Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
with the spindle removed.)

But if the joint gets moved from it's operating position the play may change. They would be better measured with everything in place while prying between the arms and spindle.

Are you saying the angle of joint operation will give a different reading? I have the SGKent-Donated Ball Joint Checker tool, (Bentley "Special Tool,") and it gives about the same reading as a joint without the spindle.

Anyone doing joints or boots at home probably has calipers to do this…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I personally think that most people replace joints before they have to, or replace joints that only need boots and a bit of fresh grease. But who would want to go through the work of removing the spindle just to replace a $10 boot, when they can spend $300 to make their car drive worse…… Rolling Eyes

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Anyone doing joints or boots at home probably has calipers to do this…

I personally think that most people replace joints before they have to, or replace joints that only need boots and a bit of fresh grease. But who would want to go through the work of removing the spindle just to replace a $10 boot, when they can spend $300 to make their car drive worse…… Rolling Eyes

Robbie

Is this true for tie rods as well? or is that wear more on the lateral or horizontal?
(sold - but not forgotten)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going off-book here…

If you can feel play in your tie rod ends, replace the tie rod end. If not, make sure the boot is good.

And drive on.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitramrebrab72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd Reply with quote

Cool little made in 🇩🇪 tool designed for the vanagon, but will also do bay windows and a lot of others air cooled Vw's
Chrisbezui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd Reply with quote

I've heard that the T3's lower ball joint fits the T2 lower and upper. Is this correct and would anyone recommend this?

Perhaps these are better quality than the currently available T2 ball joints.

If so, I would also wonder how these would be installed, as they do not have the same notches to assist with alignment.
John Pedersen 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ball joint comparison: Meyle, Lemförder, Moog, SKF and Heyd Reply with quote

I am gonna try this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaMsarSily0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: