

My 30 second scan of the pics puts you at $14-16k to get it to a place where you will be happy.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

tjschmidty wrote:
My 30 second scan of the pics puts you at $14-16k to get it to a place where you will be happy.

And that's if you do most of the work yourself. To have a shop do it correctly, start at $35K and plan on more than that.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

It is hard to believe that a car in Colorado could be that rusty--------unless somebody dragged it there from Wisconsin. Part it out.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

I feel it were a lowlight or early convertible I'd still walk away. And I also do all my own work.
That looks like wet rust and with all that double walled construction it's going not require complete panel replacements.
Walk away, there are plenty of low priced late 60s Coupe projects.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

The seats are '68.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

It's a project for sure.

If you get great satisfaction from saving a car such as this, go for it!

But it is way over priced, $300 maybe........
and no title? Free.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Laughing It's OK TDCTDI, no need to hold back for politeness sake - he did ask what the forum members here thought about it, so go ahead and tell him what you really think about it.

While you could possibly recoup $700 from that Ghia by parting it out, that wouldn't take into account your efforts to dismantle it, and the space necessary to store all the bits and pieces while you wait for the next miserly vintage VW enthusiast to come around for a single part and haggle down the selling price to a small fraction of what you had originally hoped to get for it.

Admittedly, I don't have any personal experience with welding and bodywork myself.
However, ... I really wonder if you spent even as much as an additional $5k on a Ghia with a body that didn't resemble swiss cheese, could you actually end up saving thou$and$ in the final tally even if you value your own time at $0/hour?

Of course, if it's a challenge and a potential tremendous sense of accomplishment you're looking for, then buying that very rusty Karmann Ghia could be pricele$$.
Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

I'll take the nose badge if it's in decent shape and not too overpriced. So you have at least one sale!!! Rolling Eyes
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Laughing It's OK TDCTDI, no need to hold back for politeness sake - he did ask what the forum members here thought about it, so go ahead and tell him what you really think about it.

I WAS being polite. Laughing Crush value on that thing is probably less than $200, if the seller "can't take less than $700" then he's a complete & total idiot for getting that deep in it & should part the thing out himself. Technically, it's illegal for him to sell it since he does not have a title for it. Yes, you can probably recoup your money out of it, over several years of dicking with the low ball offers, no shows, the picture collectors, & the "I gotta have it" until you go through the BS of trying to get whatever item boxed & getting shipping quotes only to never hear from them again.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bugpowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

That's a extreme amount of bodywork. Pass....there will be no immediate gratification.
Ant B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

you guys are spoilt for choice. Smile

in the UK that would be selling for 4 times the asking price and we would pay it as Ghias are rare as hell over here.

Tony B
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

KarmannMarco wrote:
...maybe I just miss my old Ghia too much and I'm blind.

Even if the guy gave you $500 to haul it away, it wouldn't be worth restoring that rustbucket. You'd have way more money into it than it would ever be worth. But if you really want/need a project that'll take up all your free time for the foreseeable future and put a major dent in your bank account, then go for it.

On the other hand, if what want in the end is a decent-looking and reliable car to cruise around in, keep looking...there are way better cars available out there. It's usually more cost-effective to spend the money up front and buy the very best car you can afford instead of trying to save some hopeless piece of junk like this.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

Ant B wrote:
you guys are spoilt for choice. Smile

in the UK that would be selling for 4 times the asking price and we would pay it as Ghias are rare as hell over here.

Tony B

Yes, I will freely admit that we are spoiled! In OH so many varied ways.

We also are paying an average of well under $2.00 US for a gallon of gas! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

Calling it “complete” is generous when you’d have to buy good metal for half the car.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

Its a 68 if it matters. oh, no. Walk away.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KarmannMarco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a Ghia purchase Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Point well taken. I think I was thinking out of missing my old car. I passed on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: