Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

Hey Guys-
I'm putting together a 54' bug, it won't be anything spectacular just a good fun driver.
I recently went through the 36hp that came with it ; seems to be a late 59' production engine possibly type 2 original originally.
Good surprise to find it was rebuilt before and still Std/std all around. However the cam had some pitting so I got the WW okrasa cam as I might do a little tweaking of this engine down the road.
Eventually I may consider the WW kit, but for now it's going to stay single port/ single carb until I find some time to build a pair of manifolds to run another carb.

Anyway- any recommendation on jetting? Running a close to perfect 28pci right now but it has a little sputter on light throttle/ cruising. Jetting is stock- but this carb came with the plastic venturi which I swapped out for the metal one.

Also- does anyone shim valve springs? Not trying to build a street motor or anything- and I read a couple other threads about it / dual springs. Just can't decide if it's worth bothering/ overkill for this.

Lastly; I've found that this cam seems to need a ton of timing advance. It drives pretty good- I'm running a br25 distributor that seems to go to about 12-17* advance (when I can get the timing light to work); but it runs like garbage without tons of advance.

TIA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

I'm sorry not to have any jetting advice, but I do have a question for you - how/who did you get to install the old cam gear on the new WW cam?

I need to buy that cam as well and I'm not looking forward to having to send the cam out to get the my -2 gear unriveted/rerivetted on the new cam.

Nice looking 36er you have there btw.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

That’s an easy one- but in my case the cam/gear was already bolted together. I just replaced the bolts.

But all you do is drill/ dremel the rivets off the cam gear. You can take a grinder and just grind the heads of the original rivets flat and gently tap around the gear and it will separate. I always MARK CLEARLY the orientation of the gear to the cam just to avoid confusion.
The WW cam is already tapped so you just need some appropriate bolts with fairly low profile heads.
And before assembly drop the cam and oil pump in to verify clearance between your cam gear bolts and the back of the oil pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
That’s an easy one- but in my case the cam/gear was already bolted together. I just replaced the bolts.

But all you do is drill/ dremel the rivets off the cam gear. You can take a grinder and just grind the heads of the original rivets flat and gently tap around the gear and it will separate. I always MARK CLEARLY the orientation of the gear to the cam just to avoid confusion.
The WW cam is already tapped so you just need some appropriate bolts with fairly low profile heads.
And before assembly drop the cam and oil pump in to verify clearance between your cam gear bolts and the back of the oil pump.

Ah ok - sweet!!! I was making it out to be harder than it was.

Appreciate it!
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

check to make sure your heat riser is Clear. It does not look like the paint is dingy and burnt off the 1/2 side on yours so i would think its clogged and would cause lean Issues. Maybe try a stock distributor with the vac advance instead of the 010/br25. and also check that your advance mech isnt sticky or gummed up.

My stone stock 36er with clear manifold and vac advance runs a 122 Main and 50 idle. it runs great with only a little black in the tail pipes. I wouldnt have thought to run such a fat main would be ok, but even running non ethanol fuel, it seems todays gas dictates fatter mains than what you would think. I get 32mpg consistanly.

my .02
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

volksheime wrote:
check to make sure your heat riser is Clear. It does not look like the paint is dingy and burnt off the 1/2 side on yours so i would think its clogged and would cause lean Issues. Maybe try a stock distributor with the vac advance instead of the 010/br25. and also check that your advance mech isnt sticky or gummed up.

My stone stock 36er with clear manifold and vac advance runs a 122 Main and 50 idle. it runs great with only a little black in the tail pipes. I wouldnt have thought to run such a fat main would be ok, but even running non ethanol fuel, it seems todays gas dictates fatter mains than what you would think. I get 32mpg consistanly.

my .02

As soon as I get my front end back together I'll double check my jets. Pretty sure I'm on 122 main. I swapped the air correction jet for a 180 ( I think) last weekend and it seemed to help alot.
That heat riser was open at the time of the pic, and don't worry the paint burned off nice! Since that pic I have actually done some more work and did block that riser off. The hesitation was there when cold/ hot all around.

But..I just have to deal with this for a minute..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

might be a small vacuum leak - is your carb vac port properly plugged?
or something as simple as a plugged up progression hole in the carb.
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

volksheime wrote:
might be a small vacuum leak - is your carb vac port properly plugged?
or something as simple as a plugged up progression hole in the carb.

The symptom seems pretty consistent after swapping out 3 different carbs. I recently bought a replacement that could pass for NOS. It was rebuilt by someone, it is as tight as the day it was made and it helped some. There seems to be a sort of misfire that comes from #2 but I have new - plugs, wires, rings, lower end, camshaft, heads are great. No obvious reason that would be that I can find.
No vacuum leak revealed using starting fluid anywhere. Bugs me a little since #2 has a misfire before I rebuilt the engine TWICE, and that still seems to be the source of it. The ONLY part common to #2 from start to now is the manifold.
And the distributor - I guess. But I have reclocked the distributor to run #2 off a different conductor on the cap/ different plug wire etc...and still seems to misfire from there when it does at all.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Cam + Stock 36 hp : Valvetrain/ jetting Reply with quote

maybe check the valve train. bent pushrod, rocker arm damaged, rocker shims and springs in good shape? since it seems to be cylinder specific
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: