Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

if they put the rods on backwards that may do it as they are offset but not offset Shocked Confused
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Could you have left a key out on one of the crank gears? Did you remember the spacer?

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
if they put the rods on backwards that may do it as they are offset but not offset Shocked Confused
Yeah, it sounds to me kinda' like rods flopping around, or LOOSE rod bearings, or huge rod side clearance, but on a new engine? Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

This was the last picture that I took before buttoning up the case (literally - the sealant is on the case halves here). The rods all ran smoothly, no slop. Maybe I missed something but the rods all looked to be the right way round to me too...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everything seemed to turn smoothly until I installed the shims and torqued the flywheel for the last time.

There was noise before that as the crank moved back and forth within its endfloat. The only resistance to turning over was a light 'scrubbing' feel that I was expecting from fresh rings in new barrels.

Endfloat without shims was 0.83mm. I fitted 3 x 0.24mm shims which I calculated should bring the endfloat down to 0.11mm.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Sticky valve, pushrod or lifter?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

I'm sure it has to be a trick of the camera lens/angle, but that #1 rod looks tweaked. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Play between the cam gears?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

It sounds like a valve snapping shut. Pull the rockers and check
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

dizzy drive installed now yh?with dizzy in place?
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Did you put in #2 bearing...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Oh, boy! We're just grasping at straws, now... I hope you find it, but I don't know if it's gonna be solved over the internet anymore...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Tough to confirm in the picture, but is that a smallish gap I see between the cam thrust bearing and flange?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

When I assembled my stock 1600 I had a strange click followed by a bind that turned out to be a damaged spot on the crank gear that was made by the 3 jaw puller I used. Even though I cleaned the gear, drive, spacer and clip in the ultrasonic cleaner, washed and blew the parts dry and then assembled them on the crank I still missed it. Once I saw it I thought how the Eff did I miss that?? Took a little investigation to find it but I found it by process of elimination. I had to pull the crank back out and swap the gear. I was incredibly tempted to take the Dremel to the gear in place but since I had another assembled crank I pulled one off it and replaced it. I can see it making noise if I had assembled it. You're definitely going to have to take that back apart so let us know what you find.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

What happens if you take the flywheel off again?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

rushing liquid has something I agree with and have seen before. effed up crank gear tooth from the puller used. Ive also seen new cam gears that were wonkey too... wrist pin? circlip? someting in a chamber? piston contacting head? what was the finished assembled end float?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
When I assembled my stock 1600 I had a strange click followed by a bind that turned out to be a damaged spot on the crank gear that was made by the 3 jaw puller I used. Even though I cleaned the gear, drive, spacer and clip in the ultrasonic cleaner, washed and blew the parts dry and then assembled them on the crank I still missed it. Once I saw it I thought how the Eff did I miss that?? Took a little investigation to find it but I found it by process of elimination. I had to pull the crank back out and swap the gear. I was incredibly tempted to take the Dremel to the gear in place but since I had another assembled crank I pulled one off it and replaced it. I can see it making noise if I had assembled it. You're definitely going to have to take that back apart so let us know what you find.

If you dropped the crank in the case with the dist drive already there, it may have gotten dinged that way. I put the drive in after the crank, with the case open. The brass gear is easily boogered up
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

No, the crank gear that drives the cam gear, not the dist drive gear.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Just open it up, you will probably have to anyway...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

I backed off all the valve adjusters all the way, but the noise was still there.

Then I pulled the rocker arms and slid the pushrods back and the noise has stopped.

So what diagnostic can I do next?

I have a USB inspection camera and put that through the spark plug holes. I can't see any evidence of the valves having hit the piston crowns.

The noise sounded like it was coming from inside the case and I was starting to wonder if it was cam backlash that was becoming more evident because of drag caused by the lifters under pressure from the push rods.

I checked the lash during assembly and it was within spec. Plus I can't understand why that would cause the noise twice each revolution.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Double knock turning newly rebuilt engine over by hand Reply with quote

Your sound reminds me of what my engine was doing before teardown:

Link

After full teardown best I can figure was that there was some kind of tight spot between crankshaft and camshaft. Not sure if crankshaft was slightly bent or the engine was assembled with incorrect cam backlash (I didn't build it) or some other issue, but there was a noticeable tight spot in turning the engine over by hand plus this sound.

The video was taken with heads, rockers, and push rods on. As in your case, when I pulled the rockers and push rods the noise stopped (though the tight spot remained).

When I pulled the engine apart the camshaft gear had CRAZY backlash with the crank timing gear - it wasn't even all the way around (due to tight spot or bent-ness) but at the worst part of the cam gear I measured it at .017"!!!

The engine ran fine but sounded like a diesel - kind of a deep rattly sound from inside the case due presumably to the cam gear slapping around in there.

I think you're in for a teardown to see what's going on - maybe you have a main bearing not seated properly or something is bent.

How many places around the circumference of the cam gear did you check backlash?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: