Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

I'm considering installing trans temp gauge to my Syncro trans.

Where do you install the sending unit / sensor?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

Without drilling and tapping the case you are somewhat limited. Ideally it would be in the actual fluid, so the obvious place would be the drain plug. You’d loose the magnet feature and that is a low point, so sensor wire might get hooked. Next option would be the fill plug. It’s above the fluid level, but going down the road, would have splash. Problem is at some point it might be reading case temp, not fluid temp. Can’t point to a place on the case that would be ideal if you were drilling and tapping. There’s a really good thread where member “Gears” goes through the ultimate Syncro build.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Without drilling and tapping the case you are somewhat limited.

Yes and ecumbering either fill or drain plug adds trouble.
Don't choose a location that creates an impediment to clean lubricant.
(if you're capable to drill/tap properly) Wink

I would not think even one second about the few soft magnesium bits that could escape if you pressurize the case while drilling and tapping. Magnesium is a very soft metal, and almost everyone is getting 150,000 miles driving around with with hardened steel throughout their trans lubricant.
Magnesium is almost a cushion in comparison to steel.

The hardest thing about it is convincing other people that tiny bits of magnesium can't possibly matter.
You know how they suggest, for confidence in public speaking, imagine that your audience is naked?
Imagine them telling YOU that magnesium is bad, yet driving with steel in the lubricant for 30,000 miles is "OK".
From this perspective, you can easily conclude that they are nuts (not you).. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A pretty good location is on the flat area (by the serial number).
The sensor is over on the left side of the pic.
I don't know whose pic this is.

The big brass unit is a thermoswitch (Weddle).
It's cheap but non-statisfying due to wild inaccuracy.
I do NOT prefer them.
You have to make a HUGE hole in your case.
And I had a run-in with the mfr (Nason) that was rather distasteful and Weddle didn't respond very favorably either.
But we're not talking about that thermoswitch.

There's plenty of space behind both of those locations, at least an inch, maybe towards 2 inches.

Pic from thasty07 thread: Syncro Transaxle temp sensor

There's something to be said for tapping it to 1/4NPT.
Then use a brass adapter 1/4NPT to 1/8NPT that you screw/glue in "once".
So your 'working thread' is then 'renewable'.
Also you can change it to 1/8-27NPT USA or 1/8-28 Metric if you have to.
And you can use a 1/4NPT sensor too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

Location of the sender on my 2WD manual trans...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

I did this on the driver side but I’m not sure it is effective. The hypothesis was that hot fluid would be tosses into this area. My gauge rises as the case temp rises but it is about 40’ cooler than the case. Could be my wire connections or sender or the location?

Super easy to do and I wouldn’t hesitate to drill on the trans in place.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

My first attempt was to JB weld a sensor in between fins on the transaxle. It was better than nothing but no where near as accurate as being able to "read" the gear oil temperatures. Drill and tap.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

Ok Sodo and Jim, I have to ask. What CV boots are those?

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

Can I get by with a shorter sender (see below), or does it need to be the longer one?

I can drill and tap, no prob.

Sodo wrote:
There's something to be said for tapping it to 1/4NPT.
Then use a brass adapter 1/4NPT to 1/8NPT that you screw/glue in "once".
So your 'working thread' is then 'renewable'.
Also you can change it to 1/8-27NPT USA or 1/8-28 Metric if you have to.
And you can use a 1/4NPT sensor too.

I will do this as well

Last edited by tjet on Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:
Ok Sodo and Jim, I have to ask. What CV boots are those?

Rockford 100mm CV boots.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle temperature sender - where to mount? Reply with quote

I asked my transmission builder and took a close look at the mechanicals and the most heat generating spot is the rear bearing, and that bearing is the most likely to fail because of the heat there and its isolation from oil circulation. So I glued a standard 10k temp sensor on the flat surface above the bearing using heat conducting glue. This applies to a 5-speed diesel trans, not Syncro. Should be the same principle though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: