Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I wish i had got the tf1 cases instead of these 2 bubble topers...just because they were made with real performance in mind but as it is now I dont know if I will ever get to use any of it since my clutch foot/ankle is afu,hell I cant even drive my new roadster with a oe hyd clutch.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I wish i had got the tf1 cases instead of these 2 bubble topers...just because they were made with real performance in mind but as it is now I dont know if I will ever get to use any of it since my clutch foot/ankle is afu,hell I cant even drive my new roadster with a oe hyd clutch.

Dang Mark, sorry to hear about your ankle.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

No need to bore the case for T4 bearings if you plan on using BMW bearings.
BMW bearings will fit a stock bore case.
Just need the thrust plates added.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Thanks Tom,

The thrust plates and bearings are all part of a package Todd recommended. I spoke to Shawn Geers and he will be looking for my case once Todd is finished machining it.

From the TF-1 FAQ sheet:

. . .
I can also cut the main thrust surface so that they are ready to install bronze thrust plates if you are going with type 4 size mains on your crank and plan to use the BMW adapter bearings. I send the case to Shawn Geers and he supplies the bearings and installs the thrust plates.
. . .
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I ended up buying the TF-1 with the following options:

-94 bore
-.100" dropped cam gear
-case to be used with 8 dowel crank (see next item)
-Type 4 Center (#2) main, the other 3 standard, with ideas of using a non-
flanged crank which I'll purchase later
-stock vw oil system (oil pressure, oil relief, oil cooler holes on top of case)
- stroker clearanced for 86mm stroke
-Case to be sent to Shawn Geers to have tang added to #2 case bore for T-4
bearings, with Shawn supplying the bearings and shipping it to me

Case is at Geers Engineering for the above finish work, but I've not heard back from Shawn after sending 2 emails. I'll probably call him tomorrow.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I got my drop cam straight cuts from Competition Engineering in Phoenix. There's no better
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I will ask Shawn how your case is doing, I need some carb to manifold gaskets he is holding for me. I will see him Tuesday or Wednesday.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
I got my drop cam straight cuts from Competition Engineering in Phoenix. There's no better

Cool thank you I'll hit 'em up Smile
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
I will ask Shawn how your case is doing, I need some carb to manifold gaskets he is holding for me. I will see him Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks I appreciate it!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Communications blackout with Geers Engineering! Hopefully he'll call or email me back soon to let me know how my TF-1 is coming.

Ivkings4 was kind enough to check in with him on my behalf earlier this week and Shawn told him he had received the case from Todd Francis. I guess I need to chill but I'm eager to get my parts back!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

I called and got in touch with Shawn a few minutes ago. He said he plans to get my case finished up and ready by tomorrow and said he will call with an to update and provide a full estimate with shipping by tomorrow. I'm super stoked!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

TF-1 case arrived earlier today. It is one nice chunk of aluminum! Mine has T-4 center main, 94 bore and is otherwise standard issue.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

When is your marine crank showing up??

Glad to hear you got it safe and sound.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
When is your marine crank showing up??

Glad to hear you got it safe and sound.

Who did you say to buy one of those from? I so far have plans for the scat crank:

Billet 8-dowel 86mm, w/ 411 center main

https://www.scatvw.com/product/82mm-chevy-rod-journal-type-1-all-mains/

I also need a set of 10mm studs that don't come with the #3 deep stud, as this case doesn't need case savers nor does it use the long stud. Todd Francis mentioned Raceware sells such a set but for $$$. Scat is also reported to sell these though I couldn't determine the stud lenght from their website.

This case is reported to be good for 600 horsepower which is far more than I'll ever see!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Shawn sells them. Any of the parts you need I would ask him for a price, some of the stuff is real reasonable and has on hand. The cranks are definitely a special order.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll reach out to Shawn about this. I also want his 51.5s but it'll be a little bit. My 2332 is 3rd in line right behind my Okrasa 36hp which is right behind my big bore 40 which has the head sent out for new guide and seat Very Happy

This 2387 beast is last place but still very important! Hopefully my next score will be the White Rhino for the above 2.3. I have the crank and rods assembled and sitting in the 12.5lb flywheel for a stable base.
gbaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

It will never happen but I'd love to see 3 identical motors run with a TF-1, aluminum bubbletop, and a mag.
Its weird, 3 pages and noone has mentioned anything about heat for a street strip car.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

Your crazy, you can't build a car with such a big engine for strip and street use. It will never last. you can't have your cake and eat it too... Wink Wink

Actually you can!! and when people pull you over and ask what kind of V8 is in it you will get a laugh out of them..
gbaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: my 2332 which engine case - White Rhino or TF-1? Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
Your crazy, you can't build a car with such a big engine for strip and street use. It will never last. you can't have your cake and eat it too... Wink Wink

Actually you can!! and when people pull you over and ask what kind of V8 is in it you will get a laugh out of them..

Actually I find it's more fun at the track when you just spent 15 minutes idling to get in the gate after driving 20 miles to the track with nothing but a fuel jug, lawn chair and a couple hand tools. Usually the only "street" guys that want to run you are bikes. The V8 guys dont like true street bugs that run mid 6's and 10's.

Last edited by gbaker on Thu May 07, 2020 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: