Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

In 3 weeks I'll be ordering my engine case for the 2332. I was going to go with the CB Super case, but a lot of folks recommend I get one of their aluminum (White Rhino) cases for the strength it provides.

That said, I'm torn between the White Rhino and a TF-1. I've not heard anything but praise for the TF-1, but wanted to ask before I pay that chunk of change! If I go with the TF-1, I'll be running 10mm head studs w/ no case savers instead of the 8mm studs (w/ case savers) I would option the CB White Rhino with.

Should I go with the CB aluminum case or the TF-1?

parts collected for my 2332 to date:

Super Pro 45 x 37.5 heads w/ 52cc chambers, 650 springs and Ti retainers
CB 1.4 rockers
CB 84mm 4340 Chevy crank
CB Lightened 4340 chromoly flywheel
CB h-beam 4340 5.5 rods (for now)
Mahle 94mm P&Cs
CB 1 3/4 merged exhaust
Spanish 48 IDAs
Spanish 48 IDFs
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

A factory Mag case would work great for your 2332. If you insist on an aluminum case then get the CB case. The TF-1 is overkill. 8mm head studs fine for your engine, no need for 10mm.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
A factory Mag case would work great for your 2332. If you insist on an aluminum case then get the CB case. The TF-1 is overkill. 8mm head studs fine for your engine, no need for 10mm.

Thanks - I have a nagging suspicion the TF-1 is overkill, but it also sounds like it will last for quite a while and is basically bullet-proof.

You have made some good arguments for being practical with the case I choose. I'll give consideration to what you mentioned - appreciate it!
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

100% I'd be running a TF-1 if I had the cash.
Can you have too much overkill?
ditchbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

sounds like the same engine i'm collecting parts for as well
what are your thoughts on a camshaft?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RickS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

What is the current price and availability on a TF-1 case?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

For my cam I'm planning on the FK46 called for in the proven 200+ hp engine build thread created by the late Mark Herbert (rip sir) :

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106877

Todd is working up an exact shipping quote, but the block is 1450.00 + 165.00 for the .100" drop cam gear (case lowers cam by this much to allow for drop in fitment of even an 86mm crank!) + a ballpark for shipping to the east coast of 110.00. He said right now he can ship as soon as a day or two.

I am entertaining getting this case to "buy once, cry once" and hopefully never need to buy another case, at least for this big engine.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I would go for the TF-1. I wish I did and my engine is much smaller

The extra $600 is worth it if you have cash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Buy the TF-1. The only disadvantage is the cost and added weight. It’s stronger in just about every way imaginable. The cam gears are expensive, but your also buying the best (CEs).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I also read it’s a good idea to have the heads machined at the pushrod tube holes. The dropped cam changes the p tube angle and leaks easier.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I don't think you would gain anything by using the TF1 case for your combination. Built right a cb case will have the same lifespan, built wrong neither of them are bulletproof. It's all in the build. I know guys who can break a crowbar in a sandbox. Use 8mm studs like Dave said, you'll thank him when your putting it together.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

With a 84mm crank there is no reason you need a .100" drop cam.

My suggestion for a 200 HP engine the CB case will be plenty strong enough and last just as long.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Either way you go make sure the lifter bores are bushed with that cam

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Aluminum case won't need the lifter bores bushed. They are pretty tough as cast.

TF-1 has a .100" dropped cam for big stroke cranks.

No need for all that.
I would highly recommend the Aluminum Autolina case.

They are really tough.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I’m building on a TF-1 right now.
No disappointments here.
What a beautifully designed and manufactured part.😀😀
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I don't think you would gain anything by using the TF1 case for your combination. Built right a cb case will have the same lifespan, built wrong neither of them are bulletproof. It's all in the build. I know guys who can break a crowbar in a sandbox. Use 8mm studs like Dave said, you'll thank him when your putting it together.

Thanks Brad, I respect yours and Daves (and everyone else's!) opinions. I have to balance my desire to have the best parts with the amount of time its going to take me to get my engine running, and the CB case is definitely nice enough.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
With a 84mm crank there is no reason you need a .100" drop cam.

My suggestion for a 200 HP engine the CB case will be plenty strong enough and last just as long.

Good point. This is overkill for my 84 stroke crank. The TF-1 will allow an 86mm crank to drop right in. I think the CB case will too.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

jbbugs wrote:
I’m building on a TF-1 right now.
No disappointments here.
What a beautifully designed and manufactured part.😀😀
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is a beautiful engine you have there! In the photo is that the special cam gear that cam with the case? Are you using T-4 mains?

Thanks for the feedback.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I also read it’s a good idea to have the heads machined at the pushrod tube holes. The dropped cam changes the p tube angle and leaks easier.

Thanks Jason, I wasn't aware of this!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Looks like too the TF-1 comes with a couple of oiling mods:

1) a provision to run the Hoover mod if desired

2) a hole is drilled near the #3 exhaust lifter bore to route over pressurized oil back to the very bottom of the sump ready to be picked up and used again by the oil pump
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: