Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Link

79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Original post has been completely edited to simplify and add new developments.
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
defunk3D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Stoked to be working with you on this, love your solution to this enviable creature comfort

defunk3D
(epic) here to keep classic vehicles existing, living, and working correctly, and then some

www.defunk3d.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Here are some detailed photos of the Westfalia Kit install using the GLIND heat exchanger and the TV-15 "Anti-Scald" valve. This design will heat water either in an "on-demand" style as you need it AND can heat the whole tank while driving using the digital temp controller.

In this pic, the wiring for the pump and recirculation valve has been prepped, two holes down through the floor have been drilled and the pex plumbing has been ran behind the kitchen to plumb to the sink and shower hook up box:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Using pex, these two pipe sets were easy to customize and fit perfect with extremely reliable connections:

starting with the hot side, the pex is put into position and fits perfectly. The hot water comes in thru the floor, and has a provision up to the "anti-scald" valve (not pictured) and also tees to the back corner where you can see the blue recirculation valve which sends hot water back to the tank:

The blue pex system added as well which draws from the tank, to the pump, to the GLIND heat exchanger and also has a provision for the cold side of the "anti-scald" valve.

View of the tank, insulated with prodex. The wire is for the sensor on the Temp Controller. I have had a sensor fail in the past so having connections at the tank make for an easy replacement. The red fittings match the OG ones really well and can accommodate 1/2" and 3/8" hose. Also, as a pex friendly alternative, are the commonly used 1/2" black bulkhead fittings(not pictured)

This next pic shows the marine hose added and the to and from tank lines plumbed in. Step by step it all comes together very smoothly:

In the new design, the pump is the only thing mounted to the divider board. This design has proved to be incredibly valuable, as getting into the system for maintenance or accessing the shore power system is very easy. (It was tested with likely the toughest test possible. After finishing this system and the customer enjoying it for a while, she decided the next thing on her list was to have the whole 110v system in her van overhauled, so I removed all outlets and all wires and updated, accommodating for a Xantrex Freedom XC 1000 - and the water system was easy to work around! Very Happy )

Here the "anti-scald" TV-15 valve has been added and plumbed in, other connections being made as well:

Here all connections are made and this is also what it looks like in "service mode" by removing the screws for the divider board and removing the pump swivel fittings and the electrical connector. Very easy to do:

Here everything is installed in normal working mode. The system all fits in areas in the van which aren't generally used anyway so it takes up 0 space in the van. Fully out of sight. the only thing carried is a small mesh sack with the shower head/hose/mount. This is the true beauty of this particular hot water solution.

View from underneath:

View from behind the fridge cabinet of the shower valve:

plumbing to the sink:

For more pics of the system, such as the temp controller and DeFunk3D controller mount and the system in use, see the original post of this thread.

Thanks and happy camping!!
79 bay window OLIVER
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Great set up, thanks for posting the details and showing how it works.

We’re currently stripping our ‘91 westy down for a re-paint this winter and will definitely be thinking about installing your system when we rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Here is the standard wiring for the temperature controller with the on off switch

Red and black are power and ground-
The yellow goes back to the valve (or sometimes to a second pump)
The brown wires are to extend the length of the probe wire, these I run all the way to the tank, I’ve had one probe go bad so it makes for an easy swap, probes are cheap and common-

Can also use an $8 15’ sensor probe which I’ll likely start including in the kits, search amazon for “CrocSee NTC 10K 5 Meters”
79 bay window OLIVER
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

I love that it uses the city water port outside, which never worked on mine.
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Royb wrote:
I love that it uses the city water port outside, which never worked on mine.

Totally, it doesn’t make a ton of sense to use city water in a Vanagon. Much more functional to have a water outlet than two inlets. Once installed, it feels like it was meant to be this way. Very Happy

79 bay window OLIVER
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

My system is cheaper and quite effective Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
My system is cheaper and quite effective Very Happy

Thanks for the reminder, incase anyone missed it on page one of this thread, or any other shower thread out there Laughing
79 bay window OLIVER
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

I believe I saw a system on here that uses an air heater (diesel heater) heat output to heat hot water. Does anyone know of the system?
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I believe I saw a system on here that uses an air heater (diesel heater) heat output to heat hot water. Does anyone know of the system?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone worked that out but I haven't seen it. They do have air heaters that are also liquid hydronic heaters. These hydronic heaters are pretty amazing and pair well with this system and pairs well with using the stock rear heater and the dash heater for that matter
79 bay window OLIVER
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Found it:

https://www.bobilvans.co.uk/product-page/bobil-air-xchange
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Hello,

Just wanted to report my Glind shower have been a great addition to our camping set up and have been working flawlessly for the last 2 years.

I also added a side shower from 23zero mounted with awning brackets on the rain gutter on the passenger side of the van, so it take like 30 seconds to set up the shower: unzip the shower, let it drop on it's own weight, unfold the arms of the shower, plug the shower hose, start the van, then voilà endless hot water.

The best part of this arrangement over my previous propane water heater is there is no bulky equipments consuming precious storage space inside the van while travelling.

Added bonus is everytime we use the shower, the aux battery get recharged via a DC-DC charger while the engine is idling.

Highly recommanded!

Will post picture next time I use it.

Mat
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

How long do you have to run your engine before water is warm?

I like the idea of "using the hot air expelled from your diesel heater to heat your water through the use of heat exchangers. "

Because really the only time I want/need hot water is when I am using the heater.

The Bobil advertises
Quote:
It heats a 12L tank from 20 to 60 degrees celsius in circa 15 minutes.

mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Hi Brandon,

It take +/- 5 to 10 minute of idling from a cold start to get hot water (EJ25 engine ) depending on the outside temp. Once the engine temp reaches 80 celcius ( I have an 78 celcius thermostat ) then I have hot water.

If I would take a shower upon arrival from a drive then you have hot water immediatly.

Thanks

Mat
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

I'm over in the UK at the moment, and will be purchasing one of these very soon, to bring back over to CA. I'll try to remember to document the installation and subsequent verdict. I'm usually useless at taking photos, I get too immersed in the process, but this time I'll really, really try, promise... Don't hold any breath!
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394066063034

I see China is now making these engine coolant preheaters that seem to operate the same way as the CDH. I wonder if you would repurpose something like this for an onboard water heater system.

Maybe it would make the water TOO hot?
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

Running a coolant heater like that would be perfect along with the Glind. Fire up the coolant heater instead of the engine and then the glind can pull heat off of the coolant as needed. You’d always have hot water as long as the coolant heater is running. Also your dash heater would always be hot and can warm the van, rear heater too if you have one of those. And the engine would be preheated as well. Might as well run a radiant floor while you’re at it! I have an 8 gallon and an 11 gallon diesel tank that is the size of a spare tire, both fit in the clam shell so that would fuel all that for a long time. It’s a fun idea to play with.
79 bay window OLIVER
mark cervelli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia and custom onboard hot water systems Reply with quote

I like this. But I thought I'd share another idea:

I recently installed a Camplux on demand water heater in my rear cabinet. I draw the water out of the tank, through a Shurflo on demand water pump, into the heater and then as you can see in the picture to the showerhead mounted on the rear cabinet. The propane comes from the abandoned refrigerator line. (I have a Truckfridge compressor type fridge). I cut a hole in the top of the cabinet, above the heater and then lined the area above the water heater with 20 ga sheet metal and aluminum tape. This is to vent the top of the heater and expel hot air. The sheet metal is there as a safeguard in case of fire. I use a computer fan to blow the warm air away though, to be honest, there isn't very much heat! The Camplux is very efficient! This system works very well! I hang a shower curtain on the rear hatch for privacy. It is held in place with magnets sewn into the edge of the curtain. I mounted a switch for the on-demand water pump. Once it builds pressure in the line the pump turns off. The shower head comes with an on/off valve on the handle. open the valve and the pump kicks on. The heater senses the water flow and kicks on heating the water. Shut off the valve on the shower head and the pump stops and the water heater shuts off. (no water flow, no heat).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: