Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

broken bolt and broken extractor any help?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

So I was removing the cover to the rear torsion bar and the bottom front bolt snapped off, I figured it would be no problem I've removed broken bolts before. So I filed the bolt flat used a center punch and drilled a small hole and stepped it up to a 7/32 hole, I heated the area around the broken bolt and inserted my bolt extractor and as I was turning the extractor it snapped flush with the broken bolt. Now what do I do, the extractor is made of a very hard steel so trying to drilling into it is next to impossible.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

If you can borrow a MIG welder you could try this....

Link

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

If you have a small cold chisel and some safety glasses you could chip it out. If you tried to extract it while it was hot THAT is probably caused the easyout to break it needs to be cold so it's not expanded in the threads. If you can drill it after you get the broken pc. out keep drilling until you are almost touching the female threads then put a torch (acc/ox or propane) and heat it and it may curl inward to itself.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462182
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I'd probably try a small die grinder/Dremel with small stones and/or small pointed carbide cutters. I'd work around the broken extractor, add a little light oil, heat up, tap with a small pin punch, repeat until I removed the broken extractor.

When I had the broken extractor out of the way, I go down the hole enlarging it until I could tap/pick the broken bolt fragment out. It may take a while.
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

So I did try the suggestion of welding a nut onto the broken bolt, with no success. It could have been my inexperience on welding since I only bought the welder around Christmas, I will be looking into the grinding option I do have access to many different carbide tip grinding bits from work. If the grinding option works I think I will end up enlarging the hole and then inserting a steel plug then re drilling and tapping the hole for a new bolt.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I would try using a 1/8" carbide ball end mill in a Dremel to get a hole thru the center.Then maybe you can get a drill bit in there trying not to cut bigger than the minor diameter of the thread.
A left hand drill bit may remove whats left of the bolt.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I don't remember, but are those threaded holes open both sides? Maybe you could punch from the other side?
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

It is open on both sides and I did try drilling it out, but once it hit the extractor the drill would not drill any more. I tried using a punch after drilling it but I had tried the welded nut on the other side first so my guess is that the extractor is welded in place so punching it out is no use. I just picked up a few different types of carbide bits, so when I get home today I'll give them a shot. Fingers crossed.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

Call your local machine shops and see if one has an E.D.M. machine, It will burn the stud and extractor out in no time.
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I thought of an EDM machine but I don't think they could fit the entire car on the machine. After all it is the torsion tube flange, that is part of the main frame, that the entire car is attached to. I did not see any portable EDM machines on the market. But thank you for the suggestion it would definitely do the job.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I broke two of those bolts on a spring plate cover and had the same problem with one of them. You may be able to drill into the bolt from the back side and punch out what’s left of the extractor. Others have mentioned Dremel grinding, which I did very memorably and with a lot of swearing.

Definitely replace the bolts.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113598200
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

So I got home from work today with carbide bits in hand, I used my angle grinder to flatten the bolt/extractor flush with the flange, I then used my Dremel with the very small round bit to start grinding into the extractor and it was going though it like butter (very happy to see that happening) I then decided to try tapping the extractor from the other side and what do you know, it finally popped out. So I drilled out the remainder of the bolt, now I need to place a steel plug in the hole and redrill and tap for a new bolt.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments, they were very helpful.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

Rather than inserting a solid steel plug, why not try one of these thread repair options?
https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/three-ways-to-fix-damaged-threads/

The bolts themselves are only torqued to 25lb-ft so they are not high stress.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
graz126
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I also snapped a bolt in the same place. Gonna try drilling it out tomorrow. 😕
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I agree with Ashman.

The plug you made has nothing to hang on to.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I believe by "plug" he means threaded. Like a pipe plug.
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: broken bolt and broken extractor any help? Reply with quote

I was thinking of a solid plug but after reviewing it more I did not open up the hole too much so I could use a helicoil insert. I hope that I don't have the same problem on the other side but with my luck and given the age of the car it will most likely happen again, as least this time I will have a plan and the tools to fix it quicker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: