Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New EMPI Website
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

I posted a comment on Empi’s FB page about their new site, but since it had negativity, it was erased by them. I figured I’d post here, and elaborate a little with the added space.

Anyone that has used Empi’s site in the past remembers it was basically page views of their current print catalog. I found this to be extremely easy to navigate with an alphabetical index that told you the page(s) that had the components you were looking for. Once on the page, it had a grouping of any variations of the components, and listed the Empi part numbers that went with them.

While searching for a customer, I came across a new Empi 5.5 width 356 replica wheel being sold on JBug’s site, 10-1171-0. Wanting to know if it came in a 4.5 width, I looked on Empi’s “new” site, only to find there wasn’t even a listing for the 10-1171-0 wheel. Also, while searching for the wheel, the site listed EVERYTHING associated with a wheel in the “wheels and components” category. This ment I had to sift throughout 111 randomly listed unwanted items, such as wheel spacers/adapters, and lugnuts I had zero interest in. The old site would have directed you to the page “range” in which the wheels were nicely grouped together in the print catalog. You may have needed to page through some wheel designs you were not looking for, but at least it was a much cleaner grouping of wheels only where ALL variations of a wheels color/polish/bolt pattern were listed together.

Wanting to see how the rest of the site was laid out, I searched some other items like crankshafts, and connecting rods. I found a little nicer grouping of cranks that I didn’t have to sift through unwanted items, but there were only listings for 69, 76, and 86 strokes. Doesn’t Empi sell 74/78/82/84 stroke cranks in Chevy/VW journals anymore? The “connecting rod” section only had listings for stock replacement rods. I guess you need to be a little more specific to look for “H-beam”, and “I-beam” to find the performance connecting rods. Once the H-beam listing came up, the 5.4 VW journal rod was the only listing. Have the 5.5/5.6/5.7 in the VW/Chevy journal’s been discontinued?

Empi has made a lot of inexpensive lesser quality items in the past, because that’s what some VW enthusiasts are willing to pay for/settle for the level of quality, and that has given them a reputation here that everything is crap. I’ve gone out of my way to promote items that I feel ARE of quality like the cranks/rods. While I’m glad the new owners are moving forward trying to make things “better”, there are a lot of things I question, or are significantly disappointed in with some of their attempts. The new site is still in it’s “testing” phase, but it’s going to need a lot of work to have the info/ease of navigation of the previous version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

I just checked the EMPI site. It's down. The catalog page is down too.
I think you killed it!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I think you killed it!

It’s working on my phone...

https://empius.com

Like with eBay, and various other sites, it would of been nice to have a “click here if you would like to revert to the old site” until the new one was officially done. The old catalog page site was taken down upon the test of the new site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

I just looked at it. It seems that they have a LOT of work to do on it though. And if their suggested retail pricing is accurate, they have raised some of the prices up a whole lot. Thats not going to go over very well with the people.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
I just looked at it. It seems that they have a LOT of work to do on it though. And if their suggested retail pricing is accurate, they have raised some of the prices up a whole lot. Thats not going to go over very well with the people.

Yes, they are accurate. That’s one of the things I’ve “questioned”...

It’s my understanding from the shop I used to work at, there have been multiple price increases in the last two years. Is this viewed as the old owners possibly not managing their increasing costs very well by not raising prices as frequent? Is this viewed as the new owners needing to raise prices more frequent to make up for the possibile shortcomings of the old owners? Is this viewed as the new owners being greedy?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
I think you killed it!

It’s working on my phone...

https://empius.com

Like with eBay, and various other sites, it would of been nice to have a “click here if you would like to revert to the old site” until the new one was officially done. The old catalog page site was taken down upon the test of the new site.

Must have been a momentary thing.
Here's an example of incomplete information on the new site.
https://empius.com/products/bugpack-4340-chromoly-stroker-crank/
What stroke is it? WTF?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

Low bid web site builder?
JDMbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

Even though there is a clear problem with website indexing right now, I do think it does look more visually appealing now.
What I found more interesting than the website itself, is the new faq tab stating who owns EMPI, which is the Dubin Clark & Co. On a quick google search, I found the Dubin Clark & Co website which states what they do to businesses they acquire.
Quote:
We are long-term investors, dedicated to creating value by helping our companies grow. We do this through a coordinated approach that includes providing the capital necessary to support internal growth, completing add-on acquisitions to build market share, and helping to develop new strategies for the future, while protecting the independence, culture and values that made the company successful in the first place.

If anyone wants to explore their website you can visit https://dubinclark.com/ the quote was pulled from the about us tab.

67rustavenger wrote:

Must have been a momentary thing.
Here's an example of incomplete information on the new site.
https://empius.com/products/bugpack-4340-chromoly-stroker-crank/
What stroke is it? WTF?

It appears someone didn't read the disclaimer page hidden at the bottom of the page next to the copyright Laughing :
Quote:
The information in EMPI catalog has been compiled from reliable sources and is correct to the best of our knowledge. However, we cannot and do not assume any responsibility or liability for errors or omissions in this catalog.

Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

Yes, they are accurate. That’s one of the things I’ve “questioned”...

It’s my understanding from the shop I used to work at, there have been multiple price increases in the last two years. Is this viewed as the old owners possibly not managing their increasing costs very well by not raising prices as frequent? Is this viewed as the new owners needing to raise prices more frequent to make up for the possibile shortcomings of the old owners? Is this viewed as the new owners being greedy?

The shop I used to work at told me that they raised all of their prices like ten percent. But the wheel prices seem to have gone up way more then that.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

yeah you really can't find anything on the website. search is erratic too
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

Prices at the retail level go up every year just like clockwork, they all do it. Concerning Empi they have an opportunity to make and sell quality products but what will they do? , that remains to be seen. Generally speaking fewer consumer choices by whatever means, vertical integration, buying up other competitors, and consolidation means higher prices.
I’ll sure give empi a chance and see what they do and how they treat me. I’ve been rough on them in the past but only because I’ve longed for a higher quality.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

Hey EMPI its 2020...what a pos website.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

What I am guessing is that its under construction. They do have a few products to enter. But usually you leave the old site up until you beta test. Once its fully functioning, will probably use it more. Hated the old one.

And as far as prices...not sure if anyone noticed, but there have been some issues with China over the last 6 months or more....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

When they did the big changeover they raised all of their prices. Typical when someone new is in charge. But when wheels go from $90 to $130... thats not going to help sales.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
When they did the big changeover they raised all of their prices. Typical when someone new is in charge. But when wheels go from $90 to $130... thats not going to help sales.

It is what it is...A business needs to make money and its very likely they were priced too low to begin with.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:

It is what it is...A business needs to make money and its very likely they were priced too low to begin with.

It’s not like they’re selling LS cranks/rods. I was always lead to believe Empi bought parts by the shipping container, not by the pallet. How many production runs in a year for popular parts does a supplier for a 40+ year old imported car go through to warrant changing the prices on everything multiple times within a year.

Empi specific produced items, like wheels, without direct competition can have their prices set however high they want them to. There still will be a threshold. It’s items like cranks/rods, or items simply resold like AA/Mahle piston sets is where they will soon find out what prices can be set at to compete with someone like CB Performance.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New EMPI Website Reply with quote

That new site sucks! I cannot find part numbers to what I need even by typing in the search field!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: